AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The room exists. It was originally planned to be a multipurpose room with a stereo and typical TV in it. But I found this web site and decided on bigger and grander. I'm one of those types that needs details in order to see things.

I'm planning on a 7.1 setup and will use one of the new 1280x720 DLP projectors with a 100" diagonal screen. The surround speakers are switchable dipole/tripole speakers made by von Schweikert. Other purchased equipment includes Velodyne subwoofer (HGS12), B&W speakers (N802s and NHTM1), Bryston 4bst and 9bst amps, AVM2 (need to replace with AVM20 or buy something like the Parsound cse6.1). I still need to buy the FP+screen, a HD receiver, and the DVD/CD player. (I'm using an old Sony CD player at the moment). Maybe a scaler depending on the FP.

The room is on the second floor. The door opens onto the landing at the top of the stairs. The only other rooms on the 2nd floor are the study and bathroom. The 4 exterior windows currently are covered by shades; they work fine at dark but don't work as well in daytime. The alcove contains a bar area. I needed to build a structure to mount the side surround on.

I prewired the room before I realized where I was headed, so I don't have all the cables in place that I need.
The wall insulation is foam so routing cables through the walls won't happen.
Fortunately, I believe I can reroute the prewire to the surround speakers without too much difficulty.

I need to decide on wall color (considering grey) and covering for the interior french windows and door. My mother-in-law is a very good seamstress and will make whatever curtains I need (I just need to decide).

Not shown, but located along the back wall are various pieces of exercise gear: weight machine, bicycling, etc.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
366 Posts
For running more wiring....is the carpet down yet? If not, I ran into a similar situation, with my old theater. I simply took a router and a v-groove bit and made a few channels in the floor, and ran speaker wire in the groove. Remember in a decently built house, the subflooring will actually be 2 layers of plywood. Also, be very careful of hitting nails, screws etc with the router. I covered the wire with duct tape, then pad and carpet. When we got rid of the house, I simply sniped the wires and left what was under the carpet there. It was in no way visible and you couldnt feel it. I am sure in 5 years when someone replaces that carpet, they are going to be wondering what the hell all that wiring is :) As for code...well I wouldnt run any electrical wire this way...but we never had a problem with just speaker wire.

·
Registered
864 Posts
> I'm planning on a 7.1 setup

Hello Ross.

I wonder if for a small room 6.1 is a better choice.

Main reason for this is that it allows you to use six identical speakers (three pairs).

Also, if you get the main speakers closer to the screen and the screen farther from the wall (center speaker behind the screen), you may be able to put the surrounds at the same distance from the sweet spot.

Regards.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I originally planned to have the screen located further from the wall. But to maximize screen size, I didn't do this. Moving the screen to be flush with the center speaker would push me toward a 92" diag instead of a 100" diag screen. (using SMPTE guidelines)

The front 3 speakers are made by B&W and should be matched okay. I was told by von Scheiwert that his surround speakers should match the B&Ws well.

Much of what I put into this was based on the info at the Dolby website and from comments from AVSforum members. For movies, the speakers should be closer together, but I'm opting for better stereo performance. My pre/pro has time delay adjustments, so it should handle the slight difference in distances (2-3 ms).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.