AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1214 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
107 Posts
Looks Good Ronnie. Keep up the good work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,639 Posts
Ronnie,


I like the shape and how easy it is to "see" what it will look like once done. Keep those pics coming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thanks guys. I wish I had more time to devote to the build. Seems like weekends are about the only time I can really do anything constructive.


Im going to try to work on the can lighting for the stage this week.


Does anyone know where I can find a couple of very low profile can lights or similar? I need 2 lights that will go above the steps in the soffit to light up the steps and front speaker screens. The issue I have is the existing soffit on the sides. It extends 2 feet out and its preventing me from centering a normal can light. I need a lamp that is 4" or less tall. That would allow me to mount it under the existing soffit, but flush with the new front soffit. I dont really want to cut a hole in the existing sheetrock. If I could just find some very low profile lights, that would work. The rest of the stage lights will be 3" 50watt halogen can lights.


Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
anyone have any suggestion for my lights above the speaker screens on the left and right of the stage? I would like to keep the look of the can lights i will be placing across the front if possible. My issue is that I need some that have a low profile. 4" or less for the sides. Does that product exist?


Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,639 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
107 Posts
You may also come to the Big D and look at Expo off of 635 and the tollway north of the Galleria. I think they also have a website: http://www.expo.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/0


anyone have any suggestion for my lights above the speaker screens on the left and right of the stage? I would like to keep the look of the can lights i will be placing across the front if possible. My issue is that I need some that have a low profile. 4" or less for the sides. Does that product exist?


Ronnie

When I did my lighting in my theater I needed low profile lights to recess in my 5" light trays. I found a spot locally that stocks a whole bunch of low profile line voltage can lights. Try to stay away from low voltage lighting.


Here is one example, this place is not to far from me as well. I buy veneer from them...
http://216.105.59.114/index.asp?Page...OD&ProdID=1013


These come in Chrome, silver and black as well. Plus if you check their site, they have other styles like that. Plus they are all 120v Allot of people are always looking for these.


Ruben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX /forum/post/0


Try to stay away from low voltage lighting.

I'm also preparing things for my future home theater room. However, I would like to know what's wrong with low voltage lighting. I'm not really inclined to this things. If I got attracted to how the light looks like, I will buy it. But I would like to make this home theater as correct as possible.



Thanks,


Neil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty /forum/post/0


I'm also preparing things for my future home theater room. However, I would like to know what's wrong with low voltage lighting. I'm not really inclined to this things. If I got attracted to how the light looks like, I will buy it. But I would like to make this home theater as correct as possible.



Thanks,


Neil

Low Voltage has the tendency to Hum.


Ruben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX /forum/post/0


When I did my lighting in my theater I needed low profile lights to recess in my 5" light trays. I found a spot locally that stocks a whole bunch of low profile line voltage can lights. Try to stay away from low voltage lighting.


Here is one example, this place is not to far from me as well. I buy veneer from them...
http://216.105.59.114/index.asp?Page...OD&ProdID=1013


These come in Chrome, silver and black as well. Plus if you check their site, they have other styles like that. Plus they are all 120v Allot of people are always looking for these.


Ruben


Perfect Sandman. I knew they were out there somewhere. I found some locally that were 5" tall and will work for most of my needs, but had a little trouble finding any that were 4" or less. Looks like thats a good source. I will check out a few larger specialty lighting stores in my area.


I agree on 12v. I would like to stay with line voltage. Makes everything easier. Using a GRX-3106 to run everything.


Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by YldeSyde /forum/post/0


You may also come to the Big D and look at Expo off of 635 and the tollway north of the Galleria. I think they also have a website: http://www.expo.com/


Funny you mention that. I was going to stop by there this evening on my way home from work to check out some GOM samples. I hear they have them over there. I will check out the lighting also. Thats a cool place to look around anyway.


Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/0


After a few mockups, I decided on the following setup for the columns. Stage columns will be curved to match the soffit and steps. Outside edges will be 36 inches away from back wall. Inside edge will be 31 inches away from back wall. the inside edge will be 17" from the screen wall. That should allow plenty of room to get speakers behind it without making the screens removable. The columns will extend 36 inches towards center of stage from side walls. That should allow 12-16" of curtain material.


Thanks for all the input. Here is the final Sketchup.




Ronnie

This is gonna sound funny, but I just noticed your Prosceniums look like my other Martin Logan CLS's


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandmanX /forum/post/0


This is gonna sound funny, but I just noticed your Prosceniums look like my other Martin Logan CLS's

Since I cant afford the real Martin Logans, I thought I would create the next best thing........ Replica's


I can always tell the uninformed they are real




What a coincidence you bring this up, because I just got done listening so some Martin Logans about an hour ago at "Tweeter". Very nice.


Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I picked up some supplies today.


Linacoustics RC

Commando Cloth

Speaker Fabric


This should allow me to provide you guys with some more progress pics this weekend on the proscenium.




Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram /forum/post/0


Were you able to find GOM swatches at Expo??

No. They have 5 billion other fabric products, but the lady I was dealing with had never heard of it. I wil probably just order the samples.


Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Today I finished up the Linacoustic behind the stage. I plan on working on the can lighting, Speaker fabric covers and Commando for screen wall tomorrow.







Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/0


Today I finished up the Linacoustic behind the stage. I plan on working on the can lighting, Speaker fabric covers and Commando for screen wall tomorrow.







Ronnie

Looking awesome Ronnie! Your moving at warp Speed over there. Keep the good work up. The screen wall was the last phase in my build so I was so looking forward to it going up in the end. I still need to get my Prosceniums in, but I am waiting on carpet first.


Looking Sweet!


Ruben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks Ruben. Hopefully it will turn out at least 1/2 as nice as your project. I still feel like I cant see the end of the tunnel



Ronnie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I wasnt able to get as much done as I had planned this weekend. I had some company over and I also spent most of today cleaning up the room. Its amazing how much waste you build up.


I did finish up the Linacoustic as you saw above. I also finished putting the grille cloth on the front two proscenium columns. The curves turned out nice and clean. You can barely see the framework for them under direct flash photography, but under regular room lighting, they look nice and smooth. Im pretty satisfied with the way they turned out.


With all the black material and insulation, its getting harder to take good clear pics.



Right Side Column
Left Side Column



Side Profile of the Curvature



Ronnie
 
41 - 60 of 1214 Posts
Top