Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know anything about this?

Quote:
It's the first digital media player to be designed for high-definition televisions, which are gaining in popularity as prices drop.

The HD1000 can play slideshows, video or music files from its four built-in memory card slots, or play files streamed from a computer via an Ethernet network connection.
I have no idea what format media it uses.

(link courtesy of Monty Solomon)

- Tom

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. That seems to be the only available info. But I'm interested in this thing. We have various ways to record to HTPC, DVHS etc. But there can be playback problems, especially when we convert to some more advanced codec. I'm hoping this thing can be a swiss army knife of networked hardware accelerated multi-codec playback.

But of course I'm also hoping to win the lotto. ;)

- Tom

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What a disappointment. It's simply an HD media server....oh, and that media is pictures and art. Big deal. No recording or capture capability; no DVR, no nothing except turning an HDTV into a hi-def aquarium. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
It's supposed to be able to play HD video clips from files on your LAN, over wired connections. It might be doable over 802.11g or 802.11a, but I've had friends try to play DiVX files wireless over g (using hacked Xboxes) without much success. But then, it was hackware--often, you get what you pay for, though sometimes you get more ;).

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It can play [email protected] and all ATSC formats so maybe it can play HD over a 100 mbps lan. But I've never had much luck with that using my HTPC and a HiDTV card. At least in my house 100 mbps lan's don't seem to be able to sustain even 20 mbps for some reason.

But it would be nice to add some playback options, even if only MPEG-2. The current PC cards seem to want a constant 19.3 mbps stream, which sort of defeats the point of stripping out sub-channels to save disk space. So this should be interesting.

I'm a little disappointed there is not mention of HD resolution playback of MPEG-4, H264/AVC, WM9, etc. That would almost certainly have been enough to sell me.

- Tom

·
Registered
591 Posts
according to this report, it can record and play HD content, although i see nothing on the website to support this...

HDTV Digital Recorder To Be Unveiled Today

A Silicon Valley-based company has developed a digital video recorder, named the Roku, aimed at owners of high definition TV sets. As reported by the Associated Press, the company was founded by Anthony Wood, who previously started up the software firm that developed the popular Dreamweaver program for designing websites and another firm that introduced ReplayTV, the first digital video recorder for conventional TV sets. The $499 Roku, being unveiled today (Monday) not only can record and play HDTV programs with all the familiar VCR functions but can also be hooked up to a PC, and an add-on memory card will allow it to display a slide show of paintings, nature and aquarium images. Wood, who sold his previous startups before the downturn in the market for technology stocks, told AP: "I'm not doing it for the money, but I really enjoy building things. ... There's so much opportunity in the shift to digital media, and I don't think the products out there are being done well."

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
Geez, and really weak music support. UI has no cover art display, and they only support MP3. So no WMA9, nor any form of lossless compression. Not even good ol' WAV is mentioned...

Oh wait, it's Linux - I can add it myself! *sigh*

Jeff

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
according to this report, it can record and play HD content, although i see nothing on the website to support this...
That's the only thing I've seen that suggests it can record. It doesn't have anything to record on. Does it?

- Tom

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
They are planning on selling 20,000 of them, and yet it appears that (a) we can't figure out what it does (b) we get this stuff (c) at least some of us -- like me -- find the little tidbits out there very uninteresting.

Where is the beef?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
JustMike (Mike Kobb, formerly "ReplayMike" ;)) apparently worked on this device and has commented on it in this thread (started by Ken H.) over in the HDTV Hardware forum.

I e-mailed them some questions and made a suggestion that they put up a PDF version of its manual on their site. AFAIC, that's the best possible online advertisement.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Thanks for the link. Well, it's interesting, but unless you're really into browsing photos on your HDTV, or displaying decorative artwork on your HDTV while you're not using it for something else, not a lot of use, IMHO. It's a pathetic music player, given it's incredibly anemic "browser". It just offers you a flat list of files, and although you can organize the files in directory hierarchies to make searching easier, it doesn't let you browse the tags or sort the information by tags for you; you can't say "give me a list of all the artists whose music I have" or "give me a list of all of the album titles" or "give me a list of genres I have music in" and then navigate hierarchically from there down (all of the albums for a particular artist or all of the tracks for a particular album, etc). I have 4500 tracks ripped from over 400 albums by dozens of different artists on my PC--it'd be a nightmare navigating my collection using this. I also see no suggestion of support for stored playlists. (I ripped my CD collection to files on disk primarily to download them into my Nomad Jukebox Zen, but ended up buying an Audiotron--which I love--to play them over my wireless LAN in my living room).

Like I said, it's interesting, but I got no use for it. With so many televisions coming out with memory card slots from which to view photos, it needs to learn some new tricks quick.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The manual says practically nothing about playing HDTV files over a network. And there are a whole raft of details to be considered, such as network performance issues, sub-channel selection, smoothly spanning multiple files, various naming conventions, etc. I get the feeling not much thought has gone into that part yet, so I guess I'll patiently wait for reports from the trenches.

But these features are much more important to me than being able to purchase a screen saver on a stick. It seems I remember an old Dilbert cartoon where they were requested to invent something difficult but enventually settled for fish. Anyone remember that one? ;)

- Tom

·
Registered
740 Posts
From what I read it is a linux box, and could be a great platform for all the linux hackers to build on. Also it is supposed to have the hardware for HD just not in the first version of software. We need MORE info about the hardware spec. the firmware can always be upgraded.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
But I have a Linux box that hackers can do an almost infinite number of things with --> My PC.

I'm still confused.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
But I have a Linux box that hackers can do an almost infinite number of things with --> My PC.

I'm still confused.
True,

but it depends on what the hardware spec is. does your linux box have a HD tuner card and sound card ? does it have the OS in firmware for instant on?

This should be more like a STB or a HD hardware enhanced terminal for a media server!!!. If it is a open system that will allow third party software to be added it could grow into something very cool.

If it can not support HD video, and they do not have development tools availble for it, then it would be a wast of money for a TV pic viewer.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Does the Roku box have an HD tuner? I didn't realize that.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Does the Roku box have an HD tuner? I didn't realize that.
The specs do not indicate this, so no, it does not have a tuner card. It only states that it can decode all ATSC streams, but not tune them.

Kerry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.