AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this old veteran of the DP wars has finally gotten a UTV to go along with the two DirecTivos that supply my home with FAR too much television!

If there's a FAQ somewhere on the differences between the two boxes, I'd sure like for someone to point me that way. Otherwise, please bear with me for a couple of questions...

1. The program guide...does it download from the bird just like the DP does, on a nightly basis? And if so, how far out does it go?

2. Will a DP remote control run this box and all its functions? Frankly, I don't think much of the RCA remote.

3. Why have I heard some assorted complaining here and other places about not getting any more software upgrades after the Microsoft "reorganization"? My gosh, the thing seems to work now, let's not futz with it!

TIA to all.

Mike Nassour

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
1. When your first get the box, its slows trickle the 14 day guide down to your box which gets updated every few days.

2. Yes, it will (same for keyboard)

Welcome aboard Mike, finally dumped Charlie, eh ;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I, too, was a former Dishplayer owner who made the leap to UTV. I own 2 UTVs and have talked several family members into buying them, and not one of us has experienced one single lockup. With the DP, it was getting to the point of feeling good if you didn't have a lockup for a couple of days. Well, I've had my UTVs for 6 months now, and have yet to have a single hiccup with either machine.

You'll find a comfort level with the feel of the software when you compare it to the DP. The latest version (3.5) adds some great features, but hopefully we'll see continued development.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by austinsho
Well, this old veteran of the DP wars has finally gotten a UTV to go along with the two DirecTivos that supply my home with FAR too much television! If there's a FAQ somewhere on the differences between the two boxes, I'd sure like for someone to point me that way.
Welcome to UTV Mike! I'm not sure if you are asking about a FAQ comparing DP to UTV, or comparing Tivo to UTV. If it is the later, here is a pretty comprehensive Tivo vs UltimateTV write-up. If I remember correctly, it is from our forum member Dr. Strange.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Corey - thanks for the info, but I'm still not too sure how the guide downloads...are you saying it's a continous thing, or does it come in chunks? I noticed this morning that

I found an old DP remote this morning and was immediately happy!

Oh, and actually, I left Charlie some time ago, when the DP problems became just TOO much to handle. The TiVos were nice, but I couldn't get one authorized on my Pegasus account for a reasonable price. But money aside, it looks like the new UTV software is quite nice in its own right, I just got the briefest glance at 3.5 this morning.

GlenW-since I've been TiVoing lately, the comfort level isn't that big a deal. I'm just glad that my other account now has a PVR, and the price was a huge bonus ($80 open box at Best Buy).

TexasJames-Yes, what I'm looking for is a list of differences in the DP software (whenever it settles down) versus UTV. But it looks like by playing with it for a few days that I'll mostly get it down.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome to UTV, or what I like to call the DishPlayer done right, Mike.

To answer your questions:

1. The program guide trickles in the downstream and can take a day or so (I think) to fully populate the 14 days it shows. No more interruptions at 3AM for the guide download.

2. The DP remote will work fine on the RCA UTV as long as you don't have the RCA set to use AUX (used if you have two RCA UTVs in the same room, which some of us do).

3. The UTV team is much smaller than it was in January. We've been assured that UTV is not an abandoned program and updates have and will continue to be provided.

Enjoy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.