AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this and trying to figure out a configuration that will work for both 2.1 and a future 5.1 expansion.

My current setup: Peachtree Nova300, pair of Aerial 6ts, and a Rythmik E15HP2
70% music, 30% HT

I'm looking to add room correction mainly for the sub at this time, but in the next couple of years I'll probably ad an AVR and expand out to a 5.1 system for HT use. Where my uncertainty comes from is about how to have room correction for the sub in both 2.1 and 5.1 configurations while keeping the nova as the main control for the 2.1. The nova has home theater bypass, so in theory it should be straight forward, but how do I maintain room correction for the sub in the 2.1 configuration if the AVR isn't active. Am I forced to use the AVR as the DAC and preamp at all times?

Would it be possible, or advised, to use something like the Anti-Mode 8033S-II in a 2.1 config and utilize the AVR for 5.1? This of course would require having the sub connected to two different sources and, once again, I'm not sure if that's possible or a good idea.

Or am I overthinking this and there is a much simpler way to accomplish this?

Thank for any input!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Does your sub have an L/R or line level input in addition to the LFE input? If it has those (or maybe a speaker level input) then you can easily connect multiple sources, so long as only one of them is playing at any time - most subs will combine the signal from all the sources.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does. Unfortunately it does not allow me to have room correction from both sources from the sub. After more research it looks like I'll have to connect the sub to two different sources (as you suggested), but have a separate room correction for each of those sources. Like using the avr for the surround source and a separate dsp for the stereo source.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The Nova is an integrated amp. I’m not sure how you would add room correction to it. Does it have a tape or processor loop?

Generally to do a combined system with room correction, you would need to add something like a MiniDSP 2x4HD with Dirac and a power amplifier for the front two speakers. So your setup would be
Dac/pre -> Room correction -> RCA switch -> amp -> speakers
AVR —> RCA switch -> amp -> speakers

And both room correction both send a .1 signal to different inputs on the sub.

Now you can combine the Dac/Pre and room correction into 1 box by using something like a MiniDSP SHD or a Nad C658

The Schiit Sys can act as a high quality RCA switch with no degradation of signal - based on the audioScienceReview review and measurements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does have a tape/processor loop. So for the stereo set up I could use something like the minidsp or anti-mode 2.0 if I want to correct the entire stereo signal (I think). Now my debate is about how much of the frequency range I want to correct. The anti-mode 8033s-ii only alters the sub. There seems to be many differing opinions on which route would be better.

I'll have to look until the rca switch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Assuming the HT bypass also bypasses the tape loop, you would not need an rca switch. The Nova itself would act as your switch.

This could work well. All you need to do is ensure you get an AVR with preouts.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Also note Dirac on the MiniDSP allows you to limit your correction to any frequency range you want, So at a similar price point, it’s probably more flexible than the anti mode

It also has 3 Dirac slots, so you can store different configurations

1 - 8 of 8 Posts