AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1081 - 1100 of 1226 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You are going to first need to hook the bridge to your wireless router with the cable. Follow the instructions provided in the box. You are going to have to setup your wireless SSID address and everything so that the bridge can talk to your router. Your wireless router (which I assume you have) is your DHCP server (which gives the bridge an IP address).

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Can someone explain exactly how to connect to a transport stream which is streaming via HTTP from VLC? I've had limited success playing ts files with streamplayer or MpegPSPlay and thought VLC streaming from a Mac or PC may yield better results. I know I need to telnet into the Roku and somehow then connect to VLC but am not sure of the syntax. If anyone can explain this in detail or point to instructions elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chris,

I followed your instructions on connecting the bridge. I even spent an hour and a half on the phone with Netgear and still haven't resolved the problem. The Roku is sill saying no network servers found. I don't know what to do at this point.

·
Registered
188 Posts
typrsn,

Does the HD1000 show an IP Address (shown at the top of the network share setup page)?

If it doesn't, then the bridge likely isn't configured properly (since it doesn't appear to be forwarding DHCP requests to the HD1000 as it should be)

If you do have an IP Address, and no servers are found, is the "Add Account" button greyed out? If it isn't try clicking on it and seeing what servers have been found.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rcliff
Can someone explain exactly how to connect to a transport stream which is streaming via HTTP from VLC? I've had limited success playing ts files with streamplayer or MpegPSPlay and thought VLC streaming from a Mac or PC may yield better results. I know I need to telnet into the Roku and somehow then connect to VLC but am not sure of the syntax. If anyone can explain this in detail or point to instructions elsewhere, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I'd like to see a step by step also.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
typrsn,

I can't believe that Netgear support couldn't get your Bridge talking to your router. The bridge should show an IP address assigned to it when you go into your bridge or into the router setup screen. Are they both communicating? You haven't mentioned what wireless router you are using.

As before, when you go into the setup screen of the Roku and don't see an IP address - then your bridge is not properly setup and not sending the Roku any info.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsjames
I'd like to see a step by step also.
If figured out the VLC streaming with the help of this post on the roku mailing list. Some specific directions for anyone interested follow below. The only problem is that DD 5.1 is not passed via the S/PDIF port. It tried this with MpegPSPlay 0.7, 0.8, and 0.9. Has anyone got this working with DD 5.1?

To stream via HTTP from VLC on a PC to the roku

Set up VLC on a Mac or PC to stream via HTTP
  1. In the VLC open dialogue browse to your transport stream
  2. In the same window click "advanced output" then "settings"
  3. For the advanced output options click "stream", type "http" and choose a port (default is 1234)
  4. Hit OK in each dialogue to start streaming[/list=1]Connect to VLC via telnet
    1. Telnet to your roku's IP address
    2. Login as root, no password is default
    3. Change directory to find the location for MpegPSPlay.roku
    4. Type "MpegPSPlay.roku http://192.168.1.2:1234/ ". Substitute the IP of your PC streaming VLC[/list=1]The big advantage of this setup over direct playback with streamplayer or MpegPSPlay is that you can control the time position of the recording with the VLC slider on the PC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Roku doesn't show an IP address and I have done the proper configuration of the bridge. For some reason, it just doesn't work when connected to the Roku. I am using the Netgear MR814 wireless router. My bridge again is the Netgear WGE101.

·
Registered
188 Posts
1) Does the HD1000 get an address when connected directly to your wired ethernet?

2) Does the bridge work when connected to a PC?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Did you guys see the posting on Slashdot of a bad review of the roku. I'm not saying that I agree with all of it, but it may be time to kick the development into high gear, been a long time since we have seen any updates, even on the third party front. If I remember there was suppossed to be a new version of CinemaSix at the end of last month that never came to fruition (besides a alpha version)...

·
Registered
80 Posts
It seems developing apps for the HD1000 fairly difficult. The developer of CinemaSix is still active on the developer mail list. I think there is an effort to leverage another effort to port parts of vlc to the HD1000. I am sceptical of these efforts due to the small amount of free memory available for roku apps - it limits what the box is capable of.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Suggest you keep in mind that CinemaSix is a third party developer project and not Roku. Sajel gets to it when he can.

Also, the HD1000 was always marketed as a JPG and MP3 player, not necessarily MPG, etc yet. I payed 499 and don't regret it even though the price has dropped.

Look at the Subject of this thread: Roku Still Image Player

Bill

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I too have been very happy with the HD1000. However, they do need to work on making the firmware a little more robust. I get a lot of lockups - even had my screensaver lock up before (this is completely unexceptable as the screensaver function is one of the reasons I purchased the unit).

As far as I am converned, video is just a plus. I do want to see the interface for JPG viewing and MP3 playing enhanced and made robust enough not too lock up. Roku has their hands full with the Soundbridge and I do not believe devoting the resources to properly address these HD1000 issues.

Note: If anyone from Roku is listening - how about the ability to turn off the video circuit and leave the audio playing. Although I assume my MP3 playing will go to the Soundbridge once it is released. I'm more enthusiastic than ever regarding the Soundbridge because it sounds like I will be able to use my PocketPC anywhere in the house to control the Soundbridge. Then on the wish list would be the ability to display the album cover and song info on some type of screen saver for the HD1000.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Babula
Also, the HD1000 was always marketed as a JPG and MP3 player, not necessarily MPG, etc yet. I payed 499 and don't regret it even though the price has dropped.
Not true. Some of their marketing material has clearly mentioned playing DVD movies from hard drives. This was from a full page ad on page 29 of the May issue of Sound & Vision Magazine...

"The Roku HD1000 High-definition digital media player brings your high-def

TV to life with digital photos, classic art and LiveArt, your entire music

library - even DVDs you've saved to your computer"

·
Registered
739 Posts
OK Cheezmo, me bad. I never saw that, so I viewed any video possibility as "future" stuff. By the way, was that May 2004? I bought mine in December 2003.

Bill

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yes, May 2004

1081 - 1100 of 1226 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.