AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have lurked in the shadows for quite some time, but tonight is the night I begin to post!

I was at a friend's house earlier this evening and his wife was watching the beginning of Wild Rose on standard def CBC at 9PM EST (I didn't care enough to suggest switching to the 5xx HD channel). When he came into the living room, he changed the channel to HD CBC and the Scientific Atlanta HD box displayed a message I've never seen before:

paraphrasing, forgive me:

"Y/Pb/Cr output has been disabled for this program"

The message was 4:3 and you could see the programming where the side black bars would be. A few seconds later and the message disappeared. His HD box goes to a Denon receiver through HDMI, and the receiver passes it to the television through (I *believe*) HDMI. It may be DVI or even Component though...

Anyways, the message went away and the show displayed without further incident. I wasn't at home and didn't want to suggest rewiring his rig to verify if this message was true so I pose these question to the AVS community:

Did anyone else notice this message? Was anyone on component unable to watch the program? I didn't think Canada (especially CBC) utilized SOC... especially given CBC's recent bit torrent episode distribution experiment.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Are you sure it isn't just the SA box barfing due to a failed HDCP handshake? When I had Cox cable with an SA box, it would pop up a similar message if I had it plugged into 2 TVs at the same time (HDMI and component) and had the HDMI TV set on the wrong input. Switching to the correct input would fix the problem once it was able to handshake correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
coyoteaz,

I hadn't thought of that, but that's exactly why I came to AVS. It could be anything, and that makes sense

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
Topic moved.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGarlic /forum/post/15481804

So I have lurked in the shadows for quite some time, but tonight is the night I begin to post!

I was at a friend's house earlier this evening and his wife was watching the beginning of Wild Rose on standard def CBC at 9PM EST (I didn't care enough to suggest switching to the 5xx HD channel). When he came into the living room, he changed the channel to HD CBC and the Scientific Atlanta HD box displayed a message I've never seen before:

paraphrasing, forgive me:

"Y/Pb/Cr output has been disabled for this program"

The message was 4:3 and you could see the programming where the side black bars would be. A few seconds later and the message disappeared. His HD box goes to a Denon receiver through HDMI, and the receiver passes it to the television through (I *believe*) HDMI. It may be DVI or even Component though...

Anyways, the message went away and the show displayed without further incident. I wasn't at home and didn't want to suggest rewiring his rig to verify if this message was true so I pose these question to the AVS community:

Did anyone else notice this message? Was anyone on component unable to watch the program? I didn't think Canada (especially CBC) utilized SOC... especially given CBC's recent bit torrent episode distribution experiment.

Cheers!

It could be a faulty handshake, due to the Denon A/V receiver. Try to replicate the issue with the HDMI connected directly from the STB to the Denon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/15493531

It could be a faulty handshake, due to the Denon A/V receiver. Try to replicate the issue with the HDMI connected directly from the STB to the Denon.

Hmmm, I'll suggest that he watch Wild Rose again and play with the cables... I doubt he will though lol. =)

Thanks all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts