AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Can someone suggest a room correction software? I am not an audiophile but want to check to see if I can improve my setup before spending more money on speakers. I spoke to Kef and they suggested to looking into room correction software before upgrading..
My current setup..

LCR - Ci4100
4 Height Speakers - Ci200QR
Surround - Ci160TS
Dual SVS SB-2000 Pro
Marantz 602
Outlaw Monoblocks powering the LCR

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
What are you using to decode surround sound? Chances are good any system that enabled ATMOS like you have also has a decent room correction system built in.

But the biggest upgrade would be room treatment and setup, even before room correction.

Post a photo of your setup and or drawing of the room. Confirm you are running the Ci4100 as "small" set to 80hz or higher crossover. Share how you have the SVS setup.

Those three factors are foundational. After that, room correction can assist with the final 10%.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, speakers set as small and crossover set to 80. Will post pics. For some reason, the system doesn't sound as good while watching movies. A Kef rep suggested to try 3rd party room correction software before spending money on r11s. :)

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Those are very good speakers. I doubt that upgrading would solve a problem. Those speakers should sound great. (Yes, higher end speakers would be 5% more amazing, but it would be subtle and likely over ridden by any issues with room and setup.)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi,

Most likely it's just your room. At this point, the best thing to do is measure your room response with the speakers you have and see what's happening. Measure it without room correction. Identify the reflections or nulls and modes and optimally place your speakers and optimally treat the surfaces in the room. Then, measure again. Then do room correction with your AVR's built in protocol. Measure it again after this to see what it did effectively. Tweak from there.

Putting new speakers in the same place as your current speakers will result in nearly an identical response curve give or take 2~3 db (unless they're extremely huge and bigger, but it still will be similar, again can't stress this enough, the room is what you're hearing mostly).

A USB calibrated microphone (Mini DSP UMIK 1 for example) and REW (free software) can reveal all this for you.

Very best,

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think the first thing to do is make sure you have optimized your room and whatever room correction ability you already have in your system. When I look up Marantz 602 all I find is a 2 channel microphone preamp, so I don't know what you currently have. Perhaps you have something like Audyssey XT32 and dynamic volume or EQ are turned on and don't work well for you. Maybe your subs are in a bad location. It should be straight forward (and free!) to learn how to optimize what you already have, including making sure your subs are located correctly in your room. Then, if it still is not what you want, dive into room treatments, which could include bass traps, wall panel absorbers, diffusors, or changes to floor covering. Rooms have a huge impact on sound, so understanding your room and how to make it play nice with your sound system can make all the difference in the world. Pictures would really help.

Regards,
Steve

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the first thing to do is make sure you have optimized your room and whatever room correction ability you already have in your system. When I look up Marantz 602 all I find is a 2 channel microphone preamp, so I don't know what you currently have. Perhaps you have something like Audyssey XT32 and dynamic volume or EQ are turned on and don't work well for you. Maybe your subs are in a bad location. It should be straight forward (and free!) to learn how to optimize what you already have, including making sure your subs are located correctly in your room. Then, if it still is not what you want, dive into room treatments, which could include bass traps, wall panel absorbers, diffusors, or changes to floor covering. Rooms have a huge impact on sound, so understanding your room and how to make it play nice with your sound system can make all the difference in the world. Pictures would really help.

Regards,
Steve
Sorry. It's Marantz SR 6013

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Most likely it's just your room. At this point, the best thing to do is measure your room response with the speakers you have and see what's happening. Measure it without room correction. Identify the reflections or nulls and modes and optimally place your speakers and optimally treat the surfaces in the room. Then, measure again. Then do room correction with your AVR's built in protocol. Measure it again after this to see what it did effectively. Tweak from there.

Putting new speakers in the same place as your current speakers will result in nearly an identical response curve give or take 2~3 db (unless they're extremely huge and bigger, but it still will be similar, again can't stress this enough, the room is what you're hearing mostly).

A USB calibrated microphone (Mini DSP UMIK 1 for example) and REW (free software) can reveal all this for you.

Very best,
Thanks.. I ordered the Mini DSP UMIK 1..

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sorry. It's Marantz SR 6013
Your receiver has Audyssey XT32 room correction, which you should absolutely run if you haven't already. The UMIK mic you purchased is a good investment, and great for verifying that your audyssey room correction is working correctly, but everything you need to run RC should have been included with your existing receiver.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Im curious too what the room setup is and if audessey has been run correctly. I just sold my older avr to a friend. We talked about how he was liking the unit. Said it was ok but not like his old unit. He ran 3 positions only and they were in seats 5-7ft apart from each other. Once that was corrected he was very happy.
Regards Rich

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks.. I ordered the Mini DSP UMIK 1..
Hi,

It's very easy to use. Lots of tutorials out there. It will let you see what your room is doing, accurately, instead of just doing it by ear (which is really, really bad... our ears are horrible by comparison). This way you can see what your room is doing, what your room correction is doing, and what you can do to naturally correct as much as you can so that your room correction software does a better job.

Plus, measuring frequency response and delay and stuff is really fun. You learn a lot about audio in general, but it really helps iron down how you're listening to room response, not a speaker, and certainly not a difference in amps and absolutely no difference in DACs, etc.

Very best,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your receiver has Audyssey XT32 room correction, which you should absolutely run if you haven't already. The UMIK mic you purchased is a good investment, and great for verifying that your audyssey room correction is working correctly, but everything you need to run RC should have been included with your existing receiver.
yes I did run it couple of times initially when I purchased the receiver using the cardboard tripod provided. I also order a tripod today so I will try audyssey again once I receive the tripod.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Wow... lots of hard reflective surfaces. That room is probably a big problem which is why its sounding not how you want it to be. Room treatment, stat!

Very best,

·
Registered
12,752 Posts
Given the shape it’s hard to predict the best locations for the subs. You might try it with just one and see how Audyssey does with that as an experiment.

You might also try it without the center channel. That’s a tough spot for a center channel. In you Marantz just tell it you don’t have a center channel before running Audyssey. (It will send the content to the left and right speaker.)

When you run Audyssey just take all the measurements with a foot of the main seat. That way it will make that area sound best.

If you want to take it to the next level, some acoustic panels will probably help. You could place panels where those paintings are. A place like GIK acoustics can put a picture on a panel. So it is kind of like a painting.

If you have a digital file of those pictures on your wall they can probably print it on a panel.

And if you send them the photos of your room they can advise about how many panels might be best. I would get at least enough to place one or two on the right and left wall.

It would be great to get something behind you but a panel there, while it could be freestanding, would block the windows. Heavier drapes on the window behind you would be a good step that is less extreme.

By the way the guy at KEF was right. A speaker upgrade probably wouldn’t be the solution.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts