AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Incredible, moving, and engaging interview that the master critic himself gave with Chris Jones @ Esquire about his life, both past and current after cancer has left him disfigured and disabled. He lives on via Twitter and his blog, and is arguably doing his best and loudest work now through those and other mediums than he did when he could speak. This slashfilm article has a link to both the interview and Ebert's follow-up on his own blog.. highly recommend both reads:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/18/...le-in-esquire/

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I seek out Ebert's written reviews on his website, and have for years. I can generally gauge whether I will like a movie based on his take, even when his tastes and my own diverge. His reviews are therefore the most valuable I have read. I prefer to avoid his political musings, which have become more frequent.

I had no idea he had lost his entire lower jaw. Glad he has been getting along reasonably well, as evidenced by his work.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
While I don't always agree with Ebert his love of movies is quite apparent and his perspective is always valuable and worth checking out.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I had known for some time he'd been pretty sick, but first Siskel and now Ebert too?

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I have found since he left the TV show due to his illness that some his writings are borderline loony, but then again I consider many of his peers in that category yet they are "healthy". I miss the "old Ebert".

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun /forum/post/18165344

I have found since he left the TV show due to his illness that some his writings are borderline loony, but then again I consider many of his peers in that category yet they are "healthy". I miss the "old Ebert".

I dunno...maybe it's the medication the poor guy must be taking...

·
Registered
27,416 Posts
Wow... Life hands out some difficult challenges. Some worse than others as we can see. Good luck to him. What a great attitude. He is to be so admired.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy /forum/post/18162698

I had known for some time he'd been pretty sick, but first Siskel and now Ebert too?

His current condition isn't quite as serious as Siskel's.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks /forum/post/18161630

While I don't always agree with Ebert his love of movies is quite apparent and his perspective is always valuable and worth checking out.

I agree, Ebert's been willing in recent years to give overly laudatory reviews to too many unworthy films (Juno comes immediately to mind) at a time when he and other critics should be lambasting the current putrid state of the cinema. But he's been in such terrible health the last few years, it's understandable if he's softened up a little, and he's such a fine writer that his musings, about films he happens to have a perceptive take on or other topics, are still relevant and entertaining.

Stay strong, Roger.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts
Ebert has excellent writing skills and often is quite amusing.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Probably wouldn't be a bad idea for a mod to at least insert the word "spoken" in parentheses between "Last" and "Words".

Even though I was well aware of his health issues, I still thought he may have died when I read the thread title.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I can remember watching Sneak Previews on PBS with my dad in the late 70s / early 80s. I'm sorry to hear about his health issues. It sounds like he is making the best of them, however.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrumm /forum/post/18167447

His current condition isn't quite as serious as Siskel's.

I meant he seems to be only a step away, though..

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Ebert does have good writing skills, but I determined long ago that his reviews are worthless as far as determining whether or not a movie is good. There's simply no logical consistency there.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollo131 /forum/post/18167628

I agree, Ebert's been willing in recent years to give overly laudatory reviews to too many unworthy films (Juno comes immediately to mind) at a time when he and other critics should be lambasting the current putrid state of the cinema.

As always such statements are meaningless because they are just opinions. I think that Juno is the one of the best movies of its decade.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR /forum/post/18174627

Ebert does have good writing skills, but I determined long ago that his reviews are worthless as far as determining whether or not a movie is good.

Roger has never claimed to somehow presciently know everyone's tastes - he's always said that enjoyment of film is subjective and that his reviews express only his own reactions to the movies he writes about.

What I've found is that he's the best at explaining why he likes or dislikes a movie, which gives me a much better handle on judging how I'll react to it. And IMHO no other reviewer can touch his writing style.

Completely off the topic of written reviews, but I'll never forget his Siskel & Ebert review of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Both of them were bubbling over with excitement and blurting out comments when Roger exclaimed "The rock! We didn't even tell them about the rock!".

1 - 20 of 49 Posts