AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased the Roku HD Streaming device (the 720p version) and I've been streaming videos from Hulu Plus (Daily Shows and Colbert Reports - yes, I'm a Directv customer looking for another way to get the only two programs I really care about from Viacom). My download speed is about 3.3 mbps and I'm using the HDMI cable. I've noticed that I have a hard time starting a video. Frequently it freezes at the end of the initial commercial, sometimes later. If I pause it or stop it for a while and then restart it two or three times, I've noticed that the video will frequently start playing without a problem after that. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a kind of informal protocal one should follow streaming these videos such as: start it, pause it for a couple minutes, then start . . . to insure a consistent playing of the video?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Have you tried other services? Do they work properly? Does the Roku have a quality display or similar that displays how well it's receiving data? Are there other users on-line? Being the basic Roku, I'm pretty certain it's wireless only (yuck.) Wireless and streaming are not a good combination in my opinion.

Viacom has pulled many of it's shows from Hulu in a fit of anger against DirectTV, affecting EVERYBODY.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shendley  /t/1420163/roku-hulu-issue#post_22217286

I just purchased the Roku HD Streaming device (the 720p version) and I've been streaming videos from Hulu Plus (Daily Shows and Colbert Reports - yes, I'm a Directv customer looking for another way to get the only two programs I really care about from Viacom). My download speed is about 3.3 mbps and I'm using the HDMI cable. I've noticed that I have a hard time starting a video. Frequently it freezes at the end of the initial commercial, sometimes later. If I pause it or stop it for a while and then restart it two or three times, I've noticed that the video will frequently start playing without a problem after that. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a kind of informal protocal one should follow streaming these videos such as: start it, pause it for a couple minutes, then start . . . to insure a consistent playing of the video?

When I had the older Roku XD in my system it exhibited that behavior from time to time and my player was ethernet-wired (10 Mbps download). I eventually replaced it with the WDTV Live streamer and the problem disappeared. I occasionally use my Panasonic 210 Blu-ray player to stream Hulu+ and it does not have this problem either. As Andy says it could be the wireless that's giving you problems - or the unit itself. If you bought it at a local store like Best Buy or Walmart take it back for an exchange.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I should try another service. I've been focused on Hulu Plus because of my fixation on getting episodes of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. I wish my Panasonic Blu Ray Player (BD-65) had access to Hulu Plus so I could compare but it doesn't. Actually, if this pattern holds up (where I start a video, stop or pause it for a few minuutes, and then it plays okay), I may keep the Roku as I can put up with that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked out a movie on Crackle. It played flawlessly. So this appears to be an issue specifically with Hulu Plus.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Just bought a Roku2XS about 12 days ago and haven't had any problem streaming Crackle, Hulu+ or any other "channel" except one,but i can't remember the name of that one.The symbol for that channel is a drive in movie marquee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Roku XDS and I have used Netflix, Crackle, Amazon videos (and a few, not-so-famous channels) without any problem in last 8 months. But Hulu Plus always hangs... either while playing a video or advertisement, I couldn't find any particular pattern. I hate it, don't know if it is Hulu app issue or Roku... will stop paying for Hulu subscription

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have a Roku xs2 and have begun to notice problems from time to time with Hulu+,especially yesterday when i couldn't get a steady stream no matter how many times i tried.Went some of my other channels and had no problems at all,so i think the problem is with Hulu+

·
Registered
781 Posts
I was on the free trial of hulu plus on my old hd roku and never had a problem.

I can't believe it froze on a paid for advertisement lol

It sure sounds like your ISP

"Drive In Movies" $3 per year.

they had a lot of these on roku and I got a few.

I got the drive in when it first appeared and it said $3 for lifetime.

Can they play on any other device or just the roku?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts