Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I crazy? (rhetorical guys)

I am finally ditching my radio shack special speakers in my home theater, (ah they have the Linaeum drivers... they don't suck too bad - hey, my separate listening room has my PSB stratus golds - so back off buddy), and I am leaning towards a fine local company which has a line of speakers called Rockets.

It seems that alot of people here on the forum really love the Rockets and the Ascend speakers. Anyway after doing some minimal research and surfing a bunch of websites, I am thinking about getting the rockets for the mains (750s?), and the rsc200 center channel speaker. I was thinking about getting Ascend CBM-200s for the rear channels.

Is this like a stupid idea? Would the "timbre" matching of the 2 different sets of speakers clash? Am I risking dangerous "cross-timbrenation" in my frankentheater? Has anyone else done this? Would I be better served by just sticking to a single manufacturer?

Also I have an old Denon Dolby Digital AVR-3200 receiver... 85wpc into 8ohms (5 separate channels). Is this too anemic to power all these speakers listed above? I think the Rockets mains are 6 ohm and the center channel is 4 ohm. I will most likely eventually replace this receiver, but I see myself sticking with it for at least another couple of years.

Thanks for any advice,

jeff

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
If your just doing movies, the timbre thing with the Ascends may not be a big deal, although I have the RS150s in the back, they arent too costly and are timbre matched. There's nothing small about them either, they are nice, heavy full range speakers.

Also, keep in mind that theres 2 different tweeters represented among the Rocket lineup, so unless you get models with the Vifa in the back, your not going to have a perfect match anyways.

Living so close, I would call em up, and see if they could throw in some back speakers with a front speaker deal, then you wouldnt have to worry about timbre matching. Heck doesnt hurt to ask. Also, consider the 550s instead of the 750s up front, if this is a theater setup. I listen to my 550s about 50% music, 50% theater, and they do both with aplomb.

Also, the Rockets, like almost all "big" speakers, aren't extremely efficient. THe more wattage you give them, the more they will like you. So a "true" 85 watt receiver will probably sound fine, but my "fake" 100 watt Onkyo HTIB receiver sounded strained, and I ended up replacing it within 2 weeks. I think my current Yamaha is rated at 100 Watts RMS and probably puts out around 85. It sounds soo much better than the entry-level Onkyo, but the Rockets, I can just tell, want MORE :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
While I love my Ascend 170s, I'd think you'd be better off sticking with Rockets for the surrounds. Call AV123 and talk to either Sean or Steve and they can talk to you about how the 150s will sound with the 750s.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Jeff,

When my basement is finished, you are welcome to come by my home in Erie. If you have any way to bring the Ascends, go ahead and we can hook them up as rears...

Sean

·
Registered
32 Posts
Play Lord of the rings with and without the center channel... Lor has most of it's dialog sitting on that speaker.. I tried watching it while I was routing the cables for the center channel and for a moment thought my amp was broke... ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.