AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finishing a basement and can use a section for my HT. Because of the center stairway and limited size, the current layout is the only one that works at all. I am at the part to begin desiging the interior design, and would like to place columns with sconce lights on them as well as accoustical panels to help with the sound. Because it is not a 100 % dedicated room with symetrical walls, it presents some unique challenges. Here is the drawing. Can somebody help me with the number and location of the columns as well as the sound absorbing panels? To the right of the theater room, is a wet bar area. I am currently leaning for starting the HT theme immediately after the bathroom in the hall as you turn right going down the stairs. I do not currently plan to continue the theme past the wet bar. The drawing is to scale, but I will have to mount the projector underneath the center bulkhead around the HVAC ductwork directly above the theater seats. Throw distance is around 12' with view distance of around 10.5. I am going to build a mini stage and custom cabinets around the screen, but only have a 7.5' ceiling.

Thanks for any help advice,

Dave

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody care to comment at all?

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Plan on getting the seating away from the rear wall at least a couple of feet. You'll also need some sort of absorbtion in that right rear corner of that area or the right seat is going to be awfully boomy.

Bryan

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just a thought - but if you put a wall between the bar area and the screen room it would make a nice place to put a screen. You could then close up that room and really get the chance to improve the sound.

Of course, you lose the 'openness' of the room.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Misterkit,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I looked at that option in detail. The problem is I have to access to the storage room, and I need to keep a few feet spacing from the seats to the door into that room. That does not leave enough view distance for the screen on the other wall. My house is a series of smaller rooms upstairs, so I really want to make the basement one big room as well.

bpape,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the view distance is not far enough to move the seats up much. I am really interested in you sound absorption suggestions. Should I put acoustic panels on both walls behind the theater seats to reduce boominess? Since the seats are under the HVAC duct work header, should I also put acoustic panels on the front side of the header to reduce reflections back to the front (screen) wall. Lastly I was going to put accoustic panels on the left wall up to the door into the storage room, but what about continuing them past the A/V rack to the Bathroom on that wall, and should I panel the bathroom wall facing the screen as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cherokee,

You really should call Ethan or Scott at RealTraps and get their advice and

buy whatever they suggest. A lot of the people here want to DIY everything.

From the sound of your post, and the complexity of your room, you might do

better buying products from a company like RealTraps that really knows what

they're doing.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi2daSox /forum/post/0

Cherokee,

You really should call Ethan or Scott at RealTraps and get their advice and

buy whatever they suggest. A lot of the people here want to DIY everything.

From the sound of your post, and the complexity of your room, you might do

better buying products from a company like RealTraps that really knows what

they're doing.

HiFi, Bryan (bpape) is also a professional when it comes to acoustics. He can take care of Cherokee as well.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan to put acoustic panels on the front side of the soffit in the middle of the room as well as on the back / back right walls and left side walls. Probably 2x4 or 2x6 panels. What material should I make these out of linacoustic covered in FR 701? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Laying out a plan for a room like that needs more than just a quick answer. There are lots of different things to consider.

As I said before, moving the seating is IMO critical. You can absorb till you're blue in the face but if your head is right against a wall AND kind of in a corner, the bass will be boomy there.

In general:

- Kill the whole front wall.

- Reflection panels on the side walls

- Thick absorber in the left rear corner by the bathroom.

- Please do what you can to deal with the seating position and that corner. Even a foot will help. You'll likely have to treat the wall behind the couch. Even if you can only get a chunk on the floor in that right corner behind the couch it will help some.

Bryan

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
PS

why?

1) closed off room (OK bar included)

2) screen can roll up door access is still there

3) room is a bit longer so seat can be a bit farther from back wall

4) not perfect, but the bar can be used as extra seating (you can even add a small counter behind the couch) for stool people to watch and drink

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1. Yes

2. Yes

Thanks for the help, but I am at odds with balancing all the real world issues. I need to leave access to that storage room as we will have a freezer in there and access it a lot. I also do not want a drop down screen as kids will enevitably run by it and rip it. I think my layout will need to stay basically the same, but bpape is helping me with to improve the acoustics. I am trying to make final design decisions around how much sound isolation to put in. Right now my recessed lights in the basement will short circuit most sound isolation improvements.

Does anybody have a link to post details around building MDF boxes around the recessed light cans? Do you insulate the interior of the boxes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.