Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone had any direct comparisions between these? Got to hear the montior 11's a few weeks ago and was very impressed with them. I heard some Magnepans and the top end Martin Logans and thought these were the best value out of all of them. how do the rockets compare?

The only thing that worries me about the Rockets is the top end roll-off reported. I know this is done on purpose and under normal circumstances I'd probably agree with that thinking. I'm listening to a lot of SACD's lately and SACD's tend to have a slight high end roll-off as it is and was also wondering if the Rockets might be a problem in the high end for SACD's making the high end even more rolled off?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Which rocket model are you comparing to the monitor 11's? The Rocket 750's compete well against the Studio 100's. Read this for details. You are unlikely to prefer the monitors to the rockets unless you also prefer them over Paradigm's studio line.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the martin logans or magnepans. I only listened to the Martin Logans in the store, and not that seriously. They're nice sounding speakers but I wanted a larger sweetspot and something that's a little less power hungry.

I suspect that the rumor about the rockets high-end rolloff is just that. A rumour. I have seen one post that suggested it, and then several suggestable posters got very concerned about that rumor. Mark Schifter denied this rumor.

Quote:
I can assure you that the RS 750's (as an example) are really flat to 20kHz...
Since MLS has been quite honest to date, I think it is a bit premature to be discussing this rumor as if it were a fact.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was thinking of the 750. I read the review of the 750's on audiorevolution which praised it highly but mentioned the slight roll-off and they stated it was by design to lessen fatigue which makes sense and under most circumstances would be a good thing. I believe in the article they qouted one of the designers who confirmed this.

Like I said my only reluctance on the rockets is this issue which i could forsee causing problems with the already slight strained high-end of SACD's.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Rockets don't sound rolled-off to me. I don't know why the reviewer heard them that way except maybe he had been previously listening to tipped-up sounding speakers, maybe a metal dome design with a bit of spit to them, something that made the Rockets sound rolled-off in comparison. I don't know, just guessing here.

I don't have an SACD player but I can tell you with DVD-A the Rockets are highly resolving and do hi-rez mediums great justice.

The on-axis frequency response here shows the Rocket 750 to have a pretty flat response.
http://www.rocketloudspeakers.com/images/freq750.jpg

Now compare that to the Silverline Panatella which has a recessed midrange for a more laid-back sound, and a sharp treble roll-off starting around 15kHz. (The top curve is on-axis response.)
http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...ncy_on1530.gif

For comparison sake here's a Paradigm Monitor 5. Note the slightly tipped-up high-treble frequency response.
http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me...ncy_on1530.gif

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So has anyone been able to listen to both the Monitor 11's by paradigm and the Rocket 750's?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cor
Which rocket model are you comparing to the monitor 11's? The Rocket 750's compete well against the Studio 100's. Read this for details. You are unlikely to prefer the monitors to the rockets unless you also prefer them over Paradigm's studio line.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the martin logans or magnepans. I only listened to the Martin Logans in the store, and not that seriously. They're nice sounding speakers but I wanted a larger sweetspot and something that's a little less power hungry.

I suspect that the rumor about the rockets high-end rolloff is just that. A rumour. I have seen one post that suggested it, and then several suggestable posters got very concerned about that rumor. Mark Schifter denied this rumor.

Since MLS has been quite honest to date, I think it is a bit premature to be discussing this rumor as if it were a fact.
Thanks for your reply to this Cor...

In fact, the Rocket 750's are VERY flat to 20K... but they are NOT "tilted" in any fashion like many speakers... I went for weight and a "lush" response as I'm falling in love with Multi-Channel Music and the entire Home Cinema experience... and most of the HT-based speakers I've listened to are just too bright for my taste over long periods of time...

Please allow this admittedly very biased viewpoint... When you go to normal B+M establishments and listen in a room with 10 to 20 pairs of speakers... the manufacturer WANTS their speakers to stand out in direct A/B comparisons... They voice for a bright (or very present) / up front perspective... You go WOW... and you whip out your plastic... You have to fight through all of these transducers to "get heard"...

I buy many things at our local Soundtrack... (GREAT store, BTW) and I have confirmed this in their soundrooms... Certain models go "tink tink" really nicely and boom... the deed is done... I will not go for this...

Arnie (Nudell) taught me a long time ago that this is not right... on the other hand... Arnie (and now me) go for BIG "Power Band"... These are the frequencies between 100 and 400Hz... The 750 has tons of weight and "slam" as I went for these voicing parameters... The 750 can be listened to for hours on end...

(Off soap-box now)...

YMMV... but I think you'll find we give you all muscial information you'll ever want...

Thanks... and all the best...

mls

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
So has anyone been able to listen to both the Monitor 11's by paradigm and the Rocket 750's?
I listened to the Monitor 11 (v2 though), Studio 100s, and the Diva 6.1s. Paradigm was on my short list of speakers that that I liked and that were still within my price range (complete 5.1 setup). I went with the Divas which to me sounded similar to the Studios but were less expensive, not as hard to drive, and better looking in my opinion. The monitors were a little fatiguing for me. I have since added the Rockets to my "collection" and am very pleased.

Because I was looking for a complete 5.1 setup, I had to consider the surrounds and the center...especially the center. The center was what really had me leaning towards the Divas and now the Rockets. Are you having a music only setup?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx for the input, I have a 5.1 system but mainly setup for music. My Sony ES has the cinema studio mode for all channel stereo which is what I use for all material. This mode is very much like Logic 7 which I audtioned on a Lexicon mc-12. So I'll be using all my speakers for 2 channel and some high rez MC music. I have a pretty non traditional setup though, I want magnepans for surrounds, i'm in the process of getting the mgmc1's for those. For Fronts I did not like the magnepans as much as the monitor 11's.

Not sure what I'll do for center my current 5.1 setup is Acoustic Research series and although not bad sounding they are the weakest link in my system. The Rockets though intrigue me and I'd be willing to give them a shot.

·
Registered
757 Posts
No offense to anyone, but I believe this board is a little biased towards rockets. there are too many posts with the word rocket in it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No offense taken. :) The threads are clearly marked, so if you don't want to read about Rockets, avoid the threads. Otherwise, we'll exercise our right to freedom of speech, and you can exercise your right to read what you like. Don't mistake well-deserved enthusiasm for bias.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by metalaaron
No offense to anyone, but I believe this board is a little biased towards rockets. there are too many posts with the word rocket in it.
This thread is Rocket related. If you would like to talk about your speakers, please post a new thread, and I'm sure you will get a more constructive response than you have offered here. :)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But if you'd like to talk about how the monitor 11's compare t the Rockets I'd really apreciate it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.