AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
We've always loved the Roku Video Player, and it's getting even more flexible over time -- in addition to Netflix and Amazon video rentals, the $99 box can now play, pause, and rewind live HD baseball games in 720p from MLB.TV, as well as play archived games from the previous week on demand. You'll have to pay the one-time MLB.TV subscription fee of $35, but that's not terrible, especially if you're an out-of-market fan looking to catch your favorite team without having to trek out to a bar. Now if only the NFL would let anyone but DirecTV carry Sunday Ticket, we'd be all set.
http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/08/11...s-from-mlb-tv/

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
wow!!!

someone with a mlb.tv subscription PLEASE try this out and post back...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
The games are streaming live at 720p? I'm an indoor lacrosse fan (NLL) which I know is a niche sport but to explain they dont broadcast hardly any of there games on TV but they do stream them thru mogulus. However its like a little 2-4" screen window with a resolution thats probably less then that of VHS. So Im stuck either watching it on a small computer screen or looking at really blocky picture blown up if streamed to my flat scree tv, forget about even attempting streaming to my 110" screen.

This would be a great improvement for them, if they still cant seem to accomplish a tv deals after 20+ years of the leagues existence

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/16980456

wow!!!

someone with a mlb.tv subscription PLEASE try this out and post back...

Review / Hands-on demo here:

Quote:
As for the video quality, it's really good. On a 50" plasma the quality is impressive and while not clearly as good as the HD broadcast TV signal, that would not be a fair comparison since the Roku stream maxes out at 3Mbps. While I noticed a slight lag at times and very slight pixelation, I would imagine that on a smaller TV, it would look even better. That said, the quality is really very good and I can't see any baseball fan having anything to complain about.
http://blog.streamingmedia.com/the_b...ith-video.html

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
oh well... there goes $35...

with the added bonus of being able to stream them to my iphone too, since i already have the app for that...

·
Registered
342 Posts
I purchased the package last night just so I could see Pedro's Phillie Debut. (I don't have cable)

I thought it worked extremely well, It will never be better than a direct feed, but at the price and the features its pretty impressive. There was some pixelation, it dropped the feed out once or twice (I had it on pretty much all afternoon though and it is a pretty new feature so I think I can give it a pass)

As far as I could tell it was about a minute or two behind real time, not bad considering. The DVR features are a nice inclusion but I wish they could have been done a little better. there is no 'preview' when fast forwarding or rewinding like netflix has, so you just have to guess where you want to be and let the machine reload the buffer and hope for the best. This is especially tedious if you are watching a previously recorded game and are trying to skip through the commercials or jump to the next inning. (or god forbid try to skip through a 95 minute rain delay)

Unlike the online version of MLBTV there are zero ads on the roku, they just put up a splash screen when the local broadcast is in commercial.

Another thing that would be cool to offer in the future is the multigame feature MLBTV offers. On the website you can watch 4 games at once. (and at one point I had 5 games going between my laptop and my tv) I think it would be cool even if its not user selectable to have a feed with a similar feature so you can watch and decide which games to watch.

and my last complaint, blackout restrictions apply obviously. They do however allow dvr of local market teams that are available 90 minutes after game time. Like I said above due to financial difficulty I have been without cable all season long and haven't seen many local games. So its nice to be able to see the games even if they are long over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts