AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been able to find any authoritative opinions or direct comparisons of these 2 products. Seems like the Squeezebox2 may be the lesser of 2 evils, or am I just hearing more squeaky wheels on the Roku? (luckily I don't have iTunes, so I don't have to worry about that!)

All opinions and comments appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my SB2 last week and so far I couldn't be happier with it. I don't know much about the Roku, but I'm certain if you do a search on this forum you'll find some "authoritative opinions".

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can't praise the SB2 enough. Flawless implementation of a product. No complaints so far.

There are some detailed Squeezebox threads that can be found with a search.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I recently switched from an Airport Express to a SB2....could not be happier.

The Airport Express was nice, and I had it hooked up digitally to my pre/pro. It just wasn't very robust as far as the wireless network was concerned.

The SB2 on the other hand is just better product all the way around...but it should be.

·
Registered
165 Posts
sb2 no contest

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks folks. Responses are what I expected. I conclude the SB2 is by far the better product, as there are rarely negative comments. The Roku occasionally gets positive reports, which I assume come from people who have no experience with the SB2!

Thanks!

All I have to do now is get one! Anybody out there in Kingston, Ontario who would like to do a demo??

·
Registered
320 Posts
Why is the SB2 a better product than the Roku? I'm new to digital streaming (but it sounds like fun). If the Roku was a 100-bill cheaper would the SB2 still be better?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Anyone??

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
Why is the SB2 a better product than the Roku? I'm new to digital streaming (but it sounds like fun). If the Roku was a 100-bill cheaper would the SB2 still be better?
nmo,

I don't think it's necessarily that one is better than the other. Rather it is more a question of which one best fits your needs. I just purchased the SB2 after considerable thought given to both the SB and the Roku. I very much liked the Roku product, especially with it's ability to tap into the various online music services such as Yahoo!. What swayed me to the SB2 was my ability to install Slimserver on a NAS device and the fact that this is a program made especially with the SB2 in mind. They're both very similar and I found myself making a decision based on very subtle differences.

·
Registered
320 Posts
donebetter thank you for your reply. I think I like the Roku better because of its simplistic setup & operation. Yahoo! Music is definitely a plus point (for now).

How do you use the SB2 with your NAS? Curious to hear its capabilities from a end-user.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have both units, an M2000 and a Squeezebox2

As of this post, I have not seen the wireless solution for the Roku compatible with a wireless network with WPA encryption turned on, so if wireless security is an issue and wish to continue using WPA, then SB2 is the best solution for you at this time.

Ease of set up is comparable with both units, in my experience, the Roku a tad easier because it is wired rather than having to enter the WPA password to connect the SB2 wirelessly.

Both units when set up work with comparable ease.

·
Registered
329 Posts
nmo: Why do you think the Roku is simpler to setup and use than the Squeezebox? I've used both, and the Squeezebox was worlds better than the Roku. Much faster, singificantly more intuitive, and just generally more polished.

Jacksan: That's hardly a fair comparison, setup-wise. You can plug the Squeezebox in wired, too, and it'll work just as easily. If you're doing wireless, though, the Squeezebox setup is much more friendly than the Roku's (particularly if things don't work the first time, which isn't uncommon with secured networks -- the Squeezebox stored the WEP key so I didn't have to retype it fresh every time I tried to change a setting, but the Roku required me to retype the entire 26-hex-digit string every time, using nothing but up and down arrows).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlows
nmo: Why do you think the Roku is simpler to setup and use than the Squeezebox? I've used both, and the Squeezebox was worlds better than the Roku. Much faster, singificantly more intuitive, and just generally more polished.

Jacksan: That's hardly a fair comparison, setup-wise. You can plug the Squeezebox in wired, too, and it'll work just as easily. If you're doing wireless, though, the Squeezebox setup is much more friendly than the Roku's (particularly if things don't work the first time, which isn't uncommon with secured networks -- the Squeezebox stored the WEP key so I didn't have to retype it fresh every time I tried to change a setting, but the Roku required me to retype the entire 26-hex-digit string every time, using nothing but up and down arrows).
Frankly, I haven't seen the SB2, but from what I read about both, it looks to me that the Roku seems to have a very simple setup. This is going by user & magazine reviews elsewhere on the web. Whereas for the SB2, its SlimServer comes into play which I'm sure adds more flexibility but at the cost of ease? Maybe SB2 needs to market its ease of use for newcomers to look at it seriously.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mkozlows:

I believe the intial poster was asking for wireless streaming: if he/she wants to do wireless streaming they have to turn off the WPA setting on their network, which I am not willing to do. I'm not willing to reduce the security level and use WEP just for the Roku unit.

I agree, that most likely the SB2 is going to be as easy to set up via wired as the Roku is, but I haven't needed to wire the SB2. With the units remembering or not remembering the encryption key notwithstanding, both are a little bit of a pain to enter the keys at the set up.

Sorry I was mix and matching (Roku wired, vs SB2 wireless) but both were essentially painless to do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had both and I agree with mosts people in saying the SB2 is a better product at any price point. Yes even at $100 more. The products looks similiar only at first blush. Once you get into the down and dirty of using them you'll find the SB2 is more polished and easier to use. Applelossless, FLAC and Org can only be played on the Roku via SB2's slimserver software. So, if you are going to be running slimserver anyway why bother with Roku use the player that it was designed around SB.

Roku's release schedule and product support have a very dubious reputation on the net. While the Squeezebox is constantly being improved. Also, Its less than compatible with Linux.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmo
Frankly, I haven't seen the SB2, but from what I read about both, it looks to me that the Roku seems to have a very simple setup. This is going by user & magazine reviews elsewhere on the web. Whereas for the SB2, its SlimServer comes into play which I'm sure adds more flexibility but at the cost of ease? Maybe SB2 needs to market its ease of use for newcomers to look at it seriously.

nmo--

The SB2 is very easy to setup. After unpacking and hooking up, it is a mere few clicks of the included remote to get it running. As an FYI, Roku's server software is actually SlimServer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just got an M500 at Best Buy, $149 after rebate, and it took less than five minutes to set up and start playing from my iTunes list, including automatic upgrading to latest firmware. Display easy to read from same seat I watch the TV from. I will try slimserver later.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.