AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused about what speaker (center, bookshelf, floorstander) is best suited to the role of center speaker. I always figured it was a center speaker from the manufacturer, but someone noted in another thread that there was enough room for three identical floorstander fronts. Is it better to have three identical speakers in front?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well there's a multitude of reasons why pretty much all high end 2 channel audio systems utilize speakers that have a "vertical" design. Problem is, most average households don't want a tower speaker in front of their tv, there simply is no room for it. Therefore center channel speakers were developed so you can stick them right below or underneath your tv without it looking horrible. If you can fit 3 towers (or 3 bookshelf speakers) across the front, go for it. If you have a layout that makes a horizontal speaker more desirable, buy it and don't look back (IMO you'll never have any issues with it).

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
Having 3 identical speakers across the front is best. But they can be any kind of speaker; tall floorstanding, bookshelf, or wall mount.

The people who end up with the best result are those that have a screen hanging from the ceiling, or mounted out from the wall, with the LCRs mounted on the wall behind the screen.

I have the next best with 24" tall LCRs across the front of a rear projection with the L/R at the sides, moounted on top of subs and the center below the screen.

So to go with identical speakers across the front just requires finding the right size speakers to fit your needs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/14190383

Having 3 identical speakers across the front is best. But they can be any kind of speaker; tall floorstanding, bookshelf, or wall mount.

The people who end up with the best result are those that have a screen hanging from the ceiling, or mounted out from the wall, with the LCRs mounted on the wall behind the screen.

I have the next best with 24" tall LCRs across the front of a rear projection with the L/R at the sides, moounted on top of subs and the center below the screen.

So to go with identical speakers across the front just requires finding the right size speakers to fit your needs.

So I've also read that for movies, the center channel is responsible for most of the dialogue and is the most important channel by far. Does it matter if the center is identical to the L/R and can't physically play different frequencies or anything? I see some centers that incorporate mid drivers (as opposed to just 2-way tweeter/woofer combo) and I always thought this was because a center speaker needed more midrange, but now you guys are saying it's best if the front three channels are identical. I've heard this many times before as well, just trying to figure out why.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwar3 /forum/post/14190446

So I've also read that for movies, the center channel is responsible for most of the dialogue and is the most important channel by far. Does it matter if the center is identical to the L/R and can't physically play different frequencies or anything? I see some centers that incorporate mid drivers (as opposed to just 2-way tweeter/woofer combo) and I always thought this was because a center speaker needed more midrange, but now you guys are saying it's best if the front three channels are identical. I've heard this many times before as well, just trying to figure out why.

The main reason to use 3 identical speakers across the front is "timber matching". When sounds "pan" or move across the front soundstage, you don't want their timber to change appreciably when they move from one speaker to the next. Therefore, three identical speakers will give the best chance for that to happen. It is also important to mount them at the same height, to ensure that they image the same.

The front speakers can be bookshelf's or floorstanders, but if you're using a subwoofer and bass management anyway, bookshelf's make more financial sense.

You may want to avoid a horizontally oriented, two-way center channel because they can, depending on the design, exhibit a problem called lobing, explained here:
http://www.audioholics.com/education...peaker-designs

Craig

1 - 5 of 5 Posts