AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Many people on these forums want maximum output at lowest frequency. That is not your criteria.

Take a look at the Energy and REL subs if available in your area.

Not trying to start a war here... for your ears, I would not recommend anything you can't hear up front.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, I just want to list my priorities for a sub because it is true that extreme loudness is not important to me although bass extension is...

1) Clearness, tightness, NOT "one note bass", NOT boomy, High SQ bass

2) Bass extension

3) Bass output

I want the SQ 1st, but I want the LOWEST best sounding sub I can get. For a sealed design (since general sealed is better sounding), the Rocket is very low in extension.

-The Piano Player

My room is only 13 by 15 by 8 and even then I dont need bass to knock things of shelves

Dont worry ur not starting any war

·
Registered
651 Posts
i was in this same situation a few months back with almost the same models i was choosing from. i'm about 50/50 music and movies. i decided on a b&w asw 650 which turned out to be a disappointment. then i went ahead and tried an svs 25-31 pci cylinder tuned to 22hz (free tuning from svs). the b&w went back.

i found that after a good calibration, placement (and a parametric EQ in my case- i had room issues but, would have (and have had) the same issues regardless whichever sub i settled on) that the svs left me totally satisfied for both purposes. i don't run my sub hot i run i calibrate evenly with my mains and it is a great sub.

i believe it was around $600 shipped. the cylinder shape is a tad unusual but now, i actually prefer it over a box sub. svs has great service and will go out of their way to make you happy including a full refund.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Don't we all???????????

A decent budget, but still one where you have to make compromises one way or another, I'd imagine.

Why don't you call each manufacturer, and ask any specific questions you may have.

Perhaps no one can pick any of the subs out for you, outside of possibilities such as prejudice, spam, or flame war- well, no one has answered for you yet. What, do you want a vote? How many persons do you think are truly familiar with all 4 subs listed? Come to think of it, perhaps craigsub is, and then again perhaps not. Try asking him?

fwiw, other things such as looks, size, connectivity, warranty, color, shipping charges, customer service, etc, can all play a factor in your decision.

extension and output will be easier to determine online. Not #1: clearness, tightness, boominess, how hard it hits, fidelity, pitch definition....

I also VERY much enjoyed REL subs, some of the most musical of all that I've heard. Outside of your budget I suspect, and no they don't hit as hard or go as low as others from what I can tell. Most excellent subs for music duty, imho.

truly no offense intended, but your question is a bit like Toyota vs Honda, or BMW vs Merceds, or Lamborghini vs Ferrari. All could be considered fair comparisons, but ultimately it is what pleases your ears.

When you buy a piano, do you take the same approach? I'd hope not. With all due respect, will you please go listen to something? once again, gl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
LOL of course, you have to try a piano before you play. Can you imagine paying tens of thousands for 1 and then not liking the sound???

But pianos are ALL different, especially the high end steinways, each individual piano is different even if the model is exactly the same.

And I know that I wont choose my sub using this thread only, but i want OPINIONS. I dont care if u dont have them all. But I want to know the opinions of the owners of the subs.

Comon ROCKET owners, give me some feedback

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoplayer1 /forum/post/0

Has anyone ever heard ACI subs? The cheapest is 750, but it goes it 20 hz AND its sealed. Any comments?

Everything I've ever heard about ACI subs or ACI as a company have been favorable. The subs are said to be quite musical. Obviously that is moving up in price from the first five or six subs you mentioned.

Once you get into that price area and you want something sealed and accurate, you should then also begin to consider the SVS SB12 Plus.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/0

Everything I've ever heard about ACI subs or ACI as a company have been favorable. The subs are said to be quite musical. Obviously that is moving up in price from the first five or six subs you mentioned.

Once you get into that price area and you want something sealed and accurate, you should then also begin to consider the SVS SB12 Plus.

YES i actually just started looking at that sub online. S and V magazine doesnt like it that much tho

I think I would like to stay in the $600 range. You can always get more expensive.

On the other hand, if the svs or aci really blow away the rockets or other 600 dollar subs, I might have to consider them.

1 more thing tho, I heard that the Rocket UFW had a buzzing problem with the amp, So Av123 is REMAKING THE AMP FROM SCRATCH. Once the new one starts shipping again for $600 it will probably be even better!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've owned both an SVS 20-39pc+ and currently a HSU VTF3-Mk3. In a blind test, I'd be really hard pressed to tell you which one is which assuming both were well integrated and calibrated. I've heard other SVS models both cheaper and more expensive and they sound great. My point being.. with the SVS and HSU at that price point you will most likely be happy. I can't comment on the other lines you mentioned as I haven't heard them.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hmm, now I'm starting to think I might get the MFW-15 when it comes out. I want to get a sub by july so if its not out by then, which i dont think it will, I probably wont get it.

So, its time for an updated list of subs in the running.

$600 or lower:

UFW-10 (or MAYBE the ULW)

MFW-15 (if it comes out in time)

Aperion S10 or S12 (it will still match the speakers and its not bad at all
)

HSU 2.3

PB10/12-NSD

25-31PCi or 20-29 PCi

OK so that was a LONG list, now let me put it in order of best to worst (for ME)

1. Rocket UFW-10 (that high SQ is very important)

2. PB-12-NSD or MFW-15

3. Aperion S10 (or maybe S12, but the 10 is better for its class I think)

4. HSU 2.3

I have to admit the PB-12 NSD does look very nice, and its a good option if I need the extra extension and can sacrifice a little bit of SQ... I will make a "higher than $600" list another time.

-The Piano Player

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
INMO, if SQ is the priority, The SB12+ will smoke every sub you have listed above. In fact, it is likely to outplay your #1 choice in every way possible. Some of the others listed, notably #2 and #4 are going to dig down deeper, but are unlikely to have better SQ.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes, I will consider the SB12 if I decide to go over 600 dollars. It looks like a great sub. Today im gonna go to my local hifi audio store and hear speakers and subs.

They have Joseph Audio, Definitive Technology, Nola, Miller & Kreisel, Paradigm, Aural Acoustics, Quad, Legacy Audio, Focal, and probably some other brands. I'm pretty excited

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
That should be an interesting evaluation. Try to jot down some notes if you can and report back.

Keep in mind that M&K is out of business. If they still carry them, they should be at closeout prices.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, the Paradigm Mini Monitors were very nice, great full sound, and they sounded slightly better than the Def. Tech. Promonitor 1000s. However, the Promonitors are smaller.

By SQ:

1) 'Digm Mini Monitor

2) Def. Tech. ProMonitor 1000

3) KEF 3005

4) 'Digm Atom

The Minis were a bit bright, but sounded very full and nice.

I heard the Def. Tech Prosub 10 inch - Very NON DIRECTIONAL bass and very nice and tight...

-The Piano Player

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
When I meant "the Minis", I was talking about the Paradigm Mini Monitors. THOSE were a bit bright. The sub, as I wrote, was pretty nice and non directional.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I received my SVS PB10 NSD on Friday and had a chance to get it running yesterday. When I initially hooked it up, I wasn't blown away. The sound level seemed very low and the speaker seemed to hit audible distortion at pretty low levels of sound. After adjusting the gain to about 10 o'clock, setting the phase (by ear), and letting the system run for about 4 hours, I'm VERY impressed. My room is probably a bit on the large size for this sub, but it still delivers significant bass impact and seems to go really deep when needed. The opening scene of The Matrix had me almost laughing out loud when I ran it at high volume. The sub sounds great with music as well. I'm sure I'll be even more impressed once I actually get the system calibrated properly.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts