AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I turned one of my home movie files into an .avi / h.264 format but now I can't watch the video on my PC. I've been told that I need the right codec and done. I looked in codec.com and videolan.org but that is too complicated for my level.

Help..........

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I just did. There were a lot of option during the installation process, I hope I did it right.

Here's the thing, all the files are using this Media Player Classic which looks very "old school", some files start buffering for ever before they play and then it only gets the first few minutes of a one hour long movie? Can these things be changed?

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/17011390

Thanks I just did. There were a lot of option during the installation process, I hope I did it right.

Here's the thing, all the files are using this Media Player Classic which looks very "old school", some files start buffering for ever before they play and then it only gets the first few minutes of a one hour long movie? Can these things be changed?

If you are using MPC for playback then you don't need codecs as with MPC and VideoLAN all the codecs are internal. What types of videos are you trying to play that you get a buffer, are the files on the same PC that you are trying to play or off a network drive?

·
Registered
508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Guy /forum/post/17011390

You need to change the file associations for the video files. Google for it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok.... this battle with the WD TV has not been easy for a person with minimal knowledge of video encoding BUT I think I found a happy medium;

Using Handbreak to change my (open DML) .AVI files into .Mkv / MPEG-4 (Xvid) files I can see them on my PC using DIVX PLUS Player (nice looking player) and I can also see them on my WD TV without loosing image quality. So for know I'll keep using that format and the WD TV that way I won't have to spend an extra $300 on a PC just to see our home movies on the HDTV.

Now to deal with Outlook or Explorer since now I'm getting this error message when I try to us any link within an e-mail, I suspect it was Google Chrome who changed something in there! Sorry, got off course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts