AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what time AudioRevolution updates their website??? The Rocket review is scheduled to be published TODAY :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
In anticipation of this review, I suggest the reviewer compare the Rockets to Revel Ultima and Wilson Watt Puppies, a la the great speaker shootout. Like Scooby Doo vs Scrappy Doo.

Also, why do some reviewers on AudioRevolution mention the guitars they own? What does this have to do with a review? What makes an Eric Clapton signature strat such a big deal? It is a commodity guitar. I got one and a Hendrix one and a Jeff Beck one. Nothing special. I'll trade all three for a Wilson sub. You want rare? How about a Joe Satriani chrome boy or Kirk Hammett signature esp? Or a true vintage Les Paul, Strat or Telecaster?

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's up.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Well, I guess the reviewer liked the Rockets. He really did seem to nail them pretty well. He must have liked them so much it sounds like he spent quite a lot of time with them. They are being compared to some pretty well respected brands, but that actually doesn't surprise me, as I spent the summer listening to as many good speakers as I could during my travels, and the Rockets still pulled away from most of them in my estimation.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The review stated repeatedly about the top end seeming a little rolled-off...

I know this is by design, and reduces the fatigue that more "detailed" speakers can cause...But here is my question...

My reference right now is the Diva 6.1. In 5 channel mode, I can't even compare Diva's Center channel, it still dissapoints...

How much brighter, or rolled off are the 750's relative to the 6.1's? I know most of you prefer the 750's...actually I have yet to hear anyone say "Not thanks, I'll keep my Diva's..."

I like detail...I dread fatigue, as SWMBO will just ask that it be turned down sooner :)

I agree the review was excellent for Mark and hios team...sounded a little canned though, almost like the reviewer read "The Thread" and just massaged his comments...It also sounded like he was "searching" for faults, so as not to appear too biased...A little pessimistic on my behalf, probably.

I, for one, can't wait to here the Rocket's next to the Diva's...and will definitely let my own ears decide, as we all must do.

Thanx

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This is a very positive review. But note that the reviewer did stop short of making very strong claims for the value of the speakers. He repeats AV123's goal of making these the best $5,000/pr of speakers - for just $1400. However, in his conclusion, he simply states that they are the best $1400/pr speaker on the market. That the 750's midrange is "reminiscent" of a speaker costing twice as much (but didn't say they were the best of speakers in the $2800/pr range).

Likewise for the system package, he says that they are a bargain at $2199 and that the next time someone asks him for a recommendation in the $2000 price range, he will answer - Rocket!

He does not state that these are the best speakers available for under $2500/pr, nor that the system package would be his recommendation if someone had $4000. He had an opportunity to make such statements, but stopped short of doing so.

His strongest statements are concerning the center channel speaker, which he felt was worthy of consideration for matching with $12,000 Revel speakers. And it being competitive with centers in the $1500 price range.

So this is a very positive review, with the reviewer strongly endorsing them as the best in their price class. But hedging on his comments as to them being so great that they would be worth 2-3 times their asking price.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like this quote, speaking of Mark's internet only sales plan.

"This stuff gets me fired up because, if successful, it’s a worthy news story. "

Gee, maybe we should all start discussing these Rocket Speakers ?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil
This is a very positive review. But note that the reviewer did stop short of making very strong claims for the value of the speakers. He repeats AV123's goal of making these the best $5,000/pr of speakers - for just $1400. However, in his conclusion, he simply states that they are the best $1400/pr speaker on the market. That the 750's midrange is "reminiscent" of a speaker costing twice as much (but didn't say they were the best of speakers in the $2800/pr range).

Likewise for the system package, he says that they are a bargain at $2199 and that the next time someone asks him for a recommendation in the $2000 price range, he will answer - Rocket!

He does not state that these are the best speakers available for under $2500/pr, nor that the system package would be his recommendation if someone had $4000. He had an opportunity to make such statements, but stopped short of doing so.

His strongest statements are concerning the center channel speaker, which he felt was worthy of consideration for matching with $12,000 Revel speakers. And it being competitive with centers in the $1500 price range.

So this is a very positive review, with the reviewer strongly endorsing them as the best in their price class. But hedging on his comments as to them being so great that they would be worth 2-3 times their asking price.

Tom B.
Hello Tom...

I would completely agree with your points and observations...

I think that with all reviews they MUST actually temper sometimes -- rather than really get out on the limb... I know many many reviewers... and most seem to work that side of the street... :)

I also think that in editing this review may have been toned down a bit (just my guess)... as AR has some pretty heavy hitters as advertisers... I did speak with Bryan and Jerry del Colliano last week... and they seem to think very highly of the product...

I'm very satisfied with Bryan's review... and I have no issue with his comments (as a whole)... We are off to a good start review-wise... but my advice is always to get them in your own listening environment and then decide...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil

Tom B.
Hello Tom...

Today I had occasion to chat with Jerry del Colliano, Publisher of Audiorevolution.com. We chatted for quite some time about Rocket, and specifically about the comments from this thread about our speakers vis-a-vis the review.

With Jerry’s complete permission I’d like to quote his personal reaction to the Rocket review… “in the history of audiorevolution.com there has only been (perhaps) 5 or so reviews so completely positive about a product (specifically speakers)… and NEVER have we given this kind of review to something anywhere near this price range. I can only remember this kind of (rave) review for the Wilson Watt / Puppy, the Revel Salon, the Mark Levinson #32, and perhaps the Vidikron Vision One. None of these Mark are anywhere near the $1400 dollar price of your RS 750… let alone the comments we made on your Center Channelâ€â€¦

Needless to say… this made my day… I wanted to send this along, as I felt YOUR comments (as previously noted) were completely valid... That said... I felt really comfortable knowing how Bryan (and now Jerry) felt about the products... and the review... Sometimes we have to read between the lines... and interpret the uninterpretable... :) (I also mentioned some thoughts about this in my earlier reply...) In any event...

Thanks… and all the best…

mls

·
Registered
466 Posts
Mark,

So when will you annouce where and when the other reviews for the speakers will be?

....this is getting interesting to me!!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Mark,

Thanks for the followup, I guess Jerry was trying to rave about the speakers, however his logic is a bit hard to follow. For example, you quote him as saying "and NEVER have we given this kind of review to something anywhere near this price range." However, as I pointed out earlier, the review pulled it's punches a bit on its language/superlatives. So I'm a bit confused about the review not going to great lengths to praise the speaker, yet Jerry now saying that the review is incredibly positive. The two statements don't perfectly correlate to me.

Likewise in that they said the center compared with others that sell for around $1500. This is not the price range of a Watt/Puppy. So I can't make sense of this.

So I will assume that what he is meaning to say is that they were very, very impressed by the Rockets, regardless of their price.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
So I will assume that what he is meaning to say is that
This is why I tend to dislike 'professional' reviews and why I favor forums like these. You are getting to assume what they meant in their review.

They have said one thing in private, and a watered-down version to the public. Since we get to 'see' both reviews (thanks to Marks comments), we get to see how the review in publication is most likely altered to not step on any toes.

It is hard to get a true review out of any magazine or enthusiast website (professional opinions only) anymore. Everyone needs their advertisizing buck, so they don't dare talk bad about the competition.

On the other hand, I can read reviews at sites like this one and find users that seem to have experiences and tastes like mine. There are reviews written that are just as detailed and actually mean something, since the authors aren't worried about losing a buck from an advertiser (they just have to worry about flames. Don't you dare dislike those Diva 6.1s.. :) ). Of course, there are plenty of reviews from people that went from KLH->speaker x which aren't very useful to me, but to other people that own KLH and want to upgrade they might be very useful. Hence, the reason for the existance of forums like these. Real reviews from real people.

And to think I don't even own Rockets...(the 750s are nice).

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine
I can't imagine a professional reviewer worth his weight in dog poop actually saying that one particular speaker is "worth 3 times its asking price." That's quite frankly not his job. His job is to say what he likes/dislikes about the speaker (hopefully backed up with some data) and to let the consumer decide whether or not he or she thinks the speaker is worth its asking price.

There are at least three reasons why I find the "worth 3 times its asking price" statement a lost cause:

(1) Speakers are subject to human preference. What might be worth $6000 to me might only be worth $600 to someone else.

(2) At least *part* of the reason why people are attracted to $6000 speakers is because they cost $6000. I call it the "Lexus Principle" and if you don't think it's a big part of audiophilia then you should frankly find another hobby (not wine or cigars, btw).

(3) If ********** releases a $6000 speaker package next year, is the $2000 Rocket package going to be just as good as the $6K package? If not then the "3x asking price" isn't true.

So, in my mind, let the reviewer say that the Rockets sound fabulous or that he thinks they are a great value... But price comparisons aren't what I'm looking for.

--Steve
Steve,

I think that's a very succinct analysis of the of the situation, plus I think we all tend to read too much between the lines in an effort to bend the reviewers POV to our own. Second guessing what this guy was thinking is pointless, and the review should be taken at face value.

All in all, this particular article was a very nice endorsement of the Rockets, and I think Mark and gang should be congratulated.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Commercialized reviews are great...in that they get the word out for a particularly segment of the population...Making those of us who took the plunge sometimes feel better...

We've all noticed that very rarely is a bad review published...and I'm sure manufacturers send equipment that doesn't quite stack up...Do you think Magazines refuse to publish the "bad ones"...or the manufacturers get a heads-up, and then withdrawl the request???

I agree with Kendrid, no where can you get the opinions of a 100+ people with varied backgrounds and then form your own opinons...

And, I'm finding that the more I visit, and get the "know" the frequent members...the more I can judge the merits of their comments, in terms of how it might relate to my needs..

Awesome resource...

Thanx to Dave and Co.

p.s. No, I'm not an advertiser, here. :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:
I can't imagine a professional reviewer worth his weight in dog poop actually saying that one particular speaker is "worth 3 times its asking price."
Check here:

To paraphrase:

Quote:
If you want to move into something that approaches cost-no-object type performance for nothing near the commensurate price, check out the Active/40, my new benchmark for speaker performance in the $2000 price bracket. In terms of high-end speakers, the Active/40s are actually cheap -- and even cheaper yet because they have their own amplifiers. Go ahead and compare the Active/40s to speakers that cost up to $6000, perhaps more, and I'll wager that they more than hold their own against most -- and in many cases they will likely come out the winner. Not even contemplating price, the Active/40 is an outstanding speaker. Considering what it costs -- and what you get -- it’s a steal.
YMMV:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
If you've read the current issue of SGHT you should be able to find Mike Fremier's review on the Newtons and that's what I would consider a not-too-nice review. Don't forget to check the manufacturer's feedback section.

PF

·
Registered
799 Posts
I actually listened to both the Paradigm Active 40 & an ATC active monitor (in different stores) and prefer the ATC (forgot the model #) more.

PF

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.