AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Well yesterday was a sad day. My girlfriend's nephew was over who is about one or two and he picked up a decorative rock on the coffee table and threw it right at the screen of my TV.

The TV is a 52inch Sony Bravia XBR4. The rock put a whole in the bottom of the screen and it spidered the glass around it. There is now bright red, green and blue lines from the whole to the top of the TV.

My questions is: Is there any point in seeing about having this repaired?

My guess is no point and its now time to buy an XBR9 but what curious what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

-Dennis

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That repair will cost more than its worth. Time to upgrade. I'd keep the ammo off the coffee table this time. Ahh man..

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
If you have homeowners insurance it will cover the cost of the damage minus the policy deductible.

If the kids parents have homeowners insurance, their policy will cover the acts of their children when they do property damage to others.

No deductible is applied to the second situation as it is a liability coverage loss, so the parents won't be out anything if you file a claim against their insurance company.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/17013648

If you have homeowners insurance it will cover the cost of the damage minus the policy deductible.

If the kids parents have homeowners insurance, their policy will cover the acts of their children when they do property damage to others.

No deductible is applied to the second situation as it is a liability coverage loss, so the parents won't be out anything if you file a claim against their insurance company.

You learn something new everyday, I had no idea Homeowner's Insurance(s) could be applied in this manner, to this situtation. Guess I should read my policy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu /forum/post/17013974

You learn something new everyday, I had no idea Homeowner's Insurance(s) could be applied in this manner, to this situtation. Guess I should read my policy

Same here, my only real thought is whether or not my premium would then go up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/17014189

I'm not sure the kids parents can be held accountable since the child was in your/GF's care. A question for a lawyer if the parents won't pay.

Was not in my girlfriends care, her sister stopped over with the kid. Everyone was in the same room, all except for me. So I see it as the parent(s) responsibility for what thier child has done. Not trying to be rude about it with them, its just now I am stuck with a busted up BRAVIA.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm316 /forum/post/17014326

Was not in my girlfriends care, her sister stopped over with the kid. Everyone was in the same room, all except for me. So I see it as the parent(s) responsibility for what thier child has done. Not trying to be rude about it with them, its just now I am stuck with a busted up BRAVIA.

If the parent was present, I would think she would be responsible. Hopefully she will do the right thing.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/17013648

Have you had a similar experience or in the insurance biz. I can see it being covered if the damage occurred do to some natural disaster. but whats to keep someone from throwing a rock into there TV when they are ready to upgrade?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is a photo I took with my Blackberry, the particles all over the screen are from the commercial. The rainbow streaks on the left side were from the infamous rock.

I will take a picture tonight when I get home of the actual hole and spydering.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
denm316 - A few questions, if I may.

1. Is she still your girlfriend?

2. Did the mother punish the child, at all? Probably too young, so I may know the answer to this one.

3. You have a pet rock on your coffee table? Dude, it's 2009. Don't you watch HGTV?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenC /forum/post/17014618

denm316 - A few questions, if I may.

1. Is she still your girlfriend?

2. Did the mother punish the child, at all? Probably too young, so I may know the answer to this one.

3. You have a pet rock on your coffee table? Dude, it's 2009. Don't you watch HGTV?

1. Yes, still my girlfriend. She is more upset because she loved the glass bezel on the XBR4.

2. To young for the discipline I think. Also seeing as the mother didnt really care, basically said she is really sorry and left.

3. It was rocks around a candle, the Pet Rock was out being walked at the time.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm316 /forum/post/17014068

Same here, my only real thought is whether or not my premium would then go up.

Homeowners insurance premium may go up and possibly you will be cancelled. Google "homeowner insurance cancellation". You might not want to file a claim on your policy, but file against the parents' policy. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm316 /forum/post/17014636

2. To young for the discipline I think. Also seeing as the mother didnt really care, basically said she is really sorry and left.

The brats mom didnt really care,,, I think that would piss me off more than anything else !!!!!

Sounds like the kids mom is a real prize,,,,, just says sorry, acts like Ohh well, and walks out the door with mini saten.

I think any rational caring person/parent in the world would be offering to and doing everything they could to pay you back for the distroyed panel.

Is your GF going to get her sister to make it right or does your GF have any plans on beating the hell out of her sister ?

Is your GF being extra extra super duper nice to you ?

Is the sister 86'ed from your house for life ?

A kid just throwing a rock at your panel,,, that just sucks beyond suck,,, I would be just sick over it,,,,,,,geeze, Im pissed and upset just reading about it,,,,, so sorry that happened to you.

Do keep us posted on what happens, with the TV, the GF, and the low life mom.

And yes, do post pictures.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
If the child is old enough to walk, pick up a rock, and throw it the child is old enough for discipline. Children under 1yr cannot be held responsible for their actions, once they are a year old they need to be held accountable. There is a lot of difference between a 1yr old and a 2yr old, discipline according to age.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts