AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am up with most technology especially on the TV and surround sound topics. Unfortunately this is my first time I am facing a projector and in ceiling surround sound setup. So that has led me to this forum.... I have read quite a few of the threads, but nothing has really jumped out at me. I have looked at the specs online of listed projectors and I don't know what to compare them to.

Here is what I am working with:

-Plenty of space.... large basement room with a TON of room for screen size. I would like to go as big as I can without making a sacrifice on quality. First priority would be quality, and second size.

-It is going to be in an open room where there will be a bar so there will be occasional lighting, but it can be completely dark as well. I guess maybe a projector that does well with some light would be best.

-My idea is to run through a ceiling mount... but I'm not opposed to other suggestions.

-I know the new move is 3D and was actually checking out the new Sharp today at a shop. I am not set on spending the extra money for the technology as I don't think the overall market is using the technology to a significant degree. Anyways, I am open to 2D and 3D ideas.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated... If I am forgetting to ask any questions or overlooking anything please let me know any aspects I am not considering. Like I said I am new to the projector scene. I worked through college as an electronic salesman 4 years ago, but as you know technology has changed so much since then and they did not have a focus on ANY projectors.

Also, I just wanted to add that the BenQ W6000 caught my eye on another post. Any thoughts for how this would work in the described room and if it would be the best pick what size screen would work the best with this projector.

·
Registered
17,931 Posts
Specific room size .. viewing habits .. dedicated vs multi purpose .. etc ..

"Plenty of space.... large basement room with a TON of room for screen size"

needs more detail ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brand2... Thanks for the link I will check that out.

MGKDRAGN-

The room is a multipurpose room... primary use will be surrounding the projector, but there will be a bar attached. Room size is roughly 24 by 30 feet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just depends on what you feel are the most important things to you. In that price range you will have to compromise on certain things like brightness, contrast, placement flexibility, zooming options, aspect ratio options, lamp life, warranties... etc. Then their are things you can't prepare yourself for unless you demo them (which is virtually impossible these days) such as whether or no you'll be sensative to the rainbow effect of DLP - some don't notice it at all (me) and some are extremely sensitive to it (my wife). If you dont see rainbows you're lucky and should probably buy a DLP because they have great value price for picture quality compared to LCD. LCD has great placement flexibility and a lot of times much better contrast, but won't tend to be as bright and punchy as DLP (your results may vary). I have read for hours on end about this projector vs that one and read about which attributes are lacking on this one or that. It can drive you mental after a while, but shopping around and aquiring the knowledge is fun for me!

·
Registered
JVC RS3100 | Benq HT9050 | MADVR w/ RTX 3080| 130in 2.35:1 | 5.2.2
5,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler6734 /forum/post/0

Brand2... Thanks for the link I will check that out.

MGKDRAGN-

The room is a multipurpose room... primary use will be surrounding the projector, but there will be a bar attached. Room size is roughly 24 by 30 feet.

Also, the price range will help. How big did you want to go

·
Registered
678 Posts
One of the major factors with going large with a DLP is the ceiling height, at least all of the lower cost units are fixed with no lens shift. The Benq W6000 does have lens shift although it doesn't have much range, lots of choices, but lots of decisions also need to be factored in. Here is a decent review http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...80p_review.htm of the stuff under $1500, keep in mind a refurb W6000 can sometimes be had for around $1500 (from the online BenQ shop store) and from the rumor mill sounds like it will be replaced this fall. I prefer the picture of DLP others prefer LCD, you can go into the various threads and read pro's and con's of each...Good Luck

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
MMmHmmm, CEDIA is just around the corner. If you want a bargain, I feel like the W6000 might even drop a bit lower after CEDIA if they do release a new version.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.