AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In light of the recent price change making these devices the same price, which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
I have looked at and considered both. For me, I'd go Roku because I want better quality netflix and better sound from netflix, the revue does not offer that - at the moment. If I wanted to surf the web I'd go Revue, but I really don't need that.

So, while they are similar they are different, get the one that meets your needs.

·
UHD Addict
39,640 Posts
If you use a receiver with HDMI for multichannel audio with the Revue, the Revue does not work properly. It always sends out a 7.1 PCM signal even when the source is 2.0 or even 5.1. And then the receiver is unable to apply post processing which greatly lessens what you will get from the Revue audio wise.

For Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu+ streaming the Roku2 blows the Revue away.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't have a Roku, but I bought a Revue a week and a half ago.

Being able to browse the internet like we would on a computer was a top priority for us (more for my wife). But Netflix and Amazon were also important as I'm looking to lower my cable bill.

So far, internet is fine. There's a website my wife reads, and they did a broadcast from overseas last week that my wife wanted to watch on the TV rather than on the computer. It worked great. Picture and sound quality were excellent over the four days of the event.

Internet browsing with the Revue's keyboard also works fine.

As for Netflix and Amazon, I'm using the free trials of both to see how I like them.

So far, they both also work fine. Of course, picture and sound quality depend on the source. I've watched some movies from both, and find picture quality can be surprisingly good. Watched "Tora Tora Tora" a few days ago on Netflix. Picture quality was so good, I'd rate it borderline Blu Ray.

As posted by sgvroadster, it depends on what you want to do with it. Our needs are simple; internet and Netflix/Amazon. So far, the Revue performs those need fine.

The media player in Revue gets slammed as it doesn't perform well, at this point, for streaming some formats that a lot of people want/need. I don't stream movies stored on my computer, so that doesn't matter to me. It does work fine for music.

As for the audio problem that aaronwt posted about, he's right. However, the workaround is simple. Use an optical cable from the Revue to the AVR.

That's how I have it connected, and it works fine.

So, think about what you want to do, and read up on the different choices.

So far, for what we want, the Revue is perfect.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 /forum/post/20876923

Does the Roku play XVID, MKV, MP4 files?

From the website for the Roku 2 XS - MP4 (H.264) video, AAC and MP3 audio, and JPEG and PNG photos. No XviD. So, limited audio and video codec and container compatability.

Roku is primarily an internet content streamer with limited ability to play media from a USB attached drive. There is no DNLA capability so no networked PC or NAS streaming of movies.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX /forum/post/20877388

From the website for the Roku 2 XS - MP4 (H.264) video, AAC and MP3 audio, and JPEG and PNG photos. No XviD. So, limited audio and video codec and container compatability.

Roku is primarily an internet content streamer with limited ability to play media from a USB attached drive. There is no DNLA capability so no networked PC or NAS streaming of movies.

Not entirely correct, there are options for local streaming and MKV and other formats are coming to the "USB Channel" as well.

Per C. Shawn Smith - Forum Community Liaison

"Okay, here's what I was told:

Currently, MKV is not supported, but it will be. There were issues with it on the Roku2 hardware (as well as a few other file types, including MOV, WMV, and WMA), which forced us to remove support for them temporarily. The engineer working on getting support for them is making progress, however, so hopefully it won't be too long before it's re-enabled. As the issues are rather complicated, however, don't expect anything too soon.

Sorry I couldn't give you better hope, but at least you know it will be there.

C. Shawn Smith" - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...=41739#p282876

As for local streaming - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=26058

Roksbox - gives you the ability to play your own videos and movies, listen to your own music, and show your own photographs on the Roku Digital Video player. Your media can reside on your computer's hard drive, on an external drive, on a network attached storage (NAS) device located on your home or local area network, or on a USB attached device (XR model only).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sabrewulf:

I had to answer with what Roku can do currently. You never know what will happen in the future so be prepared for any current limitations to be permanent.

Roku has no native DNLA support so, again, you have to be prepared to accept the limitations of what the box is currently. I am aware of the link you posted and it is great to be able to add functionality with software like Roksbox, Plex, NoWhere TV, PlayOn, StreamFREE, MyMedia, etc. You have to do this on your own since Roku doesn't support it out of the box. It isn't difficult but it isn't something many who buy Roku will know about or end up doing, especially if you constantly need to convert your videos to a format Roku can handle. Someone has written a script for Handbrake to facilitate batch conversions.

Knowledge is power! Your post will inform more people about the hidden power of Roku. It's all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.