AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. I wandered into a room on the 29th floor of the venetian at CES 2009 that had Rogers speakers running with their system, and they sounded heavenly. Can someone hook me up with more information about these speakers? Also, did anyone else hear them, and did they sound as they should?

I'm still learning, so any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
If it's the same Rogers LS3/5A, almost identical to the Kef 101A, from 1980, it's a sweetheart of a speaker. It sounds beautiful, but only in an intimate setting on non-challenging material. Sensitivity is around 82 dB, and they don't handle much power, especially below 80 Hz. There's an upper bass bump that gives the speaker some spectral balance, but I've heard them work very well with a sub, usually an Audio Pro B2-40, from the same era.

If you listen to chamber music or delicate jazz and vocals and you will never go above 100 dB and you sit close to your speakers, they're wonderful.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ednerdtheonly /forum/post/15540149

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums. I wandered into a room on the 29th floor of the venetian at CES 2009 that had Rogers speakers running with their system, and they sounded heavenly. Can someone hook me up with more information about these speakers? Also, did anyone else hear them, and did they sound as they should?

I'm still learning, so any help would be great.

Thanks guys!

The LS3/5A monitor is one of the few speakers that made an impact in the audiophile market in the 80's, notably famous for their lush midrange, impressive sound stage and imaging coming from such a small speaker. Due to its low sensitivity, it needs good amplification to extol all the virtues that these speakers have. Vocals, strings, pianos, flutes.... sound has it's own sweetness and mesmerizing qualities that will linger on once heard thru these speakers. What is the selling price now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no idea what they sell for. I'll be checking eBay in a second I suppose. The pair I saw at Lotus Audio looked close to new (original box etc.). My ears are still learning what's good and what's not, so I'm glad I heard these speakers @ CES.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
There are a few LS3/5a variations from Spendor and Rogers. Even within the Rogers LS3/5As there were many different versions with the 12 ohm version being the highest in demand. Rogers even had a matching sub / stand for them at one time (mid 90's). I was going to buy the LS3/5As at that time but instead went with the ProAc Tablette's for a second system. The Proac's have long been sold but I am sure if I picked up the LS3/5A's I'd still have them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts