·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludapower /forum/post/0

That's some nice work
What program are you using?

Thanks, although im sure my skillset doesnt do the program justice. Im using crayola's compared to some of the other stuff I see on this forum.
I have figured it out just enough to give me a basic idea of how things might look. Its called Sketchup. They have a 30 day eval on their website. Check it out, its pretty cool.

If anyone has any idea of how to import real colors and textures into it, please let me know. It came with a few basic materials to use.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Combo work for me too!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ronnie,

I still like the standard look, but with the same size curved screen wall. if you compare both the pics, in the latest sketch the slightly larger screen wall just dominates too much. I still like the propostion of the standard look better IMHO. No matter which one you pick, they are all awesome.

regards

Jay

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayken /forum/post/0

Ronnie,

I still like the standard look, but with the same size curved screen wall. if you compare both the pics, in the latest sketch the slightly larger screen wall just dominates too much. I still like the propostion of the standard look better IMHO. No matter which one you pick, they are all awesome.

regards

Jay

Jaken, I see what you mean. I take it you mean speaker columns instead of screen wall. The screen wall is the same size in all the sketches.

It does sort of de-emphasize the screen with the wider columns.

Let me play with it some more. I will make them the same width, but curved. Also bring them out towards the front a little.

Be back shortly.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok, lets try these. I made the columns a little narrower and moved them forward 3 inches. I also rotated them about 10 degrees to match the steps a little better. What do you guys think about this? That leaves tons of room behind them for bass traps and speakers.

Variation 4

Variation 4 side view

Ronnie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

Yes I meant speaker columns not screen wall, sorry. The latest one is about as perfect as one can get. Now stop wasting your time , and get them building. We wanna see some pics of the real thing soon.

happy building

Jay

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry Jaken. Dont mean to hold up progress

Let me throw you a cookie to tide you over until this weekend when I will have some time to do the real work. I did a quick mockup of one side to get a feel for how it looked in the room. Im thinking I should go about 6 inches wider on the columns. It extends 28 inches from the side wall in this pic. Maybe 34-36 might look better? Its also hard to get the feel of the curve in the pic without some trim or something to set it off.

Dont laugh at the mockup material (trash bag and an old blanket). You gotta do what you gotta do.

Ronnie

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

I like your sketches and your progress so far. The stage looks realy good.

This is just a thought, but you could make the curtains slightly curved also. Adds to the depth of the stage, i think...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Progress looks good so far! I am just a lurker in everyone's threads as I complile ideas for a new house a few years from now.

My thoughts on your "variation 4" with the narrow columns. I personally like the other look better. I think you should try to get the distance from the screen to the ceiling/floor, and the screen to the columns as equal as possible. I think if you had a nice equal distance/border around the screen it will help frame it better. It's hard to tell from the drawings, but maybe shoot for about 1' all the way around the screen to acheive the look I am talking about.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Of course my vote would be for curtains w/ flat or curved speaker panels. The proportions shown in your mock up look good. Your project is coming along very nice. BTW..someone mentioned that the curtains would probably be expensive...my wife did mine along w/ the swags (using a sewing meaching to treat the edges and stapling the cloth to a mounting board) for ~120...only took a few hours. Operable curtains would almost certainly cost more.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
After a few mockups, I decided on the following setup for the columns. Stage columns will be curved to match the soffit and steps. Outside edges will be 36 inches away from back wall. Inside edge will be 31 inches away from back wall. the inside edge will be 17" from the screen wall. That should allow plenty of room to get speakers behind it without making the screens removable. The columns will extend 36 inches towards center of stage from side walls. That should allow 12-16" of curtain material.

Thanks for all the input. Here is the final Sketchup.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
After finally deciding on the exact layout, I did some work today. I built the stage speaker columns and painted them black. In order to keep the screen material rounded to match the soffit and steps, I cut 1/4 slats of plywood and placed them every 2 feet. Im hoping this will give the GOM a nice rounded look. The top and bottom peices were cut out of a 2x12 using a jigsaw. What a pain. I used 2x3's for the side studs.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Hi Ronnie,

What materials are those black? Is it a wood? If not, what was the reason for choosing that? I'm also in the planning stage and trying to learn so I can do mine properly.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/0

Hi Ronnie,

What materials are those black? Is it a wood? If not, what was the reason for choosing that? I'm also in the planning stage and trying to learn so I can do mine properly.

Its 2x4's painted black. They will eventually be covered with fabric and the black paint will keep the wood from showing through the fabric.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
On your center, why is there a space(top and bottom) on 2x4 painted black wood? Is that space for your center speaker? And on the wood paneling that stretches from wall to wall, is it a veneer? Where did you buy it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ronnie, It's looking great. Where in the theater will you be locating your sub(s)?

I noticed that you have some space open behind your soffit...will this be closed in w/ drywal or do you have plans for this space (like a curtain rod or concealed lighting)?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/0

On your center, why is there a space(top and bottom) on 2x4 painted black wood? Is that space for your center speaker? And on the wood paneling that stretches from wall to wall, is it a veneer? Where did you buy it?

Yes, that space is for the center channel speakers. It gives me the option of putting them above or below the screen.

The wood is 1/4 oak plywood. It was wrapped around the frame and stained.

My website has a lot of the details. The link is below.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmbruster /forum/post/0

Ronnie, It's looking great. Where in the theater will you be locating your sub(s)?

I noticed that you have some space open behind your soffit...will this be closed in w/ drywal or do you have plans for this space (like a curtain rod or concealed lighting)?

Chris, Most likely I will be placing them behind the left and right columns.

The space you see behind the soffit will get finished out. I have a couple of ideas. Im thinking about finishing it out with black material. Starting at the front edge of the soffit, I would bring the material towards the back about 12-14 inches. The plan is also to put in 3" can lights. It should look similar to the final Sketchup a few posts back.

I also thought about doing hidden lighting as you mentioned. Maybe putting the lights about 3-4 inches up into the area behind the soffit. I just need to figure out how I would dress that out to make it look good.

Either way, the curtains and swags will tie directly into the back of the items above. I will have some space above and behind the swags, similar to the issue above, but that should be ok. I dont think you would ever see it unless you were standing against the screen.

I hope all that makes sense. Hard to describe it.

Ronnie

21 - 40 of 1214 Posts