AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company is replacing the roof on one of the buildings and one of the materials they're replacing (and discarding) is the ~5 mm thick roofing rubber. It's in large sheets, good shape and I can get it for free.

I'm planning on building a basement home theater, ~24'x12'. 3 walls (1x 24' and 2x 12') are bare concrete. I need to construct the other wall and build a ceiling (bare floor joists now).

There's enough rubber to put at least 1" thick on all 6 sides :D

The trade-off is that I have to store it for a year (new construction = 1 year home warantee = no starting on HT until it expires).

Is it OK to use in internal construction, and if so, where's the right place to use it?

· Registered
2,114 Posts
oh, lord, that's alot of asphalt

1" of roof rubber bonded to drywall will probably be effective in these ways

1. raise the damping (although i don't know by how much, probably enough to make a good difference)

2. lower wave speed and resonant point

3. destroy the fire rating (?)

i'm guessing, but an inch of material like that would be a good thing for sound isolation.

that's almost a fun thing to think about on some random thursday mornin

· Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brian,

Thank you for the rapid response! I really wasn't proposing a full inch around the room - that was more of a statement of the volume available. I think 1 or 2 layers would be a practical limit. I was looking for opinions and usage ideas. Things like:

1) Foundation vapor barrier - attach directly to concrete walls and floor as a water barrier?

2) Acoustic treatment / isolation - a layer over the joists before the drywall/GG/drywall sandwitch

3) Air seal

4) Concrete floor cushining

· Registered
6,226 Posts
Just curious, wht must build wait foro warrantty to expire?

brickie

· Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm with Brickie,

I was wondering about that warranty. My house is also new and we're finishing our basement with no warranty issues. Maybe basements here are built differently. There are no support poles in our basement. They go ahead and frame the walls with 2x6 which bears all the load. Problem with that is you have to be OK with the room layout. Now, If we moved load bearing walls, that could be a problem.

· Registered
6,226 Posts
Jeff, you don't have any steel support poles or beams in basement at all? WOW! What kind of floor joists are they using to carry all the weight across from wall to wall.Or is this what you mean, there are no load bearing walls in middle of house?

brickie

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Brickie, all floor joists in this house are made from the silent floor joists. Our old house used 2x10 joists but was supported the same way. There are absolutely no support poles. The individual room walls in the basement were pre-framed in 2x6. The load bearing portion is made from stacked 2x6 under the joists and then a framed 2x6 or double 2x10 with a wall framed under it. I hope that makes sense, I'm obviously no engineer. That is the way most new houses around here are built. I'll try to get some digital photos and post them on my build page so that I don't hijack this thread.

· Registered
6,226 Posts
Cool..Will take a look when you post them.Got a very good idea what you mean now.

brickie

· Registered
45 Posts
If I were you I would call the builder and check on that home warranty. My wife and I just closed on our new house Monday (moving tomorrow!) and we have a 1 year builder's warranty. It basically covers everything that was in place at the time of closing. We are free to make any changes we want with no worries about voiding the warranty. So, check with your builder before you sit on your hands for a year!

· Registered
13 Posts
I am in almost the same situation. Building the HT in the basement with 2 of 4 walls being the poured concrete. As far as the two walls that are the concrete, I was told by the concrete guy to not seal them (waterproof them), just give the house adequate time to make sure you have no leaks in the new foundation. My house is new as well and I also do not face warranty concerns, double check on yours. My problem is that I have a floor support to deal with. Do I build the room smaller to avoid it (10' wide), or do I give myself the extra 4' of width and work around it? Any ideas out there?

· Registered
6,226 Posts
I would most definitely try to incorporat eit into the design.We're having a new house built as well,my width for the theater is going to be around 13 1/2 ft.And I really wish I could go a little wider.

brickie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.