AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HK3475 stereo receiver ($400) and the Rocket 750 speakers. I want to upgrade the amp enough to make a difference in sound quality. I only listen to music, and do not have a sub at this time.

Should I buy a new amp and plug it into the "preamp out" part of the HK, and if so, what's recommended? Or, I can sell the HK to a friend, and start over. I would love to buy "used" on Audiogen and get more bang for my buck. I'm listening to CD's and DVD-A's, and may hook up a turntable later. I don't care about the tuner portion, and don't need it. I'd spend $600 or so. Thanks for any comments.

S.P. Jones
[email protected]

·
Registered
597 Posts
From my experiences, and hopes of saving you a few dollars; I would not suggest you upgrade anything, with the exception of a powered sub. I believe the 3475 should be very capable of producing quality sound from those speakers. I am not a Rocket owner, but suspect that they are of at least good quality within their price point. I am a little more familiar with HK gear, and it usually has a very dependable amp stage.

Is it possible that your disatisfaction could be caused by speaker placement? It could well be that the best upgrade for your system would be a RadioShack(tm) SPL meter and a few hours of your time.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The rockets are big, with 5 drivers and a healthy crossover, the more clean power you provide those babies the better.

Many good speakers are not super efficient, and the Rockets are probably not the most efficient speakers out there.

My 550s came alive when I upgraded the power, there is going to be a point of diminishing returns, but I expect that hasn't been reached, I know I haven't yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coach,

I like your answer the best ($$$)! But it makes me wonder, my stereo receiver can be bought new for less that $300 (I paid more). So what's all the hoopla about (re Rotel, B&K, NAD, etc.) if it's not better sound? No dissatisfaction was expressed re the Rocket 750's, only the question about improving even further my satisfaction...the audiophile bug has bitten!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.