AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some basic questions to help out this old guy!

Current equipment - Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX, ACI Jaguars mains, ACI Essence center, ACI Emeralds 4 surrounds, dual Titan II subs, Emotiva XPA-3 amp for fronts. Thinking of getting up to date with receiver or pre-pro but have questions on room correction software.

My older Pioneer Elite uses their MCACC and it works well as best I can tell. Now I do have dual subwoofers so maybe having proper sub eq would be beneficial but I just don't understand what that would improve as the subs operate in such a narrow range. Can you explain that to me in laymans terms?

Has Pioneer improved their software since the version in mine?

And I guess the big question----

If I were to purchase a new Pioneer or Yamaha (that don't have sub eq), is there some way to perform sub eq in an add on box or some other fashion?

I lean toward Elites and Yamaha as I have had experienced great reliability from them. Seems most discussions about them are really critical of their correction software and trying to better understand that. Thank you so much for any education you can give me.

Pete

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
Hand-waving explanation: others will certainly jump in with all the details.

Much of the response variation comes at lower frequencies where wavelengths are longer. using 1130 ft/s for the speed of sound in air, at 100 Hz a wavelength is 11.3 ft, then 1.13 ft at 1 kHz and 0.113 ft (1.356 inches) at 10 kHz. Higher frequencies "break up" more readily as they interact with things in the room, while low frequencies are simply too long.

There are usually a few room modes, frequencies at which the sound is much greater or much weaker in intensity due to the dimensions of the room interacting with the sound waves to increase or decrease their amplitude (volume). How loud (or soft) they are depends upon room dimensions, listening positioning, room treatment (if any), frequency, etc. peaks can be tamed with EQ; nulls are the result of signal cancellation (sound hits a wall, bounces off inverted, and then cancels the sound when it meets at a certain distance away) and thus can be very deep and hard to fix.

New Elites have not added sub EQ. Popular solutions include Antimode and miniDSP units depending upon your level of expertise. The Antimode is a plug-and-play device, while a miniDSP requires some knowledge of filters and software to program the unit. You do not need to know a programming language, just know your way around a PC enough to run an app and go. Another solution is the Behringer DSP, again requiring some familiarity with filters and using a PC to load a program and run it to set the filters up.

HTH - Don

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Don.

I was unaware of the DSpeaker Anti-Mode and other products you mentioned. Am doing reading on those now. The Anti-Mode seems like a neat item and one I could try with my existing equipment. Will do some more research.

Pete

·
Registered
12,931 Posts
DEQ makes much more expensive/powerful units, but the Antimode seems the product of choice for relatively low cost and ease of use. Have fun! - Don

·
Registered
30,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50  /t/1414716/room-correction-and-sub-eq#post_22117858

DEQ makes much more expensive/powerful units, but the Antimode seems the product of choice for relatively low cost and ease of use. Have fun! - Don
DEQX?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
with two subs and careful placing you might not even need much sub eq. If I remember correctly, amp for ACI Titan has basic EQ capabilities and phase control. that may be all you need.

before buying anything I'd start by measuring your current system.
REW with inexpensive radioshack meter is probably the cheapest way to do it.
Omnimic is another popular choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts