AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to streaming, which one provides better processing:
Roku 2 or a BD Player?
Generally speaking, what are the main differences between the 2 streaming devices, if any?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Roku is 'independent' and isn't tied to any particular service. It also has zillions of channels you can add. A BD player (any brand you looking at in particular?) may only offer a fixed listing that you cannot add or remove from. BD players may also only support updates for a year or so before abandoning them.

Other stand-alone streamers like Apple TV, Amazon FireTV, Chromecast, etc... tend to highlight their own services and rentals. I also prefer to have a device that can support a real remote, and not be forced to use my phone or a tablet that you have to look at to know what 'button' you are pressing.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
Thread redundancy

FWIW: To reduce redundancy, it would help to post this subject on a similar existing thread such as the Best Possible Netflix Streaming Device, which welcomes these type questions, despite the reference to 'Netflix'.

Ian

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW: To reduce redundancy, it would help to post this subject on a similar existing thread such as the Best Possible Netflix Streaming Device, which welcomes these type questions, despite the reference to 'Netflix'.

Ian
Noted

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roku is 'independent' and isn't tied to any particular service. It also has zillions of channels you can add. A BD player (any brand you looking at in particular?) may only offer a fixed listing that you cannot add or remove from. BD players may also only support updates for a year or so before abandoning them.

Other stand-alone streamers like Apple TV, Amazon FireTV, Chromecast, etc... tend to highlight their own services and rentals. I also prefer to have a device that can support a real remote, and not be forced to use my phone or a tablet that you have to look at to know what 'button' you are pressing.
I was referring more to performance and processing speed, not channel selection/availability

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had a Roku 3 for a while and got rid of it because i only ever used it for Netflix lol i ended up just buying a chromecast and i personaly actually like that better

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
In terms of quality, both can play a stream. A dedicated device that exists solely for this reason is likely to have more feature and be better supported than a bluray player with that functionality tacked on.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
I have four Rokus, a Roku 2 XD, two 3500 sticks, and a new 3600 stick, which is the best streaming device I've owned. I no longer use my BD players or my Panasonic smart TV, although my wife still uses some of the smart features on the Bedroom's Vizio. The 3600 is very zippy, has all the channels I need, including on demand offerings from most of the networks I watch, and it only takes a few seconds to load HD videos, (including content from Netflix).

Ian

·
Registered
113 Posts
I use the Samsung BD-H6500 blu-ray player for netflix, amazon, and hulu since it supports 24p automatically and has a dual core meaning its fast. I have to use roku for the rest since it doesn't have HBO or showtime. I also had a used BD-5900 that was single core and slower and couldnt get 1080p on amazon either because of the single core or maybe because it was used and worn out or something.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
Since I never notice any judder when streaming, and my main set is a 60hz plasma, 24hz output isn't a priority for me.

Ian

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
Roku 3600 RGB issue

I have found a problem with the new Roku 3600 streaming stick. I had to raise the brightness level on my plasma about 20%, otherwise I experience crushed blacks on most content. Even the home screen is a bit dark. After further investigation I discovered that the 3600's RGB range is non compliant (0-255) which is more compatible with PC displays. Fortunately my set's HDMI's input can be changed from the RGB standard (16-235) to non compliant or auto which resolved this issue. No more crushed blacks. ;) Not sure why Roku would designed it this way. :rolleyes:

Ian

·
Registered
8,692 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts

Ian

So, then, bury it in a 278 page thread?

BTW, you have provided some really good info on Roku. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
In my case Roku 2 vs Sony bp-3500. Roku wins. Easy to use basic remote, great for navigating Netflex & amazon menus. Sign up for Sling TV and get it free.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I recently got the Roku 3 for free for signing up for Charter Spectrum Streaming @ $20/mo. Cancel before the month and they'll return the $20 and lets you keep the Roku 3.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a few Rokus, an Apple TV (last gen, no apps), two firetvs, and a Sony smart BDP. Of everything, I will say that I like my Roku 3s the best. Very open with different services, very fast, and at this point they are almost comically cheap. I'd recommend that route unless you need 4K streaming.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
OK. I'll be the stick in the mud. ;)

I have a Roku2XS, A fireTV 1st gen, fireTV stick 1st gen, fireTV stick 2nd gen, 2 Sony BDP/streaming and I have a fireTV 2nd gen gaming edition to be delivered Tuesday.

Personally, as you can see, I recommend the fireTV. I like it way better than the Roku. And is why it is my primary streamer. The 1st gen stick is laggy, but only when navigating the main screen and apps. Functionally, playing the movie/tv show, zero lag. Now, the fireTV 1st gen, that thing smokes everything else. Prime movies start in under 10 seconds. Netflix is no dog either. The only complaint I have, is some apps are limited. The only app I care about that isn't on the fireTV is VUDU, and only because my UV movies are on it. However, the Sony BDP is updated, gets Vudu and isn't fast, but isn't slow either. I may use the VUDU app once a month if that, so as you can see, that missing app really doesn't matter...much.

The Roku has been delegated to the MBR. It's OK. Thing needs a re-boot more often than not for me, my wife says she doesn't have that problem. But it does have everything I want and then some. But being realistic, any app I want on the ROKU, I can get on my fireTV, sans VUDU.

The 2nd gen fireTV stick is in my office. It is almost as fast as the fireTV in the LR. Heck of an improvement over the 1st gen stick.

Now, with the new fireTV 2nd gen being delivered, the ROKU is going on eBay next week.

I know the OP decided on ROKU, and there's nothing wrong with that. But I still wanted to contribute my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
^^^ Yep, had the Roku 2 XS and gave it away after getting the Roku 3 which has a CPU which is 5 times faster. I had basically written off Roku but the 3 made me a believer again.

With 500+ movies on VUDU I needed something reliable and fast and the Roku 3 filled the bill. I've heard good and bad things about the Roku 4 but since I have no need for 4K at the moment haven't bothered to upgrade. Also had the Fire Stick 1st generation (bought cheap at introduction), thought it was OK and gave it to my daughter to use. I have Amazon Prime but use it infrequently, their original programming doesn't interest me with the exception of Bosch. The Apple TV 3 is a very dependable streamer but generally only use it for HBO Now and Netflix. When I'm feeling lazy I use my Tivo Roamio to go from watching OTA broadcasts and switch over to its streaming apps which are actually pretty good.

Fortunately my wife puts up with my switching and puttering around with my equipment.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts