Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my first time to post in this forum. I am looking for some advice. I am about to build a media room in my attic and have a number of questions. All opinions or pointers to places where info is located are appreciated! Here’s the facts and questions –

1. My budget is approximately $1000. I expect this to cover a receiver, speakers, wireless media player, and cables. It would be nice if it also covered a DVD player. However, that is not required. I have an Xbox with the DVD remote.

2. Does anyone have experience with the D-Link MediaLounge Entertainment Network 802.11g Wireless Media Player Model: DSM-320. I have a Dell desktop with Windows XP Home. I would like to plug this into my receiver so I can play setlists off of my computer plus internet stations. I would like to hear if anyone has experience with doing this and any lessons learned. This will take about $200 out of my budget.

3. Based on reading some opinions on this forum. Looks like most of you think the way to go is to buy separate components vs. buying a home theater package. I have looked at an Onkyo package (I believe the model was an S780) that sounded pretty good (IMO). Any thoughts here?

4. My media room will probably be 15’ X 20’ or 15 X 25’. Any thoughts on brands and models of receivers and speakers? I have time to shop and buy as things go on sale. Any thoughts on 5.1 channels vs. 6.1 vs. 7.1?

5. Any pointers on acoustics in the room? I have heard there are lots of things out there I can do as far as various types of drywalls and paints. I haven’t really researched this.

6. Any pointers on cabling? I know Monster Cables are considered the best. However, I had an inexpensive home theater and couldn’t tell a difference between Monster Cables and AR cables (other than thickness of the cables). I have some of both that I plan on reusing. I will probably use Monster Cables from the speakers to the receivers.

7. Any thoughts on the receiver having THX?

Thanks in advance for feedback! :)

Mike

·
Registered
804 Posts
7. THX is an added bonus to me, its great to have but not necessary.

6. If you already bought Monster fine, but you do not need to buy anymore. Not to start a flame fest as that has been done numerous time, but any decently made inexpensive cable will serve exactly the same, AR is a good choice.

5. Acoustics is just as important as the equipment you buy, so designing and placement of your equipment is important, and also acoutic treatment should not be ignored either. There are several places to buy acoustic panels, diffusors, bass traps, however its very common place to simply just DIY.

4. It all depends on what you want, if this is a dedicated HT room 7.1 is just about a must. Shop around read reviews, the pioneer 1014/1015 is highly regard, most yamaha receivers are excellent, as well as denon.

3. Im generalizing here but most htibs are not worth the money, especially ones that have an integrated dvd player built-in. It is much more worthwhile to go seperate speakers and receiver, not only for better sound, but for upgradeability.

2. I dont know

1. Read reviews, do some auditions, and shop around.

·
Registered
804 Posts
....I guess this helped alot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! Thanks for the advice and info! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Just did get back into the forum.

Thanks!

Mike

:)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I am going to go out and buy the cheapest home system set up, but put it in a well treated room. I bet you heads will turn when the sound goes on. Not to say that equipment is not important, (God knows I love gear, just look at my Visa bill) but without a good room you will not get the sound out of your system properly.

Buy it or build it, but just do something.

Glenn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.