AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used a scalar in the past because I had an anolog bigscreen and never was at that level on my video, but I just purchased a Hitachi XWX6520B as a result of discovering that neither the Mitsubishi Diamond nor the Pioneer Elite would play analog broadcasts worth a crud and there is just too much programming in that mode still. I was also very frustrated that neither would allow PIP split screen with either picture in digital. IN the end the larger Hitachi requires about 20 feet of distance for optimal viewing and I only have 14 by room limitations. The manual tells you 20 feet but nowhere in my town has one in HD in the larger size and the 1800 told me 12 feet, when the manual says 3.3 times the diagnal or 19.9 feet. I do notice that on PBS and a few other CBS broadcasts it looks pretty good, but with most there is no 3D effect which is the primary difference between really good 480p and 1080i as I have seen it.

In the past Hitachi's prior sets haven't worked very well with doublers/scalars, and the current model has a pretty good doubler at least that is what has been posted in the Rear projection side. My RPT has Firewire, DVI and Component and my question is are there any scalars or enhancers that can offer better performance for a reasonable cost? I have a friend that uses some product called a Vigitek or something like that and he uses a Hitachi Plasma and says it upsamples everything to 1081i or 720p. I know my unit will do 480i/p , 540p or 1080i but will simply downscale 720p to 540p creating a slight haze.

I am a total newbie at scaling/doubling but very quick to learn so you don't have to dumb it down too much. I am also considering whether products like

Richard Grays power center

or

PSB's similar product would help on the power side

I currently run everything through the Monster Powercenter 5100, which does have level 4 power conditioning and is supposed to clean up video somewhat.

Any help or education in this area qould be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.