AVS Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1214 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Thanks Ronnie, looks very neat. I knew we were trying to figure out the best way to trim the fabric, though to be honest, I can't remember how we did it after all this time lolol. I appreciate the detail.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #802
The front panesl have inside corners and these were done a little differently. Here are a few shots of those.

Im guessing this inside corner is about 120 degrees. I had to cut a slit in the fabric to about 1/4" from the front edge. If you look closely, you will see a few staples holding it tight on the edge. This edge sits flush with the trim, so no worries about seeing the cut.

The other inside corner didnt have much angle to it, so I didnt need to cut the fabric into it as much. I just barely cut it on the back edge in order to get it to sit flush. You have to look hard to see the cut.

Here is what it looks like from the front on edge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For you equipment "cover"...How about using some of the speaker grill fasteners that are plastic, with a ball and socket setup. Place a half dozen or so around the parimeter...

For the Rebel XT, not sure you can, frankly I don't use lanscape/portrait, etc. setting. I mostly use Av or Tv or manual. Not sure you can turn these off other than using the flash selection from the dial (looks like the lighning bolt). Using Av, Tv, or M the flash should not auto popup since your controling the exposure.

Sorry for the delayed response. I shoud check the forum more often...

ht

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/0

Isnt that the truth! So far, I love this thing. I have not had a lot of time to play with it yet though. The battery grip is also a must have if you dont already have one. It gives the camera a much better feel, not to mention the extended shooting due to the extra battery capacity.

I do have a quick question for you though. How do you turn off the flash in the creative modes when it wants to keep popping it up? I was trying to take some fully manual shots the other evening (nightscapes) and had the exposure set like I wanted, but the camera kept thinking for me and turning on the flash. Sometimes I would meter and focus, it would pop up and I would have to push it back down while maintaing focus. Surely this isnt the only way to do that.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #804
Thanks BearHawk260. I think I have the EOS figured out now. This thing is awsome.

For the equipment door panel, I purchased a piano hinge and a few other things this weekend. Im going to try and make it look like a single panel, but the left side will pivot open on the piano hinge. I think I have it figured out now.

I appreciate all the ideas from everyone.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
FYI, I wont be able to get anything accomplished today or this week on the HT. I have to fly out to Colorado Springs, Co today. I will be there for a week working with HP (Hewlett Packard) in their storage labs for some things we are testing at the office.

I plan on getting the hinged frame and the last side wall frame done next weekend when I return. That will leave only the back wall to be done. I think I might wait a little while on the back wall until I purchase my speakers. I would like to integrate them into the design and have the fabric panels mold seamlessly around them. But then again, maybe I will just leave some additional room in case I swap to a different size speaker in the future.

I also ordered my GRX-3106 lighting controller today. Maybe I can start installing that next weekend also.

If I dont have a chance to check in on the forums, you guys have a good week.

Ronnie

·
Registered
404 Posts
Colorado Springs is a fantastic place to visit. I've visited the HP (formerly Compaq, before that Digital) facilities many times to work with their analysts on my customer's software systems housed there.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #807

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorlonFog /forum/post/0

Colorado Springs is a fantastic place to visit. I've visited the HP (formerly Compaq, before that Digital) facilities many times to work with their analysts on my customer's software systems housed there.

I agree. I have been there several times myself. I wished it was November though, that way I could squeeze in a weekend of skiing on each side.

Ronnie

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ronnie,

Just catching up with your thread. Looking fantastic. Keep it up!

I am also hiding my rack with fabric frames. I will post how I do it, but I'm keeping it simple. I am installing a 20 inch door in a 2x4 framed wall in front of the rack and will attach the panels directly to the door. The door has no door knob. It should hold in place with the weather stripping and some velcro. Also the frames will go past the door on the non-hinged side and have the wall as a stop. I'll post pics as soon as I have them.

Gary

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Looking incredible Ronnie!

Your not going to believe this, my new Rebel XT died on me. I don't know what happened but one morning I woke up and went to take some pictures with a flash then the camera started popping really loud inside and gave me an Error 99 and smelt like minced garlic. When not using the flash it worked fine, but the flash made the camera act up. So I sent it into Canon for repair and I haven't heard anything back for 2 weeks. I hope they give me a new one because I can't stand using faulty repaired stuff.

Ruben

·
Registered
3,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/0

I purchased the carpet at a local carpet store, but you can get it almost anywhere. I had 4 local places give me estimates and all of them carried it. Everyone orders their carpets from Georgia anyway.

Brand = Mohawk/Alladin

Style = Op-art

Color = Stained Glass

Ronnie

I really liked the look and wanted to get the one with the red but a bit pricey for me right now.

Looking at carpet sucks especially when you want black in it or dark colors.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Ronnie,

Looks awesome! Couple of questions (that are probably answered already).

How are you attaching your panels to the walls/soffits? Why do you use the foil at the bottom part of the panel (is it for acoustical reasons or just to decrease the linacoustic consumption of the world)? Thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgonzomd /forum/post/0

Ronnie,

Looks awesome! Couple of questions (that are probably answered already).

How are you attaching your panels to the walls/soffits? Why do you use the foil at the bottom part of the panel (is it for acoustical reasons or just to decrease the linacoustic consumption of the world)? Thanks

Thanks Mbgonzomd.

On the first wall panel, I used industrial strength velcro. It works well, but it extended my panels about 1/8 inch further from the wall. Since I wanted the panels and trim to be exactly flush, I didnt like this (my trim was already finished). So for the rest of the panels I just tacked them in place with a few 2" brad nails through the frame, drywall, and into the studs. Since I measured all my frames for a tight fit, they pretty much stayed in place with friction fitting anyway. The frames are 1", sheetrock is 5/8", so the brads only go into the studs about 1/2" You can easily work them out if you needed to.

The sofit panels are done the same way.

The 18" of foil scrim you see is bonded to the 4' piece of linacoustic using spray adhesive. Its only on the bottom 18" of the wall. The linacoustic will still suck up the broadband bass (even with the foil on top) frequencies, but the foil will provide some reflection for the higher frequencies. BPape analyzed my room acoustics and this was the suggested plan for my rooms overal response characteristics. If your serious about the sound of your room, I would suggest talking with Brian.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VorlonFog /forum/post/0

Hope your trip was a productive and beneficial one...

Thanks Keith, It was great as usual. Those guys are extremely sharp. We got the added benefit of touring the SNIA labs while we were out there also. Cool stuff.

Im ready to get back to work on the HT and the rest of those frames, but I just cant bring myself to start working in the 120 degree garage cutting wood and gluing frames together.
Texas weather sucks.

Ronnie

·
Registered
44 Posts
You know Ronnie...if you are free in about 2 months Rockwall isn't too far from San Antonio...and we sure could use some help...We'll pay you in pizza and beer

Your theater looks awesome and has given my husband and I several ideas on how we want to do our theater...Where did you get that fabric for your panels? I have samples of GOM fabric...but none that have designs on it like yours does.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #819

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferSmith23 /forum/post/0

You know Ronnie...if you are free in about 2 months Rockwall isn't too far from San Antonio...and we sure could use some help...We'll pay you in pizza and beer

Your theater looks awesome and has given my husband and I several ideas on how we want to do our theater...Where did you get that fabric for your panels? I have samples of GOM fabric...but none that have designs on it like yours does.

Make it pizza, beer and accomodations and you have a deal.

Thanks for the comments. Eddie is correct. Its the Network style. The color is sapphire. You can browse all the fabrics and get samples from them. Use THIS link to get you to the sample center. Then do a search from the left side menu. You can pick your styles easily.

I purchased my GOM through FabricMate. Great people.

Ronnie

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ronnie,

Which can lights did you end up going with....I need to make a decision on this and have no idea about this kind of stuff. I need to build the MDF boxs for them since I just got my RSIC clips for the ceiling from Bpape and would liek to try to get to drywalling before I head back to work in a few weeks.

Thanks

Robert

801 - 820 of 1214 Posts