AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience using Rocket Dipole surrounds with non-rocket front speakers? I have Revel F30's and C30 in front, and currently have Linn Katan's in the rear. The room is fairly narrow and long (10' wide by 24' long), with the back half of the room open to the adjacent living room area (L- shaped room). I know its not ideal for HT, but its all I've got for now.

Currently I have a 5.1 setup with the Linns mounted on the backwall. I would like to transition to a 7.1 system, using dipoles on the sides, adjacent to the listening position, which is about 12' from the front wall (halfway back in the room). I was looking at the Revel S30's, but they specify that they should be mounted 20 degrees behind the listening position (they are switchable monopole/dipole, and are angle such that the ideal position is above/behind). While I like this idea, the open area on the right side of my room won't allow me to mount a speaker there (at least not without some kind of special mounting).

The Rockets look real nice (my Revels have a similar look, rosewood w/ white drivers). I could get them and use them as surrounds in 5.1 to see if I liked the effect (I've never had dipole surrounds). The eventual plan would be to get another 2 channel amp to the mains, a 7.1 pre/pro, and use the Revels in front, rockets as side surrounds, and the Linns as back surrounds in a 7.1 setup.

So my question is: Does anyone who has heard the Rockets think they would match the Revels in general tonal quality? Also, how important is it that the surrounds be matched, as the have a diffuse soundfield and are going to sound quite different than the front speakers in any case? Finally, I would be driving these speakers with my Sunfire CG 200 w/chl amp. Are these speakers capable of handling high power and outputting high spl for movies?

I am trying to decide on my next upgrade path, and right now putting dipoles on the sides seems like the best bet. I think I may be missing a lot of the immersive surround effect by the current setup (plus I am not sure that the pre/pro I want is currently out; I'll probably get something along the lines of Integra DTC 9.4, but with HDMI and firewire, and PLIIx. I'm not sure I want to spend the money for the new Integra RDC 7.1; which pretty much does everything I want it to do).

Thanks for any input (specific to the rockets, or general comments).

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have a Rocket setup, including the dipoles (RSS300), but have not heard the Revels. Power handling and sound quality are not an issue, but I just can't speak to the tonal similarities between the 300s and your fronts.

I suggest you post your question over at www.********** where the Rocketeers (Rocketmen? Rocketers? Rocketors?) hang out.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll do that

enigma

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted this a couple of days ago and received one reply, which directed me to AV123 forum. I tried there and got a couple of replys, but would like more input. Has anyone ever heard the Rocket setup who has also auditioned Revels? To me it seems kind of like a natural match appearance wise; but I have not heard them so am curious about sonics. Anyone using different brands of Dipole surround, vs. the L,R,C (Fronts)? I wouldn't think it as important to "timber-match" dipole surrounds as the front soundfield, but was curious as to other opinions.

Another option would be Revel S30's, but they would have to be mounted beside the listening position, not behind. I imagine that would tend to point the 'null' away from the listener, as the Revels have unequal lengths on each angled face. Has anyone experimented with dipole setups to know if this is a big deal or not?

enigma

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 300's and I've also heard Revels...but to tell you the truth, I'd not be able to make that comparison unless I had them in the same room.

IMHO...for surrounds, I think they would mesh with Revels just fine. If you were to buy a set, and didn't like them, AV123 will take them back...you only pay the shipping. 30 days though..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.