AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie question of the day: Seems all of the widescreen models I'm looking at include a two tuner picture & picture feature (also referred to as twin view). Most of the sets have two RF antenna inputs in the back (which seems logical), but the Philips 34PW9818 only has one. Now I'm really confused. Does the Philips have an internal splitter requiring only one antenna input? Seems if I need to run a second signal through a VCR or other external tuner, that defeats the purpose of having internal two-tuner. Can someone please explain this to the Rookie?? Thanks.

PS. Will all of these twin-view features allow display of all possible inputs (eg., half screen cable, half screen xbox)?? Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Usually the TVs with PIP have two analog tuners internally fed by the one RF input. You can view 2 different channels from the single RF input. Of course this won't work if you are using a cable converter box to output as channel 3 only! You can also have the second view be from another video source like VCR or DVD. Also the PIP only usually works with NTSC video sources, not HD sources.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DonBerg,

Thanks for the reply. I have a follow up question, if you will indulge me. Naturally the scenario you describe (which won't work) is exactly where I am: I get digital cable from a converter box. So where does that leave me re PIP? Do I need to split the cable between the wall and the converter box and run the second cable through the VCR?? I was hoping to avoid this scenario, but I guess I might have no choice. Is this why many sets include two RF inputs?? Thanks again.

USF

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.