AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running NHT 1.5's L/R, AC-1 Ctr, Super Ones Rear and 6.3 In-Ceiling as sides in a 7.1 Lexicon set up with Rotel amps. I also have dual Earthquake subs. My next upgrade might be speakers but I always balk because of cost vs. performance upgrade. I felt that I would have to spend a great deal more money to achieve better overall sound. I have become very fond of my little NHT's over the years. After reading about the Rockets I think I may be able to acheive what I am looking for with less money. I have a couple of problems though. First, my speakers must currently be placed on a shelf in a custom cabinet. The shelf is basically an additional enclosure measuring 18x16x20 HWD. The speakers sound exceptionally good here as I have them coupled with sorbothane and the shelf is exactly 26" off the floor and places the speakers at perfect listening height for me but I know this is not ideal. I have always assumed that I must have front ported or sealed speakers because of the shelf and how it would effect bass peformance if a rear port was spilling out into the back portion of the shelf. How will the Rocket 250's rear port effect my setup and should I stay away from speakers with rear ports? Next problem is I could not afford to upgrade the rear channels. How well will the Rockets match the NHT rears and sides and would I detect any problems. Please bear in mind that I listen to most of my music in Music Logic or Music Surround so I feel that the rear soundstage must integrate well with the front. With that said, my current setup used soft dome tweeters in the rear speakers and aluminum dome tweeters in the front soundstage so I may not be able to detect much of a difference anyway. Anyway, I'm looking for opinions and appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That's a very deep shelf so port interference won't be a problem, and I'm assuming you've got everything below 80Hz crossed over to your dual Earthquakes (nice!)... If your NHT's sound good in this location I see no reason for the Rockets not to sound good there as well. I'm not sure what you're looking to gain, but if you're finding the tweeters in the NHT's to be a little edgy at times I'd say you're headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bigwally,

Thanks. I do have everything crossed at 80hz except the NHT 1.5's. I cross those at 40hz as I have found this to even out the bass response so much better in my room. I am looking to acheive better overall sound. Before I started to look at the Rockets I was looking at Revel, Totem, Meadowlark etc. I am really not worried about the highs but more midrange detail and imaging. One thing I am really looking for is the upgrade of the center channel. I think that will make a huge difference in HT.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Which Rockets are you considering, Eric?

You are right about the center channel speaker, it can make or break a speaker system. I think you'd really like the Rocket RSC-200, it's quite an amazing performer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.