Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm upgrading my theater room, and have thus acquired a Vidikron VPF40HD to use as my video source... (bye bye to the ol' Barco DATA-PC that sounded like a helicopter taking off!). Tonight I finally got it up and mounted. When I turned it on and began to run through the setup, I had two things that alarmed me...

1. The picture (I'm using the internal setup grid generator at this point) "jumps" up and down, randomly. On my 90" screen with a throw distance of about 10', the "jump" is about an inch or so.

2. After about 2 minutes of being powered up, I start to get a rolling black bar.. (about 3" high on the aforementioned screen). It starts at the bottom and slowly rolls to the top, then starts over again at the bottom.

Any ideas? I've checked my manual but don't see anything readily apparent...

Thanks in advance!

-Brian Bowman

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I just emailed you a minute ago..

The bouncing is normal with no input, and see if the black bar doesn't go away also.

Troy

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same rolling black bar problem on my CRT. Mine was barely visible but it was annoying. All I did was change the outlet it was plugged into. I had all my source components in one outlet and the projector in a different one. I guess it was a grounding problem. Once they were all on the same outlet everything was fine.

Jazz

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I think the rolling black bar is often referred to as a "hum bar":

http://www.svconline.com/ar/avinstall_losing_hum_bar/

THE HUM BAR, ACCORDING TO THE ACADEMIC PRESS Dictionary of Science and Technology, is “a dark, horizontal bar in a television picture caused by hum interference in the video signal.†The hum is invariably due to coupling from the AC power line and, for standard NTSC video displays, its signature is a disturbance that slowly climbs upward......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.