AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I believe there is some discussion on the TAW forum regarding some settings for the G15 when paired with a Rock+ with SDI. I don't think the title of the thread references this subject, however. I think the thread was re something else, and in the course of the discussion, someone mentioned the brightness setting for this configuration being best at 180. I can't remember if they discussed other settings. You might need to do a seach on the TAW forum using the word brightness, within the last 30 days. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions once you get make your adjustments, as to how much an improvement SDI made to your G15's picture.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Speaking of TAW, what happened to TAW's posting of their Evolution DILA?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cut and paste from Taw site

I love when we release new products, its what I love the most about my job.

The projector is here!

Ill be posting some actual screen shots for this weekend.

The projector represents a new benchmark for digital projectors. Super quiet and great black levels and contrast.

I can now devulge some things that up till now have been a secret.

This is the first Digital projector that incorporates a anamorphic lens in the unit. So as your used to looking at round

lensed projectors, TAW sets the pace with the first rectangular lensed unit.

The unit has a 3:1 zoom lens and we are planning interchangable lenses that must be ordered with the unit (not field

installable)

Its super quiet ... 28 dB is the target. I think we may have reached it . I have not had time to confirm.

The unit looks like a big Digilink the front lens is bezeled like the DigiLinks VFD display. The finish is our well known black

anodize with the exception of two large gold anodized heat sinks on the top.

The anamorphic lens adds 33% more brightness and vertical resolution to 16:9 movies allowing the use of the entire 4:3

panel with the TAW processor stretching the image to fit the panel. The anamorphic lens squashes the image back to

normal as it leaves the projector.

Standing in front of the screen pixels are not viewable after 2 ft on a 120" diagonal screen. Using LCOS technology and

the anamorphic lens we have surpassed all other projectors pixel density. ALL that is seen is a super CRT like FLUID

picture.

The unit has DVI-D, Component, "S" and RGBHV inputs.

The Video Processor sold with this unit has a super DVI-D circuit added allowing over 50 ft runs to our proprietary DVI-D

projector.

All wires are hidden inside a wire channel behind a hinged brushed aluminum door on the side of the unit. All wires are

run to the bottom of the projector and cant be seen from the audience.

The IR receiver has been innovatively mounted behind the anamorphic lens giving it an incredible 180 degree line of site.

The anamorphic lens does the opposite for the IR. It stretches and magnifys the IR from the room to the receiver.

The unit comes with a quick release ceiling mount that can be used for both table top and ceiling with 360 (uses a ball

joint) rotation for perfect orientation EVEN on tilted ceilings up to 45 degrees!

Mounting of the projector takes a quick 2 second twist and 5 second pin. A one person job that can be done during a

commercial break.

The unit is not small. It measures 19" by 20" by 7" high and is ALL aluminum weighing in at just under 45 lbs.

If you want small, this is not the projector for you. If you want the best performing quietest Digital projector with a full

1365 by 1024 resolution on 16:9 material and no color wheel, this projector may fit the bill....

And what is the bill?

Plans are to retail the unit for $19,500.00

A matched TAW video processor is planned to be sold as a mate to the unit.

Pre-production units will be available within 6 weeks thru our best (Gold) dealers only. Limited in quantity.

First large quantity production run is planned for CEDIA.

This is a very exciting day for the Home theater industry and TAW.

Stay tuned for more info....

Phi

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was talking to someone in the industry who new about this unit and it is the same light engine the Hitachi uses with the Panamorph (glass only) put in a custom (big) box. Under 5k total (manufacture cost) marked up to 20K.

Add to this the cost of the new scaler ($$$$) and WOW.

Runco is cheaper!

Hitachi $5500

Panamorph $1200

Faroudja NR $2900

Total $9600.

Is Phils custom case worth $11000?

·
Banned
959 Posts
Tom, you never did answer my question about who you work for and what your (bad) relationship to TAW is.

I ask you this because you seem to have strong knowledge of the way the industry works and were at ces. I also note almost half of your posts to date have been negative ones about TAW. (about 80% of your posts are negative in general, you paid to much, this product isn't good, ect.) What gives. Are you a competator, disgruntled with TAW, a troll? You give little info in your profile. I think it would give your posts more clarity if we knew your agenda.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi James

Regarding your question, lets reverse it back to you. Any negative posts about Taw and you are right there. You never admit to them being wrong with anything even if they clearly are. You always cover everything up and say how wonderful they are. Are you on payroll, are you mindless does Phil tell you what to say? (it appears so).

I am just a end user with an interest in the industry. I have been lucky to meet a few people at the shows who pass along inside scoops. Theres more than you think going around about Taw (its all over,you dont have to look very hard) buts its not my place to post this stuff but I will comment on existing threads if its something I disagree with and have inside info about.

There are some things Taw has clearly botched up but you still jump to the defense. Get some B$% and admit Phil has made some bad business decisions. Put some shorts on.

I have made plenty of posts off topic to Taw.

I think Taw has some great ideas for products but as a company I think my posts speak for themselves.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cambell
I was talking to someone in the industry who new about this unit and it is the same light engine the Hitachi uses with the Panamorph (glass only) put in a custom (big) box. Under 5k total (manufacture cost) marked up to 20K.

Add to this the cost of the new scaler ($$$$) and WOW.

Runco is cheaper!

Hitachi $5500

Panamorph $1200

Faroudja NR $2900

Total $9600.

Is Phils custom case worth $11000?
Tom,

I’m sorry, but you are wrong. What you state is NOT true. Please wait for the actual product to be released, then all questions will be answered.

I can't say more due to an NDA, sorry.

We all wish it was as easy as that, but it's not. If you can make a projector that looks as good as the Evolution, TAW will buy it from you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is why I respond to the Taw posts.

Dave if you cant pass any info then why post. Your post gives us no useful information except the comment you'll see?

This is all we ever get. This is what gets people going.

If you cannot post or divulge any useful info then your better off not posting.

You say you do not work for Taw your just a dealer and then you say your under NDA. What company has their dealers sign an NDA. None.

If your under NDA then you go beyond dealer status.

I'm not mocking this just pointing this out. This adds to the confusion of how Taw does business. Does it ever stop.

You seam a knowledgeable dealer and come off proud of the products you represent. Nothing wrong with that.

When your projector ships if it indeed its superior to the combo I mentioned that can be bought now for 10k I will be the first to compliment Taw on a new set benchmark. For the additional 10k in cost I hope we see something in performance that sets this unit a pace ahead of other projectors and not just in pretty looks.

Technology is at a point where it has been maximized. We are all waiting for that next projector breakthrough that will give us silk blacks. Maybe this is it. Hopefully this unit will be better in this department superior to what the Hitachi or Dila are offering now:)

Wow Im no longer just a new member. Taw has helped me along to a new status level. Thank you:)

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
Hi James

Regarding your question, lets reverse it back to you. Any negative posts about Taw and you are right there. You never admit to them being wrong with anything even if they clearly are. You always cover everything up and say how wonderful they are. Are you on payroll, are you mindless does Phil tell you what to say? (it appears so).

I am just a end user with an interest in the industry. I have been lucky to meet a few people at the shows who pass along inside scoops. Theres more than you think going around about Taw (its all over,you dont have to look very hard) buts its not my place to post this stuff but I will comment on existing threads if its something I disagree with and have inside info about.

There are some things Taw has clearly botched up but you still jump to the defense. Get some B$% and admit Phil has made some bad business decisions. Put some shorts on.

I have made plenty of posts off topic to Taw.

I think Taw has some great ideas for products but as a company I think my posts speak for themselves.
You still didn't answer my question. Your just like eric in that you skip over the questions and go to the counter attack. Please read the question again so i don't have to re-type it. You obviously have not read my posts as thoroughly as i have read yours. Although i am a happy rock owner, i have stated several times that i disagree with the way taw has handled the three minor service problems that have gotten you and eric in such a tizzy. I just don't think any of them rose above minor annoyance and i like to counter the exxageration and lies that are posted. I also do not cover things up, am not on the payroll, am not mindless and phil does not tell me what to say. In fact, in the year and a half i have been a customer, i have only ever talked to phil on the phone twice. I have and do now admit that TAW has made some bad bussiness decisions. So what? In the overwhelming majority of cases they have provided one of the best products on the market with great customer service. That speaks for itself, when not shouted down by exaggeration and lies. I have stated before, i also own an htpc and would be willing to buy any reasonably priced scaler that could beat out the rock. I have tried most of them, and it isn't out there. Because i am not an employee of taw and because i have personally demoed most of whats out there, i think that is relevant info for someone looking for a scaler. Those are the only people i'm interested in. I know you and eric are biggot's (to borrow a name from Ofer) about Taw and i don't care. I only care that people looking for a scaler get good info. If you continue to post this crap and nobody says anything, some people might start to believe it. if you look at my posts, i don't think you'll find me intentionally evading any questions or posting innacurate or misleading info. now that you know about me, what about you? what's your beef with TAw?

·
Banned
959 Posts
Quote:
This is why I respond to the Taw posts.

Dave if you cant pass any info then why post. Your post gives us no useful information except the comment you'll see?

This is all we ever get. This is what gets people going.

If you cannot post or divulge any useful info then your better off not posting.

Thank you:)
If you read the very long and detailed description of the new product above his post, i think you'll find everthing but the proprietary info. He probably didn't want to re-type it all. His post gave everyone very useful information. He said you were wrong and that what you state is not true. I think i have already made that point several times. as far as not posting if you don't have any info----PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok James if you feel the issue's that Taw former customers have posted to this forum were minor annoyance (in your words) or lies then we are all glad your not running the company.

I'm sure anyone of them reading your post would take that as an understatement.

Regarding DaveH please tell us what useful information that we can all use that came from Daves post? It was nothing more than a Your wrong and I told you so.

Are you saying I am wrong in what I stated about the contents of the projector. You have no idea who my sources are. They are accurate.

After seeing the Faroudja dila with the panamorph on the outside I will say the Taw unit will look far more satisfying.

I hope we see the performance to match the price tag. If so I may actually buy one and tell everyone on this forum I own a Taw product and proud of it.

I have a very strong business ethic that the customer comes first no matter what. This is where I have a problem with Taw. When I read some of the complaints from former customers and the childish rules set by Taw that seem to change daily I feel very bad for the end user.

If only Taw had responded in a positive way to those few who did complain online Im sure the time and money invested to turn the situation into a positive would have brought financial returns 3 fold. Any successful business entrepreneur can tell you this.

I concider myself one but Im in a different line of work. HT is my hobby:)

·
Banned
959 Posts
i am not sure how long you've been looking at this board before you started posting. Taw has very good reason not respond here. some of it has to do with the way phil handled some situations. But most of it had to do with a small handful of virulant taw bashers. ericbee was and is one of them. Strangely, several have now been converted. it got to a point were the just couldn't win so the stopped trying about a year ago. that's why posting these minor tiffs over hear are mainly bashing, because the people should know they won't be responded to by taw. Most reasonable people who contact the company directly are dealt with fairly. there just will be no satisfaction from posting over here and most know they are stirring up a hornets nest that goes way back. it just doesn't accomplish anything. I would say one or two of the complaints, and i do consider a $100-150 dispute after you have owned a product for over a year ,in unusual circumstances, or $30 in shipping fees that are clearly not paid for in an agreement you sign before you pay, are minor. of course the people posting don't think they are minor and of course the taw bashers see an oppurtunity to foam. Maybe they could have been handled differently, but we will only ever hear one side. taw has one of the few best options out there. I have heard and experienced many more extraordinary service responses than the three minor complaints posted here. let's keep that in mind when we decide how horrible they are.

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Quote:
...Regarding DaveH please tell us what useful information that we can all use that came from Daves post...
I did indeed gave useful info, I said you are wrong. That's very useful to all the potential customers out there interested in this unit. You are right in some instances, but wrong in others. There are too many modifications to this unit to assume that it's just those pieces slammed into a bigger box with the price jacked up. Who do you think we are, Faroudja:rolleyes:??? (I know you're going to have fun with that one, so go ahead, hehehe:p!!!)

Quote:

...It was nothing more than a Your wrong and I told you so...
No, it was nothing more than... "you're wrong, and I can't tell you why" (due to NDA).

Quote:

...You have no idea who my sources are. They are accurate...
So stop beating around the bush and reveal your sources. Who are they? What's the matter, do you have an NDA with them;)??? My source is direct from Phil himself, you can't get any more "accurate" than that.

Is Tom Cambell even your real name? At least reveal who you are, as James Bond asks:mad:!!!

Quote:

...I concider myself one but Im in a different line of work. HT is my hobby:)
As it is with all of us affiliated with TAW, what's your point? We were all just enthusiasts when we started this, maybe that's why there's a learning curve with some of the business matters. If that's the case, I personally apologize on behalf of TAW and myself, even though I have no final say at this point what TAW does or does not do. I can only give my opinion, which I hope they take under advisement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.