AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a rookie obviously... any how. I have a home partially under construction and there are in-celing speakers everywhere. However I want to add in a few rooms. Bathroom is small, is it okay to just put one speaker in instead of a pair? If yes, does it matter what speaker you have. I have a few boxes laying around of monoprice 6.5 inch in-celing speakers (which are boxed as pairs) can I break those down to put one speaker in four small sized rooms? Thanks?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
You can run a single speaker. What you should not do is run from two amps to that single speaker.

You will likely want to come up with a way to convert what is presumably a stereo source to mono before piping it to the speaker.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Some receivers have a 'mono' setting that you could use. That way you would get all the sound from both the left and right channels, and thus you can connect the speaker to just the left (or right).

I didn't look at the particular speaker linked above, but I think there are some single speakers with both left and right terminals, which should give all the sound without having to use 'mono' mode.

The thing we are trying to help you avoid is missing some sound, like if a song has the guitar primarily in the left channel, and you only have a 'right' speaker in your bathroom -- you'd miss most of the guitar in that case, which would sound weird.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I just looked the speaker linked above -- that is exactly as I mentioned -- it has both left and right terminals. One tweeter for each channel, and probably dual, independent voice coils on the woofer for the low frequencies. That kind of speaker would be idle for your situation, and you won't have to mess with 'mono' mode at all. It will just work.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonhole /forum/post/0

I'm a rookie obviously... any how. I have a home partially under construction and there are in-celing speakers everywhere. However I want to add in a few rooms. Bathroom is small, is it okay to just put one speaker in instead of a pair? If yes, does it matter what speaker you have. I have a few boxes laying around of monoprice 6.5 inch in-celing speakers (which are boxed as pairs) can I break those down to put one speaker in four small sized rooms? Thanks?

All good advice. But now I'm going to give you the best advice of all. Go out and buy Sonos to listen to beautiful synchronized music throughout your home. BTW, You will thank me for this later

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.