AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Having heard both, I'd agree w/ cschang on his suggestion...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I haven't heard the Ascend center speaker but I have the ELT center and mains. I think they are an exceptional offering at an even better price. If you are in the Chicago area I would be more than happy to let you audition mine. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
They are both good centers.

If you are interested in the systems, if you can do it, get a listen to the centers and mains for each.

I have heard both systems. While the centers are both good in their own right, I think the performance and accuracy of the CBM-170 surpasses that of the ELT mains/surrounds. And the VTF-2 subwoofer IMO easily out performs the ELT sub. The ELT sub does blend very well with the ELT mains.

The package cost of five CBM-170's and a VTF-2, depending on your location, is approximately $200-300 more than the delivered price of the ELT system.

In any case, definitely do what you can to listen to both. Each company offers exceptional value and customer service. You will not go wrong in working with either of them.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
thiruvil,

Where are you located?

Many people around willing to demo....whether it would be Ascends or ELTs.

Ascend ships to you for a small handling fee....not the full shipping amount. But when you ship back to them, you will actually pay the shipper directly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where are you located? There are a number of people that have the ELT system and would be happy to let you demo them.

If not, have you considered just getting the Center to demo? Shipping couldn't be more than $25.00 on that...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hi Thiruvil,

Both are great speakers...choose the one that sounds best to YOUR ears. The ELT is a 3-way design that we feel works best for center-channel duty, as opposed to the 2-way Ascend. If you can get a set of Ascends to compare, I'll send you the ELT center at our cost (you simply pay for the speaker...I'll cover the shipping). If you end up choosing the Ascends, send me back the ELT (should only be around $15.00 or so depending on where you're located...you can use the cheapest method possible) and we'll refund 100% of your money. If you like the ELT, it's yours and the shipping is on us.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on each!

·
Registered
605 Posts
WOW that mighty nice of you Steve! I would definitely jump on that offer thiruvil! Good luck with the audition and let us know what you think!

Curtis, wanna let me borrow one of you 340's to audition...I'll let you pay the shipping! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Steve

That would be awesome! I've heard such great things about the ELT's and Ascends that its become such a hard decision! I will let everyone know how they sound against each other for those trying to make the same decision. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Of all the speakers in the ELT package - the one I think is just remarkable is the center.

Don't get me wrong - great package - good price point. But the center is simply outstanding for its price point. I auditioned several centers at 2-3X the price and the ELT Center was quite capable of holding it's own. In fact the center that clearly beat it - was the Rocket Bigfoot at more than 2x the price.

Some of the advantages...very articulate, plays at ref with no distortion, clear dialogue - some movies/stations have dialogue exchanges that are almost inaudible due to the frequency range - this causes a high/low effect. Turn up the volume to hear one, ooops turn it down quick cause the other is over powering. The ELT center resolves this quite nicely.

It also is very good on TV/audio - you know - where there can be minute feedback in some of the really cra**y broadcasting that is done, the tones are handled in such a way that there is littel distortion that is perceived by the listener. (Don't get me wrong - it does not FIX bad audio - just makes it more tolerable to hear:))

From a sound stage perspective with the surrounds - the timbre matching is excellent. I have often played 5 channel music and cannot detect any change in timbre. localization etc. In fact it is really apparent when you take a 5 channel peice and then play a two channel version of the same peice. Most folks will swear your center is still on and not be able to decipher any tonal change.

There are better centers - however, the ones I have heard that are substantially better, have a significant price increase as well.

Hope you get a chance to "hear" the ELT C as I think you will be most impressed. Try it out on some challenging peices.

Good Luck

Therese

·
Registered
558 Posts
I sent you a message earlier today thiruvil...I'll grab your reply tomorrow and we'll get this thing out of here. Have a great night.

Quote:
Originally posted by thiruvil
Thanks Steve

That would be awesome! I've heard such great things about the ELT's and Ascends that its become such a hard decision! I will let everyone know how they sound against each other for those trying to make the same decision. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wpwj40e
Of all the speakers in the ELT package - the one I think is just remarkable is the center.

Some of the advantages...very articulate, plays at ref with no distortion, clear dialogue - some movies/stations have dialogue exchanges that are almost inaudible due to the frequency range - this causes a high/low effect. Turn up the volume to hear one, ooops turn it down quick cause the other is over powering. The ELT center resolves this quite nicely.

I love the center, too! No more yo-yo-ing the volume.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.