AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a Toshiba 61" hd ready tv 4:3 ratio and he just received a rogers hd cable box (not sure what model). He tells me over the phone that while watching the hi def broad cast of a Blue Jays game that his screen is showing it in 4:3 ratio and not 16:9.

Now this is all I have confirmed. The cable box is hooked up to the HD1 component input on tv and he has selected that source. I ask him to check out all the other HD channels and they all do the same thing. Oh ya I almost forgot when he watches a non HD channel he said the tv gets black bars on the sides.

Your help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
What model is the TV? The earliest models (ending in X81) did not have the ability to reformat the image (letterbox or vertical compression) to properly display an HDTV signal. The current Rogers HD boxes don't have that ability either.

You either have to wait for the next generation Rogers HDTV terminals, or contact Toshiba Canada and inquiry about the HDP-01. It's a device that connects between the cable box and the TV and reformats the video.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the HDP-01 a device that you can purchase from Toshiba? and how much do they go for?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK here is the update. My father got off the phone with a Toshiba rep and he said that he needs a scaler that normally costs $500 but he would sell it to my father for $100. He also said to receive this scaler for that price he would have to show the TV was purchased at a registered Toshiba dealer,and proof that he is receiving a hi def signal from Rogers Cable by faxing a copy of the Rogers bill.

Johnny is this the norm?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by audiohead
OK here is the update. My father got off the phone with a Toshiba rep and he said that he needs a scaler that normally costs $500 but he would sell it to my father for $100. He also said to receive this scaler for that price he would have to show the TV was purchased at a registered Toshiba dealer,and proof that he is receiving a hi def signal from Rogers Cable by faxing a copy of the Rogers bill.

Johnny is this the norm?
Toshiba Canada has really stepped up to the plate by offering its Canadian customers of the X81 series this video scaler. This scaler was designed and built in Canada, specifically for Canadian customers.

For those who don't know what this does, it essentially takes a 16:9 1080i image, and reformats it to a 16:9 image inside a 4:3 1080i window by adding black bars at the top and bottom of the image. Basically, you're getting a 16:9 890i image. You would think that such a scaling of the image would destroy the picture quality, but it does a great job.

A good friend of mine got one for his television, and I can say that Toshiba Canada is losing money on these devices by selling them for only $100.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought the HDP-1 in a private sale to fix the very same problem with my RCA MM32110 HD set. They are tough to find if you dont have a Toshiba set. It took me 6 months to find someone willing to sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.