AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying this tonight. Box label says it only supports 60 fps. Will see if that actually makes a difference. Going out from PS3 to MIT 3D RPTV and splitting second HDMI over to 1.3 hdmi AVR's audio. Yes I know, PS3 and audio and 3D with not be HD Audio. But this way rest of blu-rays will be fine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...224493&st=hdmi

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Close but no cigars. Works as long as only 3D stuff plugged into the splitter. Once I plug in my 1.3 AVR, which is the whole point of having the splitter, 3D goes dead, splitter either gets confused or the HDMI EDID stuff of my receiver tells the splitter not to pass the 3D stuff. Unplug the receiver, Denon 3808 with all HDMI control stuff set to off, 3D comes back to the display.

I will try turning the HDMI CEC stuff on in the AVR later but now its dinner and watching Expendables with the little woman.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Banged on it some more. Seems the splitter does not have the logic to separate the information coming back through it on each "Out" jack. Any 1.3 hdmi information shuts down the 1.4 information.

There clearly is a market for these kinds of splitters. Will be watching for one that is designed to work with 1.3 on one jack, 1.4 on the other.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears the 60hz limitation of the splitter is also causing some folks problems.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
A splitter has to report the capabilities of the downstream devices to the upstream device. It can only return one EDID. What it returns is the greatest common denominator of the capabilities of the downstream devices. The upstream device can only put out one signal. You want it to be one that all the downstream devices can display. So if they cannot all do 3D, you don't get 3D. If you want something else, you need more than a splitter. You need something that will do conversion.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking splitter is the right way to go. Will need to split video and audio components in signal. The technology is already in place. You can see it on those 3D players with two HDMI outs.

My best guess is we'll see stand alone devices that do the same as these players do internally now.

Given the money folks have invested in 1.3 hdmi type avr's, etc., I'm sure the market will bring a device to market soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thank you for your thread! I was close to going out and getting this splitter after work, however, it doesn't look like it's working like I need it to, too.

I was considering this product, but ordered another one that was just released. I won't have it for a couple weeks, however, I'll report, if anyone's interested. Currently, I'm running a "fat" PS3 and a 3D LCD and want to send the HD audio to my 1.3a AVR.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"but ordered another one that was just released."

Keep us updated. Sooner or later there will be a product that splits the HD Audio off for 1.3 hdmi receiver and then 3D 1.4 video to the display.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 /forum/post/19583846

"but ordered another one that was just released."

Keep us updated. Sooner or later there will be a product that splits the HD Audio off for 1.3 hdmi receiver and then 3D 1.4 video to the display.

Absolutely. I thought I was pretty clear with my expectations with the tech' support representative, but we'll see once I receive it, lol. I know I'm going to be somewhat limited to all of the features many 3D BD players provide by only using the PS3, but I just want to plug it all together, get my 3D through the TV, get the audio from my receiver and be able to enjoy my games (3D and not) and movies (in 3D and not) without having to move a bunch of plugs around when I want to change from one to another (I'd still like to be able to enjoy my regular blu-ray movies and PS3 games without swapping plugs and settings and all that).

·
Registered
62 Posts
js' - not trying to hyjack (I guess I did that already...), but I think I finally got what you were trying to say after reading your posts more, and sent another message to Sewell. It's sounding like the tech' wasn't really paying attention to my initial message, or something, but he's thinking it may not work either, for exactly what you're posting. He's saying they need to isolate the signal, so the way I was going may not (okay - probably won't) be the way to go

Thank you for your input on you original post. Hopefully, through elimination and research, someone can find a resolution to this problem.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajesticNJ /forum/post/19595846

Can't you just use the splitter for video and use toslink for audio? Wouldn't that work? That's what I was going to try.

Unless for some reason your source device doesn't have optical out, I can't thik of a reason to go the route you're suggesting. If I read the OP's post correctly, he's trying to split the signal so that he can get 3D AND still get Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-HD MA from his 3D-capable blu-ray player (PS3). I'm not sure if PS3 will allow digital audio via optical out while simultaneously outputting a signal via HDMI--if not, then I can see why he is looking for such a splitter while acknowledging that if he does go this route, he won't get any HD audio (he'd still probably get 5.1 audio, which is better than plain old 2-channel audio, at least for movies).

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck rad....

Seems like we early adaptors end up knowing more than these tech guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've googled the issue regarding the PS3's audio capabilities when playing 3d content and it appears that the PS3 will downgrade the audio down to DTS / DD 5.1 playing 3D for bandwidth reasons. So I don't think splitting the HDMI cable will do much because you can't get High-Res sound regardless. If I got bad info off google then I apologize. My hope is that splitting the signal will work because my PS3 won't output 3D if I run it through my Onkyo 605.

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Except if your ps3 is your bluray player. If you pull the HDMI from the AVR and go with optical you lose HD Audio for non-3D bluray playback. Split the HDMI so when there is HD Audio on it your receiver gets it. Video stays on the "split" hdmi to the display all the time. No routing through AVR for video.

Keeps HD audio for regular bluray. Keeps 3d video for non-HDMI 1.3 avr's.

So yes, need a splitter that can handled non-hdmi 1.3 AVR's and keep 3D video to TV.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It's a no go with Sewell right now...

Someone in another thread posted something about another 1.4 splitter for double that which I was looking at from the above company, but having to use it for all my 3D sources (okay - I only have two), but if I have to spend that much money, I might as well consider a reasonable 1.4 AVR. I didn't want to end up doing that...

Either that, or continue to wait for several more months until something might come out...

·
Banned
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"but if I have to spend that much money, I might as well consider a reasonable 1.4 AVR."

That's why I bought a Sony S570. Although about 2 weeks later saw the S770's for about the same price as I paid for the S570. Which was not that much. Proably would have gotten the S770 although the S570 has some of the advanced features and SACD.

It was cheaper to have the second bluray player just for bluray/dvd connected via HDMI to my AVR so have video and hd audio, the PS3 for 3d, games, etc., video to my display so 3D works, optical to AVR for dolby digital/dts audio.

WAY cheaper than good HDMI 1.4 receiver and cheaper than splitters that "might" work as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 /forum/post/19665902

"but if I have to spend that much money, I might as well consider a reasonable 1.4 AVR."

That's why I bought a Sony S570. Although about 2 weeks later saw the S770's for about the same price as I paid for the S570. Which was not that much. Proably would have gotten the S770 although the S570 has some of the advanced features and SACD.

It was cheaper to have the second bluray player just for bluray/dvd connected via HDMI to my AVR so have video and hd audio, the PS3 for 3d, games, etc., video to my display so 3D works, optical to AVR for dolby digital/dts audio.

WAY cheaper than good HDMI 1.4 receiver and cheaper than splitters that "might" work as well.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I'm crossing my fingers to scrounge up a little more $$$ for that AVR. I'd rather not worry about these little work-around-type devices failing, but it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts