Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocket RS150 or Swan Diva 2.1 for fronts

Still researching, but I am interested in peoples opinions on these two lines. After many searches, it appears the consensis is that most people prefer the rocket 750 over the Swan 6.1.

But what about the bookshelf speakers? Any suggestions?

Potential setups not including sub with these lines are:

$299 - Swan Diva 2.1 fronts

$349 - C3 center

$429 - R3 rears

$1077 Diva line

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/cgi-b...ml?id=yPWqZKUI

$399 - Rocket RS150

$399 - RSC 100 center

$599 - RSS 300 Rears

http://www.**********/products_catego...eakers&brand=3

$1397 Rocket Line

·
Registered
757 Posts
what you have to ask yourself is...are you most people? ;)

you will_not_know which one you prefer unless you listen to both of them.

take advantage of the 30 day trials. order both pairs and demo them in home. send the pair you do not like back.

9 times out of 10 you'll simply receive a push to buy what the pusher owns. i can already hear the chariots... ;)

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Have you thought about bookshelfs in front and back? It would save some money and give you a better matched front to back and back to front pan. Also have you considered 5 or 6 identical speakers? This would let you have 6.1 for the same or less money as well as give you perfectly matched speakers all around.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Aaron is right,

your post is a call for the cultmembers to emerge.

Dont limit yourself to the options you have listed.

DO go out and listen to as much speakers as you can. Figure out what

you really enjoy in a speaker; how much bass you need, level of treble energy you want etc...

If your budget is truly $1400, you have a lot of options, including

B-stock, used on audiogon, etc..

Be patient and thorough.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
The Rockets are awesome, tons of clean bass come out of that "bookshelf". I have the RS150s in back, and the RS550s in front.

My only suggestion is this. The higher-end Rockets have a superb tweeter caled the Vifa. The silk tweeter they use in the other Rockets are good too, but the Vifa is "da bomb".

Call up AV123, and say, "Look I have 1400 bucks to spend on a 5 channel setup, and I want Vifas up front"

And see what they can come up with. Just a suggestion....

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I have to agree with John... Give them a call ... good time right now as they have alot of "b" stock as well which are super buys. See what they can put together for you. You will also find them very honest and very willing to work hard for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I don't know if owning a pair of swan 2.1s qualifies me for cult status but I have read Helter Skelter. ;) I wouldn't begin to tell you what speakers you should get but I can tell you why I went with swans. I felt my ht set up was good but still lacking in some aspects. What I finally figured it needed most was more detail and a larger sound stage. After basically doing what your doing (reading many posts and reviews) I settled on three brands that I felt would meet my criteria and which also would be in my budget. The three were the swans 2.1, ascend 340, and epos els3. For other reasons I won't get into I decided to try the swans first and it looks like I'll be keeping them. The biggest plus for the swans imo is their detail and clarity without being bright.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA

My only suggestion is this. The higher-end Rockets have a superb tweeter caled the Vifa. The silk tweeter they use in the other Rockets are good too, but the Vifa is "da bomb".

This is good info. Thanks. Maybe the 250's with the Vifa's are worth the money. My attraction to the Swan's is that I dont feel I require the rosewood finish and thought the swans with the black cherry finnish would be a better sound value for the money.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hopkins

Have you thought about bookshelfs in front and back? It would save some money and give you a better matched front to back and back to front pan. Also have you considered 5 or 6 identical speakers?
A lot of people seem to like this option. I just thought that the speakers made for the rears would be better. But I guess something is to be said for timbre matching the fronts and rears.

What I want to get to is a point where I can order two sets to try out and send back the one that I dont like. But I want to narrow it down before ordering.

Thank you for all the replies.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DCJ98GST

A lot of people seem to like this option. I just thought that the speakers made for the rears would be better. But I guess something is to be said for timbre matching the fronts and rears.

What I want to get to is a point where I can order two sets to try out and send back the one that I dont like. But I want to narrow it down before ordering.

Thank you for all the replies.
Theres something to be said for both camps, definitely if you want to explore multichannel music, then matching them works good. For example, on Queen "Night At The Opera" DVD-A, they have Freddie Mercurys voice bounce around all 5 channels, and then blend together in harmonies, like the Operatic part of "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Times like that, matching makes sense :)

Its less important for movies and music that uses the rear speakers for ambience, which is most of the material out there.

So for people on a budget, it makes more sense to sink most of the money into the front 3, since the overall percentage of sound that comes out of the rears is *very* small.

Thats why I have the RS150s in back, because I wanted the deep mid-bass for things like spaceship and helicopter flyovers, but I still wanted to sink most of my limited funds in the fronts.

Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Answering a specific question about a specific speaker, thanks for insulting me :(
I'm truly not trying to insult you John :)

I like your posts.

I love AV123 and all the folks there also. Good people. Great forum.

I auditioned both the Swans and the Rockets, and I preferred the

Rockets.

So I bought Rockets; 9 of them :)

I still think people should buy with their ears and not limit themselves to just Rockets or Swans.

Anyway, good feelings out to you and yours, John in LA :)

Respectfully,

Jason Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.