AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a home theater 15x24 should I go with Rockets RS550 Front/Rear with RSC center or Ascend CMT 340 Fronts/Center with CBM 170 rears . Will the Denon 2803 be enough power or upgrade to 3803 or 3805? Also will I need an amp? If so any suggestions for good but cheap one..Thanks!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta7
Have a home theater 15x24 should I go with Rockets RS550 Front/Rear with RSC center or Ascend CMT 340 Fronts/Center with CBM 170 rears . Will the Denon 2803 be enough power or upgrade to 3803 or 3805? Also will I need an amp? If so any suggestions for good but cheap one..Thanks!!
You can try to find the answer on ********** forum and ascend forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta7

Do you mean the RSC200 center? If so, that is the best center speaker I have heard (and many agree from what I have read in my research before purchasing my own system.) I was torn between the Rockets and Ascends when I was ready to buy. I am sure you would be pleased with either one, they are both great companies with great speakers. You really should try to hear some in person first if you can find someone in your area with those speakers...but-like I said before- I think you would be happy with either of them.

I ended up choosing the Rockets because of a great B-stock deal and I like the look of them better than the Ascends. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Very Happy with my Ascend 340's.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Two questions you need to ask yourself.

Do you want the wood finish of the Rockets or is the Ascend black ok?

Do you have room for the Rocket center channel? Check out the specs. It is HUGE. :eek:

I have Ascends but I strongly considered the Rockets.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You can't beat the Rocket Center (200 bigfoot).. I have had more expensive and this just blew them away. But everyones ears are different. Great sale going on right now on the 550's in a great HT set up that for real wood veneer can't be beat. Go look...

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either speaker. I've heard both extensively and would be VERY happy to own either one.

The 550's are of course, much bigger and have the real wood veneer. Is this an important factor in your decision, decor, or with the WAF? If it is a problem, the 340's would be an EASY choice because of their unassuming "sophisticated" basic black appearence.

BOTH speakers represent GREAT values, sound wonderful (to me anyway), come from companies with EXCELLENT customer service and have very large and loyal followings.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I'm down to these 2 brands for mt 7.1 HT. My question for the Ascend owners.... do they play loud? Loud and clean? I just have this problem in my head thinking that "big and loud" sound will come out of the smaller 340's. I'm sure they do or there wouldn't be so many fans.... I guess I just need some reassurance. :p

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodshook
I'm down to these 2 brands for mt 7.1 HT. My question for the Ascend owners.... do they play loud? Loud and clean? I just have this problem in my head thinking that "big and loud" sound will come out of the smaller 340's. I'm sure they do or there wouldn't be so many fans.... I guess I just need some reassurance. :p
The smaller CBM-170 can hit reference levels easily in a medium size room and have low distortion measurements posted at soundstage.com. The 340's should be at least as good.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
I just have this problem in my head thinking that "big and loud" sound will come out of the smaller 340's.
Here is a pix of 550s on risers next to 340s.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
The 340's are efficient and will indeed play loudly. I guess it depends on what you call loud. More importantly, they will play cleanly at high volumes. I sometimes don't realize how loud I have them because they are playing with no audible distortion. (not any that I can hear at least)

The Rockets will play lower however. If you are using a sub this advantage for the Rockets goes away because you will cross over the low end to the sub.

I hate to be less than useful but I think this is going to come down to personal preferrence on your part. They are both very good speakers. For me it came down to the fact that I wasn't willing to spend the extra money to get the wood finish and I would have had to go without a center with the rockets due to the massive size of the Rocket center. I had no place to put a 46 Lb center channel. :eek:

Rocket RSC200 Center:12" H x 10.5" D x 25" W • 46 lbs each (from Rocket website)

Ascend 340 Center: H 7.5" x W 21" x D 10.5" 26 lbs each (from Ascend website)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
In fact the louder, the better they sound
This statement is 100% true. So read between the lines I guess. I don't own either but have heard both.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you are worried about which speaker will play louder check out the efficiency specs of both speakers on their websites. The Rockets are 3 Db less efficient which means it will take twice the power from your amp to play at the same volume. This may or may not be a problem depending on your room and amp.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that "taller speaker" equals louder. There are many other factors. I think you shouldn't make loudness "the" deciding factor. With a decent amp either will play loudly. With the same amp the 340's will play slightly louder.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Rocket has two centers available. IMHO its hard to beat the RSC200 "bigfoot" center but they also make the RSC100 MKII which also gets good user reviews.

RSC100 MKII dimensions: 10.1H x 8.4D x 20.5W @ 25 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae3dae3
I hate to be less than useful but I think this is going to come down to personal preferrence on your part. They are both very good speakers. For me it came down to the fact that I wasn't willing to spend the extra money to get the wood finish and I would have had to go without a center with the rockets due to the massive size of the Rocket center. I had no place to put a 46 Lb center channel. :eek:

Rocket RSC200 Center:12" H x 10.5" D x 25" W • 46 lbs each (from Rocket website)

Ascend 340 Center: H 7.5" x W 21" x D 10.5" 26 lbs each (from Ascend website)

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Two questions you need to ask yourself.

Do you want the wood finish of the Rockets or is the Ascend black ok?

Do you have room for the Rocket center channel? Check out the specs. It is HUGE. :eek:

I have Ascends but I strongly considered the Rockets.
In case you didn't already know, the Ascends are available in different finishes, for extra $$.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...340mfinop.html

·
Registered
786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete GTP
Rocket has two centers available. IMHO its hard to beat the RSC200 "bigfoot" center but they also make the RSC100 MKII which also gets good user reviews.

RSC100 MKII dimensions: 10.1H x 8.4D x 20.5W @ 25 lbs.
People on the av123 boards seem to push the 200 pretty hard. I put the 100 out of my consideration when I was looking for this reason. They may have just been really happy in their love of the 200 but to me it came off as saying the 100 was obviously inferior in comparison. This is just the impression I got from the Rocket boards.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Quote:
People on the av123 boards seem to push the 200 pretty hard. I put the 100 out of my consideration when I was looking for this reason. They may have just been really happy in their love of the 200 but to me it came off as saying the 100 was obviously inferior in comparison. This is just the impression I got from the Rocket boards.
I suspect there are many center channel speakers that are "inferior" to the 200. That doesn't mean they are "bad" center channel speakers.

"Inferior" is a relative term, while "bad" is an absolute" I find the 200 superior to all 4 of my previous center channels. I would not say the others were "bad." Well, OK, ONE of them stunk! ;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.