AVS Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
One vote for the HSU 2.3

I got mine about 3 months ago and have it setup nearfield in our large greatroom....

fantastic for movies, and great for music as well.

Unbeatable price for what you get.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you pianoman. Although I do have one question. Does the Velodyne VRP-1200 compare at all to these subs. I'm looking at all the ones you are and I saw on another post and read great reviews on this one. Actually I just read get a Velodyne sub...maybe another model would compare or beat these others. Right now I am torn between HSU VFT-2 MK3 and the PB12-NSD. I'm guessing since the HSU is $100 cheaper I will probably go with it. But then again..if this Velodyne is not to bad...for $300, I might even go with that. I'm sure all 3 will be a BIG improvement over my 8" or 10" onkyo POS.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/0

INMO, if SQ is the priority, The SB12+ will smoke every sub you have listed above.
WILL SMOKE???

I hope that you have compared all those subs to the sb12 in the same room?

Otherwise how could you make such a comment??

Or are you just trying to push svs?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
If you noticed, my comment started with "IMHO" which, in case you didn't know, stands for "In My Humble Opinion".

It is just that. My opinion. Also, it relates only to the SQ qualities of the subs. Again, my opinion.

Of course I'm trying to push SVS. Don't you know I get a 20% kickback for every sub they sell.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts

Quote:
I'm just wondering, about the Rockets, can someone compare and contrast the UFW and the ULW (both 10 inch) for me. I know the UFW has more wattage and the ULW has an AUTO parametric EQ, but thats all I know.

The UFW is a better sub. I've heard them both at lenght and own a UWF-10. The ULW's sound falls apart when pushed to the limits. The UFW's amp limiter helps prevent that, though I have pushed it to audibly distort.

Quote:
OK, I just want to list my priorities for a sub because it is true that extreme loudness is not important to me although bass extension is...

1) Clearness, tightness, NOT "one note bass", NOT boomy, High SQ bass

2) Bass extension

3) Bass output

I want the SQ 1st, but I want the LOWEST best sounding sub I can get. For a sealed design (since general sealed is better sounding), the Rocket is very low in extension.

"One note bass" basically describes a sub tuned to 40hz. This is what you hear at a circuit city. None of the SVS, Hsu, or Rocket subs (with drivers >8") are one-note. You can get both great sealed and ported designs. If you want meaningful extension below 30hz at your price range, you should look at ported subs.

On the other hand, with the right sealed set-up you can get some nice room coupling to get additional extension. Many if not most sealed subs push the limits of their extension via the amp settings, and because of that the low-pass filter rolls of so fast the room coupling is not there. The SVS SB12 that has a setting for room size to maximize the room coupling. Without that room coupling you are missing a huge benefit of a sealed design.

I also have an SVS PC-Ultra (in my home theater). If you want serious infrasonic extension (which is totally addicitve) go for a ported design. I played in a jazz band for years (alto sax) and will tell you my ultra loves to play a walking bass-line as well as keep a deep dance beat. It is my understaning the current "plus" subs perform similar to the soon-to-be-replaced Ultra I have.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

If you noticed, my comment started with "IMHO" which, in case you didn't know, stands for "In My Humble Opinion".

It is just that. My opinion. Also, it relates only to the SQ qualities of the subs. Again, my opinion.

Of course I'm trying to push SVS. Don't you know I get a 20% kickback for every sub they sell.

How can you have an opinion if you never heard ANY of those subs?

·
Registered
48 Posts
The HSU VTF 3.3 is on sale for $629 plus shipping through tomorrow. If you can't wait for the MFW-15, that one should be on your list.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdekany /forum/post/0

How can you have an opinion if you never heard ANY of those subs?

Let's relate your question to something else. Can you have an opinion on, let's say, President Bush as an effective leader without ever having seen the president in person or having met the president? I think you can. You listen to the news, read the papers, etc., and you have the right to your opinion. Your opinion may be right or wrong, but it is yours and you are entitled to it.

I gave you my opinion on a bunch of subs, most of which I've never heard. I'm completely up on all of the published specs. I know their size, their weight, their power, the diameter of their drivers, their limits, whether they are sealed or ported, their tune if ported, their input, output, and control flexibility. I'm well informed on almost all of the publicly available reviews of all of the subs.

The sub about which I actually spoke my opinion about, I'm intimately familiar with and have been since it first became available. Why am I not entitled to my opinion?

I never claimed to have done a hands-on evaluation or comparison among all of the subs mentioned. I've never claimed to be a tester or a reviewer. Just a man speaking his opinion.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
serious infrasonic extension (which is totally addicitve)

Guilty as charged.

Tim

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Just a man speaking his opinion.

We all have one. So unless you have actually listened to these subs yourself, you are misleading the OP.

One sub SMOKING another sub would be like a Z6 Vette smoking a Honda minivan.

We ALL know that to be true.

I really doubt that there is such a difference between a small svs sealed sub and the other subs in question.

What you are doing is providing MISinformation

As you claim, you are well informed.... well if that was the case you would know that you actually have to listen to audio to be able to make such a claim.

What I think is that you may have the svs sub and trying to feed your ego by wanting others to spend their money on the same thing.

Why?????

PS: that is my opinion based on your posts.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts

Quote:

We all have one. So unless you have actually listened to these subs yourself, you are misleading the OP.

No. I've never claimed to have listened all of these subs or ever inferred that my opinion was based on any side by side comparison. All I gave was my opinion which I'll stick by until someone else comes along who has done side by side comparisons of all or most of the subs named and gives an opinion that carries more weight and credibilty than my own. At that point, I'd be happy to defer to a more informed opinion than my own.

Quote:

What you are doing is providing MISinformation

Would you specify what misinformation I provided? I provided an opinion. I led off my original statement informing that it was only my opinion.

Quote:

As you claim, you are well informed.... well if that was the case you would know that you actually have to listen to audio to be able to make such a claim.

Do you claim to never express any opinions whatsoever about anything you haven't actually experienced in person? Go ahead and make that claim and I will prove you to be a liar.

Do you recognize this statement: "My choice would be the HSU, hands down. Nothing can beat the new line of HSU sub today (price/performance)."

You should because you said it. Have you directly compared the entire HSU line with all other subs out there? Have you actually listened to all of the other subs you are comparing the HSU line to? I don't think so. What do you base your opinion on? Are you MISinforming anybody?

Quote:

What I think is that you may have the svs sub and trying to feed your ego by wanting others to spend their money on the same thing.

Why?????

Exactly. Why?

Quote:

PS: that is my opinion based on your posts.

As you would guess, I'd be the first one to argue that you are entitled to your opinion, even if it happens to be wrong.

The ball is in your court.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
If I am not mistaken, Tom Nousaine tested the SVS SB-12 Plus and compared it to HSU, Outlaw, Velodyne, and others. I believe that he found the Velodyne to be the most musical sub of the group, and the best bang per buck was the new Outlaw sub.

Tom Nousaine did not test all of the subwoofers on the OP's list, however, I believe that since Tom Nousaine said that the ported Velodyne was the most musical sub in the group, the OP is safe to buy a sub from Outlaw, HSU, Velodyne, SVS, Onix, ED without every hearing it or seeing it. Of course, this is my humble opinion.

All the Best

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Do you recognize this statement: "My choice would be the HSU, hands down. Nothing can beat the new line of HSU sub today (price/performance)." What do you base your opinion on?

2 important points!

1 - price/performance (Hsu reduced their prices with the new line and they were already at the top. The only competition for them was svs but hsu is more musical).. so!

Which leads us to the second point, being the most important one.

Dr Hsu has a golden ear.

Think about that.

That is very important. Most people only talk about numberrs, but if you can't hear well,.....

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Let me get this straight: You formed an opinion based on Dr. Hsu's "Golden Ear"?
Oh please! You have got to be kidding! That sounds like a bad villian from a Bond movie.

You had the audacity to criticise me for forming an opinion, and yet you base your opinion about the value of line of subs vs. all other subs on the "Golden Ear" of the owner of the company?

Poof! Just like that, any credibilty you may once have had just went up in a comical puff of smoke.

Let me know when you've got something more substantial to say. Right now, your coming off as a love-struck groupie.

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

Let me get this straight: You formed an opinion based on Dr. Hsu's "Golden Ear"?
Oh please! You have got to be kidding! That sounds like a bad villian from a Bond movie.

You had the audacity to criticise me for forming an opinion, and yet you base your opinion about the value of line of subs vs. all other subs on the "Golden Ear" of the owner of the company?

Poof! Just like that, any credibilty you may once have had just went up in a comical puff of smoke.

Let me know when you've got something more substantial to say. Right now, your coming off as a love-struck groupie.

Best defense is offense right?

I am finished with your childish comebacks.

You are too funny.

You are putting me down for appreciating/trusting someone with exceptional gifts.

You on the other hand we should listen to when you say it will SMOKE the other subs. Hmmmm....

That seems to make sense since you have what kind of background to sell someone something that you have never ever heard?????????

How right you are!

Now that in my book gives you credibility.

At least I actually have one (actuallu many) of the products that I suggested. I've heard them. Have been a Hsu customer since 1992 or so. Sealed Hsu subs, Ported, car subs you name it.

You haven't even heard any of them and you are recommending one of the subs as being superior?

Please??????

Grow up.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
First of all, since I'm not in the business of selling subs, I'm not selling subs to anyone. I simply made an opinion which seems to offend your unnatural devotion to Hsu. When you can tell me you've done side by side comparisons with the HSU line and most of the other subs on the market, then I might buy a statement from you like "Nothing can beat the new line of HSU sub today (price/performance)." Spoken like a true fanboy. Until you have a better basis for judgement than Dr. Hsu's so called golden ears, you should refrain from knocking anybody elses opinion.

The fact that you have been a Hsu customer since 1992 makes your lopsided opinion even less credible. You are so used to the way Hsu sounds after having listened to them for 15 years, you probably think all subs should sound like Hsu. Of course, if you do think so, it's your opinion and you are entitled to it as am I to mine.

The irony here is that the more you argue, the more you look like a HSU fanboy. If you don't believe me, look at the progression of the last few arguments you have posted. You are like a one-man HSU parade. If you aren't on their payroll, you certainly should be.

·
Registered
732 Posts
At least I base my opinion on something factual. I at least hear what I reommend.

You on the other hand base you opinion on NOTHING.

What does that make you???????????

You have an opinion on something that that you know nothing about. ZERO!

Now go and recommend a tv to someone that you have never seen!

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Why do you insist that I haven't heard what I recommend? I've owned a pair of SB12+'s since they first hit the market last October which I pointed out back in post #48. You, on the other hand, said you based your opinion primarily on Dr. Hsu's mythical Golden Ear. You said, "Which leads us to the second point, being the most important one. Dr Hsu has a golden ear."

Do consider that basis to be fact based? If Dr. Hsu happens to reading this silly debate, he is probably laughing out loud at what you base your argument on.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts