AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen roofing felt used underneath stage framing (ie between the stage framing and floor) for members here when they have concrete basement floors.

I know you put roofing felt between plywood or OSB layers of a stage top to reduce squeeking noises, but what is the function for putting between the stage framing and the floor below it?

If I have ceramic tile underneath my stage framing, should I bother putting roofing felt under the stage framing if I have ceramic tile instead of concrete floors?

They sell roofing felt at home depot for $18.50 for a giant 250 sq ft roll and I only need about two pieces (1 piece @ 3' x 15' and another piece of 2' x 6'), so it would be a kind of waste to buy so much and let the rest go to waste, I think.

Can someone help me on what to do here?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,725 Posts
when building on concrete the felt isolates the wood from the concrete, required to minimize the transfer of moisture and source of wood rot.

With glazed tile that issue is reduced but you might want something to minimize rattles and let the wood sit a little more secure on the floor, I would use sill seal or some other resilient material just under the framing that touches the tile.

·
Registered
384 Posts
when building on concrete the felt isolates the wood from the concrete, required to minimize the transfer of moisture and source of wood rot.

With glazed tile that issue is reduced but you might want something to minimize rattles and let the wood sit a little more secure on the floor, I would use sill seal or some other resilient material just under the framing that touches the tile.

I'd buy a couple rolls of that regardless...I've found so many places to use it to prevent rattles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts