AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggested in another thread I went out and bought this controller at BB

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...&skuId=9443809

For $25 you get an ergonomic PS3 controller thats blue tooth and rechargable!

While not a perfect clone its close enough for people used to the little things like triggers that are actually triggers and sticks that are concave to hold your thumbs.

Used it today with SSDHD (To test the sticks) and now God of War Collection and its just fantastic.

·
Registered
875 Posts
So only two triggers? No L2/R2?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I have no problems with the shape of the normal controller, or even the thumbsticks and triggers.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/18311327

I have no problems with the shape of the normal controller, or even the thumbsticks and triggers.

I have very big hands so for me this Rocketfish is a possibility although the reviews aren't great...any other controllers like this that has better reviews?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 /forum/post/18311423

I have very big hands so for me this Rocketfish is a possibility although the reviews aren't great...any other controllers like this that has better reviews?

With the 360-style stick layout? I think there is one other one, but it's expensive. I'll try to find it again.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
It's crap. We get a lot of returns of that controller. In the end, people end up buying the official controllers (which is what we recommend from the very beginning).

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
The other PS3 controller with a 360 style stick layout is the Shadow Wireless Controller. I own both a Shadow and the Rocketfish. Both have some gotchas...

The Shadows are not Bluetooth, so you can't turn the console on or off. Also, earlier models didn't support Sixaxis and the sticks had pretty bad deadzones. The manufacturer has recently released a newer model that while still not Bluetooth does support sixaxis and rumble; the deadzone was also supposedly fixed.

The Rocketfish is a Bluetooth device, supports Sixaxis and rumble so it is 100% compatible with the PS3. Where it trips up is in the play of the sticks which are a little too stiff right out of the box; extended use may free them up a bit. The ergonomics the the pad also aren't the greatest. It's made of a hard plastic that doesn't feel all that great in your hands. Also, while the general shape is the same as a 360 pad, the handles curve at a more extreme rate and the shoulder buttons are smaller. There have also been complaints of very poor battery life (both controllers have non-removable, built in batteries).

Of the two I'd probably go with the Rocketfish due to its Bluetooth support but neither is a particularly memorable replacement.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spent two hours with God of War and its FAR superior to the Dual Shock. The fact that your thumbs stay in the sticks when making the fast movements is great.

The biggest improvement though is the auto fire. I remember having to work my ass off hitting the cirlce button on the PS2 but no need here once you assign rapid fire to circle

The handles do indeed curve too far back. But it only took a few minutes to get used to it. In the end getting used to those was far less of an issue than getting used to sticks that are not designed for resting thumbs in.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/18311327

I dont either but I do like the feel of the Xbox360 controller on my PC (though I own no xbox360). I played a good 6 hours of Batman:AA yesterday using the Xbox360 controller....something about it just feels better....though it is like 10 pounds heavier.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Glad you found it worthwhile Frank

For me, I agree, although it's not as good as the 360 controller it's MILES better than the PS3 one. For my hands the Dualshock is designed badly in every respect, from the small size, to the button and thumbstick layout, to the mushy triggers. It might have something to do with the fact that I never owned a PS1 or PS2 but I've spent almost no time playing games on my PS3 because of the uncomfortable controller. It's been nothing but a Blu-ray player.

Although the Rocketfish didn't have great reviews I've had none of the problems mentioned with mine and I look forward to actually getting more games from my PS3 now!

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I got one of these yesterday. Charged it all day at work so that the charge level couldn't be an issue. First thing I tried it on was Zen Pinball. With it plugged in, it works fine. With it wireless, it seemed laggy. Going to try it one more time tonight, and if it doesn't pass, it's going back.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eight hours of God of War and still going strong! Hell if this thing blows up after God of War collection and III, I will have gotten my $25 out of it many times over. Its just that much better!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts