AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting bids from contractors to finish off my basement. I'll have an area of approx 23X25' of bar and HT room. I need to make some choices so as to have component demensions before contract work starts on things like custom cabinets. Here are the HT components I've been looking at for the last several wks. Again, I'm new to HT and am sure most here have forgotten more than I know about HT! (I do have a Paradigm high def lifestyle ll system in upstairs Family Rm with 32" SonyWega.)

My family will be using the system for 70% TV/movies and 30% Music.

Here are my choices so far:

TV: Hitachi 57" SWX20B

Receiver: 1st choice: Denon 3803, 2nd: Onkyo SR800, 3rd: HK AVR 525 ???

Speakers: Onyx Rockets HT pkg #1 (Fronts RS750's, Center RSC200, Side RS250's)

Sub? Any Suggestions...

I've never heard the Rockets, only know of what I've read over the last several wks. I like what I've seen written and the 30 day inhome trail. I know to each is own when it comes to sound and preference. I'd like feed back on my choices so far. Any constructive criticism and/or help would greatly be appreciated.

KurtMB

P.S. How high can the side surround speakers/bookshelf RS250's be placed in the listening area? Is mounted on a 9ft ceiling ok? Should they be built in the wall.? Can they be put in a wall? Would I be better with the RSS 300 side surrounds? Same questions apply to them.??

·
Registered
859 Posts
if you go with bookshelves for surrounds.. they gotta be mounted on stands man.. cause putting them close to a wall limits their breathing space.

oh .. and for the tv.. wait just a few more months.. you're gonna be able to get 3- 4000 usd level quality for merely 2000ish... cause rptvs are dropping in prices. thats atleast 1500 dollars saved in there!

for the rockets... people here rave about it. and your response will just get more of the same remarks. my only suggestion is that you go around a few local midfi dealears for a while. get a sense of what you want first. THEN order the Rockets to try out.

you gotta have something to benchmark on first if you wanna test them, right?

·
Banned
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GreatBop
for the rockets... people here rave about it. and your response will just get more of the same remarks. my only suggestion is that you go around a few local midfi dealears for a while. get a sense of what you want first. THEN order the Rockets to try out.

you gotta have something to benchmark on first if you wanna test them, right?

I second GreatBop's sentiment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.