AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I really need help choosing a sub for my 13 by 15 by 8 ft room. I want a sub that will have nice crisp clear sound, but I dont want to loose too much bass extension. It will probably be used for 75% movies and 25% music or maybe a bit more music (60%?). Im leaning towards the ULW-10 because of the sealed design, and because it techinally can get down to 25 hz. I am thinking of getting Aperion speakers so that is why I included the S10 in the comparison. Also, does anyone know how the S8 Apr is? The Rockets look like the same sealed idea but with bigger woofers and more wattage.

Please, tell me what you think.

-The Piano Player

P.S. I play the piano seriously so even though i dont have a sound system now i am into perfection

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
If you really don't want to lose extension and you going to use it more for movies than music, go with the HSU or the SVS.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard that the Rockets can succesfully play down to 27 hz in Real world tests. I also have heard thats its Much More accurate than SVS or HSU. Is 27 hz low enough?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I don't doubt the Rockets can play down to 27 hz. For music, that covers the bases pretty well. For some movies that have a good deal of very low bass content, you will be missing a certain amount of LFE.

Is 27 hz low enough? Not for me.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer1 /forum/post/0

I have heard that the Rockets can succesfully play down to 27 hz in Real world tests. I also have heard thats its Much More accurate than SVS or HSU. Is 27 hz low enough?

You may miss out on an entire octave if you settle for 27Hz. Ported designs are completely satisfactory unless you want to spend about twice as much money. If you want a Rocket sub, I would get the 12 inch version.

All the Best

PS mojomike knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so ill still consider the Rockets but lets talk about the HSU, SVS, (or maybe Aperion)

I heard from reviews that the Aperion about the same as the HSU (home theater spot said the 12 in Aperion sounds just like the HSU 3.3)

Would the HSU 2.3 be better than the PB10 and equal to the PB12 or is the PB10 just as good? Out of These choices, which is best?

And is the Aperion as good. I'm getting aperion speakers so a matching sub would be the simplest.

And are manufacture frequency responce ratings accurate. COULD the Sub go LOWER than the listed response??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ONE MORE THING:

Both of the 10 inch rockets are listed to be 25 and 26 hz respectively with + or - 2db and 3 db respectivly. HOWEVER, the APERION s8-apr is listed at 35 hz (VERY BAD) but with + or - NINE db (Acording to Audioholics). Is this good for the Aperion and does it mean the sub can get alot lower, or is it bad because the sound will be INCONSISTANT????

EDIT: hmmm this is what audioholics says about the APR..."During Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, the Intimus Sub held its own and gave a solid performance without trying to reach further than it was designed. You can really feel this scene with the right subwoofer and it's a rough test for an 8" sub in a room over 3400 cubic feet in size!"

What does the "RIGHT subwoofer" mean? Is the APR the RIGHt sub?

Or is it not good enough?

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...g-tests-movies

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would interpret the +/- 9 db to be a bad thing. What that tells me is that it might be down as much as 9 db at 35 hz, particularly since it would be in the company's best interest to try to stretch the bottom frequency number as low as possible. While there may not be a lot of music below 35, it sounds to me like that thing would be struggling at 35 hz. For reference, I believe the SVS shows response to 20hz +/- 1 db. Everything I've seen indicates that the SVS has the ability to play the deeper frequencies at higher db's than just about anything in it's class. That it manages to run a pretty flat response all the way through it's range tells me that it shouldn't be boomy in the mid-bass. There's really no "spec" that seems to call out the actual sound quality, but the reviews I've read of both the SVS and the HSU tend to indicate that these subs sound very good.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, I'm actually embarrassed that I once considered the APR, but the Aperion 10 inch or 12 inch might be comparable or at least almost as good as SVS or HSU (the aperion is the TOP sub on cnet). What about the new Outlaw EX that will be out in JULY. And AV123, the makers of the ROCKET, are making a 15 inch ported sub for only $600 dollars!!! And it is said to sound as good as the PB12 SVS! WOW

But I'm still into the 10 inch rockets. Its funny, I keep looking at better and better subs. At first I was looking at the 100 watt 8 inch aperion which is good, but only for VERY small rooms.

But my room is only 13 by 15 by 8 feet anyway.

Please Continue to Comment.

Thank You

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paradox... If I had the option of the ULTRA I really wouldn't have to choose between these. I don't feel that I am going to choose a "budget" system (I want my speakers + sub to be less than 1500 probably around $1250) but really, I cannot fathom spending 1500 for the SUB ALONE. I really am in the $600 range for the sub... add another 600 or 700 for aperion audio speakers and I'm set.

Please comment on subs in my price range.

EDIT: I looked at your previous posts and I see EVERYTHING IS ROCKET but the sub. How is the quality of rocket's stuff?

BTW: the SVS's that im looking at are in the NSD series to clear it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I've been able to gather, pick any sub in that price range from SVS, HSU or Outlaw and you'll probably be very happy. I think that would point you toward the SVS PB12 NSD, the HSU VTF 2.3 (or is it the 3.2???) or the Outlaw LFM 1 plus. While I'm sure there are many others to choose from in the $600 range, these three brands/models seem to be universally loved.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Piano player, all products put out by AV123 including their subs are of top quality, but none of their current batch of subs are known for their deep extension. This is why nobody here is recommending them for movies. Their subs which are coming out in the future are a different story. If you have the patience to wait for the MFW-15, reports are that it can do it all... big output and deep extension for $599.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mojo, I have seen the MFW on the av123 forums and I am very interested, but it will only be in the "X-Series". Now i know it doesnt matter how its labeled, but I really am interested in the quality of bass, I want it to be more than sufficient for home theater, but I can sacrifice a few hz and I dont NEED it to shake my room at all.

I just feel that the Rockets will sound just Better in general, rather than Loud or Really Deep and inarticulate. This is why the MFW still might not be the BEST choice for me because even though i will be watching lots of movies, It is accepted by most members of the AV123 forums that the MFW wont be as high in quality as the UFW or maybe even the ULW.

BTW look at this site: it only works cached, I have no idea why...
Aperion S-12 vs. Rocket UFW-10 vs. Hsu VTF-3 STF-1

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer1 /forum/post/0

Hi,

-The Piano Player

P.S. I play the piano seriously so even though i dont have a sound system now i am into perfection

Since you have trained and discerning ears that will generally be superior to a typical consumer, why wouldn't you use those in deciding for yourself? Well, I understand that some of the best values for subs can be ID, but at least you can peruse their audition periods.

Who knows if you live in the middle of nowhere, but have you tried auditioning any subs in stores? If there are stores near you, it would be quite recommended. Bring both music and movies.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/0

Since you have trained and discerning ears that will generally be superior to a typical consumer, why wouldn't you use those in deciding for yourself? Well, I understand that some of the best values for subs can be ID, but at least you can peruse their audition periods.

Who knows if you live in the middle of nowhere, but have you tried auditioning any subs in stores? If there are stores near you, it would be quite recommended. Bring both music and movies.

Yes I agree that this is what I should do, and there is a very nice audio store near where I live, with products like Definitive Technology and Paradigm. But many companies like SVS, HSU, Aperion, Rocket Etc. cant really be found in stores and, really, who is going to order a few subs to try out. I can understand 2, but i have more than 3, probably 5 that I want to hear, and I think they all cannot be found in stores.

Yes, I might get my top 2 to testdrive but I need to narrow it down that far

I'm just wondering, about the Rockets, can someone compare and contrast the UFW and the ULW (both 10 inch) for me. I know the UFW has more wattage and the ULW has an AUTO parametric EQ, but thats all I know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was in the same situation as you a couple of years back....I had bought the Rockts 850's Big Foot center and 250's for rears....and did think I would ever buy a sub that was basicly 50% of the price of the rest of my speakers.....i am 70/20/10 Movie, gaming, music.....and wanted that bone rattling, take the air out of your lungs bass......

I bit the bullet and just splurged and I do not regret it. In fact if I had not gone with my PB12 Ultra I would not be so in love with my set up as it MADE the system complete.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts