AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1214 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,181

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj /forum/post/16004664

Sweet rig, Ronnie. Though if it were my case, I'd attach the stealth panels to the optical drives (much better looking than all the logos, etc)..

MILTIMJ, this one is just for you
. I attached the stealth drive bay panels.

It looks like this now:

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/16106148

I pickep up a Logitech Dinovo Mini keyboard over the weekend for the HTPC. Wow, what a cool little addition to the HTPC and theater room. It fits in the palm of your hand, is backlit, and has mouse controls. It can also be operated in Media mode for WMC or standard mode. Its not something you would want to do a lot of typing on because of the small size, but its perfect for the HTPC. Reminds me of an oversized BlackBerry keyboard. It was highly recommended on the forums and seems to be well worth the money.

You can check out the details HERE .

Ronnie - very cool! I might have to give one of those a try. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Nice.

I've never seen that keyboard before, either - very cool, and I can definitely how it'd be useful for an HTPC, as you said.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Are you getting good range out of the new keyboard Ronnie? I have the Wireless Desktop 8000 from Microsoft and I am not really impressed with its range. When I am about 25 feet away, the keyboard still works well, but mouse movement is very erratic.

Shan

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,186

Slightly OT, but I think it can turn on a PS3 as well can't it?? Vaguely remember reading that.

Yes, the Dinovo Mini can be operated in PS3 mode. There is a switch inside the back battery compartment that allows it to change from PC to PS3 mode.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan /forum/post/16126285

Are you getting good range out of the new keyboard Ronnie? I have the Wireless Desktop 8000 from Microsoft and I am not really impressed with its range. When I am about 25 feet away, the keyboard still works well, but mouse movement is very erratic.

Shan

My theater room is 16'x20' and the HTPC is on the left side of the room about 4 feet from the back wall. I have no issues at all using it anywhere within the theater room. It uses blue-tooth 2.0 technology and the box rates its range at 33 feet. My maximum seating distance from the HTPC is probably 13feet. My favorite seat is about 8 feet from the HTPC, so it works great in my environment.

I am in the process of dressing up the equipment rack with wire management and installing the drawer with equipment light. Currently all my wiring is disconnected. I should be done in a few days and I will try to see what the max distance I can achieve on the Dinovo Mini would be for me. I will report back to you.

Im thinking that you could probably plug the BT receiver into a USB extension cable and move the receiver to a more centraly located position that would give you better coverage if you need slightly more range. Just a thought.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj /forum/post/16117446

Nice.

I've never seen that keyboard before, either - very cool, and I can definitely how it'd be useful for an HTPC, as you said.

Ya, me neither. I ran acros it doing a search in the HTPC forum section for "Keyboard". There are several good threads on HTPC style keyboards. The Dinovo Mini was highly recommended in almost every thread I read.

The coolest full size keyboard is the Dinovo Edge . I would have purchased that, but I wanted something small that could easily be stored. Plus the little thing has such a cool factor. I figure if I really need to do some serious typing, i can always plug in a USB keyboard to the front panel of the HTPC.

Ronnie

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Speaking of "easily stored", do you have somewhere that you can put all of the "input devices". Maybe that's your only "universal" remote, or maybe the Dinovo and a separate universal remote, but there could also be console controllers, etc.. Do you have some kind of closed up box or somewhere that you put them out of sight?

·
Registered
671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie_jackson /forum/post/16128284

My theater room is 16'x20' and the HTPC is on the left side of the room about 4 feet from the back wall. I have no issues at all using it anywhere within the theater room. It uses blue-tooth 2.0 technology and the box rates its range at 33 feet. My maximum seating distance from the HTPC is probably 13feet. My favorite seat is about 8 feet from the HTPC, so it works great in my environment.

I am in the process of dressing up the equipment rack with wire management and installing the drawer with equipment light. Currently all my wiring is disconnected. I should be done in a few days and I will try to see what the max distance I can achieve on the Dinovo Mini would be for me. I will report back to you.

Im thinking that you could probably plug the BT receiver into a USB extension cable and move the receiver to a more centraly located position that would give you better coverage if you need slightly more range. Just a thought.

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie. I did some more research last night and decided I had to have one. I should get it from Amazon tomorrow. I'll probably buy a second one for my MCE box in my MBR if it works out well. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for pointing me to it!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,191

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj /forum/post/16128589

Speaking of "easily stored", do you have somewhere that you can put all of the "input devices". Maybe that's your only "universal" remote, or maybe the Dinovo and a separate universal remote, but there could also be console controllers, etc.. Do you have some kind of closed up box or somewhere that you put them out of sight?

Tim, I use a Harmony 880 to do just about everything. The Dinovo Mini will come into play when I need additional keyboard input and to do things the Harmony will not do.

I dont have any gaming consoles, etc in the theater room at this time, but they could easily be stored in the drawer. I could have made the drawer even larger if I wanted to house additional things. At this point, i will use it to store all the dedictated remotes that come with each piece of equipment, some often used manuals, and anthing that i frequently might need, but want put away. The drawer was kind of an afterthought as I was mainly interested in a way to have a pull out light to illuminate the front of my equipment rack.

Also, I have a 2 drawer legal file cabinet in my equipment room that I keep a ton of theater, network, audio and video related things in. But i have to go out of the HT to access that stuff, so it only stores the extras such as wiring, manuals, adapters, etc.

I am almost done with the drawer/light. Waiting on some paint to dry and then I will mount the lighting and install it into the rack. Pictures to follow.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan /forum/post/16128840

Thanks Ronnie. I did some more research last night and decided I had to have one. I should get it from Amazon tomorrow. I'll probably buy a second one for my MCE box in my MBR if it works out well. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for pointing me to it!!

Cool, I have no doubt you will enjoy it. From my experience so far, its sweet. The backlighting is a huge plus for me. But again, not something you would want to do a ton of typing on.

Please let me know what you think when you put it to use.

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,193
I had toyed with the idea of integrating a pushbutton switch that would turn on the equipment light when the drawer was extended and off when closed, but found a simpler solution.

A "Touch and Glow" touch pad dimmer. I picked this up at Lowes for $10. Its the MODEL T-409 with a silver touchpad. You simply plug it into the wall and plug the lighting into the dimmer. The actual touch pad part of it has a 10' lead on it, so it can be placed appropriately in the rack. Depending on how it looks, I may mount it on the drawer face. 1 short touch and it comes on, 1 short touch and it goes off. To dim, hold you finger on it longer. It also remembers the level it was previously at, so a simple short touch turns it on to the saved setting.

Touch and Glow T-409

Ronnie

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj /forum/post/16136918

Since this was recently mentioned in your thread, I thought I'd share that I found a decent deal on the Dinovo Mini (and Edge) at Dell right now ($99), in case anyone else is interested.

Nice find Tim. I added it to the cart and they give you free regular shipping. Tax and all it would cost $108 to get it to Texas. A good deal.

I picked mine up at my local Fry's for $125 + tax. That was the cheapest I could find it a few weeks ago.

Ronnie

·
Registered
412 Posts
so what's everyone doing with a keyboard and mouse in their setup. Since I have had mine http pc build, all I have used is a microsoft remote to control everything. If I had to do work on it, I just plug in my wireless keyboard.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,197

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmenxmenxmen /forum/post/16139302

so what's everyone doing with a keyboard and mouse in their setup. Since I have had mine http pc build, all I have used is a microsoft remote to control everything. If I had to do work on it, I just plug in my wireless keyboard.

I have not used it long enough to find out yet. What I envision is that I to will use the Harmony remote for 90% of things. Once Media Center and its related functions are set up and stable, your remote pretty much covers everything without the use of a keyboard. I would imagine that the keyboard would only be used for things outside of media center. Perhaps browsing the web, making some config changes, downloading software updates, etc. I mainly bought it for those instances and the fact that I didnt want a full size keyboard lying around in the theater. Plus, the little thing is just to cool

Ronnie

·
Registered
671 Posts
Ronnie and I have the same plans. 90% Harmony but will use the KBD when needed. I have played around with it quite a bit tonight and I am impressed. I picked up typing on it very quickly (seems pretty natural) and the mouse works great, even at very close to 30 feet.

It had been a while since I came back and read this thread...I am glad I did.

Shan

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ronnie, Now that your HTPC is finished & you've got 1.5TB of storage, why don't you rip your CD's using FLAC. They will sound as good as the original CD, which you won't get with MP3 or an IPOD. You certainly have a great sound system that you should be able to hear the difference on. I don't have the money budgeted for an HTPC, so I bought the WD TV and hooked up an extra hard drive I had lying around. It works great for a budget system. Lots of Flacs, some MP3s & WMA's, a few movies, & lots of videos of the kids/family. Under $175 for my media server. When do I get an invite? I'll bring some cold brews!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,200
Hey Scott, glad to hear from a fellow North Texan
Your right up the road from me.

I dont actually listen to any music in my home theater. Its primary purpose is for watching movies. I have around 200 movies currently on the htpc in .vob format. My pc downstairs is what houses my MP3 collection for the 3 IPODS in my family, but I will probably move the collection to the HTPC just to have it all in one place and available for the media extenders.

As a side note, I have hooked up my ipod to the receiver using the dedicated ipod connection and played some music before just to test it and see what the on screen display looks like. With my old ears, I cant tell the difference between the IPod or the original CD, but thats just me

Ronnie

1181 - 1200 of 1214 Posts