AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got myself in trouble as I search out complexity and perfection. I have a Roku 3 and a Denon AVR 1913 and an older 1080i Panasonic Plasma TH-42PE77U. I also have a Roku 1. Since the Denon has HDMI passthrough switching, I thought this was great: hook up the xbox, blue ray, and the roku to the Denon and output the HDMI signal to the TV. For some reason this setup worked for months. I could get 5.1 sound out of the roku and watch content in an immersive sound experience. Then one day I got the purple screen HDCP error screen and suddenly I couldn't watch any Roku content when plugged into the Denon. I could plug the Roku directly into one of the 2 HDMI ports on the TV and that works fine - just no surround sound.

I complained to Roku, who told me it's not Roku's fault (it's always someone else's fault) and they warned me that a new replacement Roku 3 wouldn't help. I persisted and they sent me a new one, and wouldn't you know, they were right: I still have the same problem.

I am left with a few options:

1. Give up on surround sound on the roku
  2. Request Denon replace my receiver (still under warranty)
  3. Blame it on the TV and replace that 7 year old item

I know there is considerable chatter about the Roku and HDCP error. I'm interested in opinions on what component is to blame in my setup? I have done various things like switch around the HDMI cables, reverse ends on cables, and put the Roku HDMI cable into a different port on the TV.

thanks!

Jim

IMG_0599.jpg 18k .jpg file

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Is your BD player and xbox working without problems? You can always try a HDMI switch from Monoprice. This is how I got around the HDMI dropouts between my Denon AVR and Sony TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only item that has any problems is the Roku: both the xbox and the Panasonic BD player have no issues with the switching. Of course I have heard that the Roku 3 is much more likely to have these HDCP issues than the Roku 2. The fact that the Roku 3 does fine directly into the TV make suspicious of the Denon receiver as the possible culprit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It does sound like it is an issue with the Denon since you have replaced cables and are able to get the Roku 3 to work when connected directly to your HDTV. (I'm assuming you've already tried connecting the Roku 3 to either the BD player or Xbox HDMI input that you know works on the Denon.) One thing to ask although I suspect you have tried this already, are you turning on your receiver before the Panasonic? I ask only because I was having HDCP issues on my Roku 3 when plugged into my AV receiver and discovered that I needed to power on the AV receiver first (in my case, a Marantz) and then power on my HDTV to avoid triggering the Roku 3's HDCP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts