AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Ed! I love it when the Big Dogs get in the thread. It's when I learn the most.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
The best way to decide will be to compare both products in your own home for things like size, weight, appearance, WAF, ease of use, flexibility of user controls and EQ, and (of course) performance.

There are many variables that go into selecting the model that best fits your particular needs. Many times we have seen WAF win over outright performance for example.

Try all different kinds of music and movies at your preferred playback levels. Explore the limits of each product on demanding passages, and assess how gracefully they handle being pushed into overload. Then back off a bit until the presentation is clean and compression free and judge whether that level of output is consistent with your preferred playback level.

You'd be surprised how many people consistently overdrive their subwoofer on HT DVD applications. It's not really about mind-blowing levels (although it can be if that is your cup of tea), it's more about capturing all the dynamics and deep extension on the DVD without distorting and lopping off the bottom octave - even at moderately aggressive playback levels, that can be a mighty big task for a single subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen
It's not really about mind-blowing levels (although it can be if that is your cup of tea), it's more about capturing all the dynamics and deep extension on the DVD without distorting and lopping off the bottom octave - even at moderately aggressive playback levels,.........
Few things in life are as satisfying as having someone eloquently sum up thoughts you've never been able to adequately express. THANK YOU. ED! :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka
I know that MLS has promised one for Ed when they are ready. I'm sure Ed has or makes the slot. ;)

Actually I'm too very tempted on ordering one, but since my PB12-Ultra arrives tomorrow, it has to wait. :)
What? Is it a new one or a used one? Or maybe SVS still sells them for very special people.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen
The 20-40 Hz bandwidth by far represents the largest engineering challenge with respect to minimizing distortion and compression; the 40-80 Hz bandwidth is a piece of cake in comparison. And this really just speaks to bandwidth linearity; how well the first octave stacks up to the second octave (with respect to THD and compression) is one of the best overall indicators of how a subwoofer will subjectively perform.

For those who have purchased subs that are protected from their own limitations by a HP filter, this paragraph is correct.

For the rest of us, 20-40 Hz is the 3rd octave and 40-80 Hz is the 4th. :cool:

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itte
What? Is it a new one or a used one? Or maybe SVS still sells them for very special people.
It's a new one. I bought it when it was still possible. :)

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Quote:
What? Is it a new one or a used one? Or maybe SVS still sells them for very special people
In lew of a joke not being taken as a joke, I'll spare you my humor :)
Quote:
Good for you Ilkka! Congrats! Anything more that you would like to share sound-wise? :eek:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Quote:
For the rest of us, 20-40 Hz is the 3rd octave and 40-80 Hz is the 4th.
Good one, Dave. I was speaking of mere mortal subs - not the Thor's Hammer units you have gracing your abode. ;)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKOTB
Fpar95, as to your corrections, I thought, buried in the AV123 UFW discussion, the 1000 watts for the ufw has been since corrected to 600 or so. Regarding the servo control on the SPL, take a look at the Velo secs, 6th one down "Digital Dynamic Driver Control with Current-Sensing Servo"... Sounds like it's got one of some sorts... http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...ecs/SPL-R.html

I find it interesting that two of these blockbuster UFW-12's @ the colorado gathering didn't wow anymore than they did... Hmmm
The UFW-12 IS indeed 1,000 watts, not sure where you heard or saw 600 watts. :confused: Doing a search for "600" doesn't turn anything up regarding the UFW-12 on AV123.

I mentioned the Velo's DDCS and figured that is where you thought it was servo controlled, though as mentioned already it is not a real servo.

From reading that CO GTG thread it seemed to me most people were more than impressed with the UFW-12's performance and ability to fill the large room. Only on a few select tracks did they not fill the room or rattle everything (which is track related not sub related).

It would also appear plenty of people are already lined up to compare the UFW-12 side by side with other subs. :cool: It should make for some good reading. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka
Sorry Ilkka, it was just something I have to ask. Maybe you can compare Monolith and ultra in very near future.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Quote:
I find it interesting that two of these blockbuster UFW-12's @ the colorado gathering didn't wow anymore than they did
The subs did well in the 16,000 ft^3 room they were playing in, but you can't really judge them in a room that big. I'm waiting for the in-home demos.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.